What's new

Coaster With Longest Opening Day Wait?

CoburnJason54

Roller Poster
What coaster on it's opening day had the longest wait? I have heard many numbers that were big like Coney Island Cyclone and Magnum back in the day had huge waits, but do we know which coaster had the biggest wait? I feel like some poor capacity coaster (like Superman at SFDK) or a ride like that would have the longest.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Wouldnt it be a tie between the 3 Major Intamin installations at Point?

Millinnium Force
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick

I remember when Millie opened the news was stating a minimum of 6hr wait during its opening season, plus Ive heard elsewhere thay it could have gone up to an 8hr wait.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Why would anyone join a queue and think 'oh, 8 hours, yeah I've got nothing better to do for the next 8 hours'.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I remember reading that both X/X2 and Superman at SFMM had 6-7+ hour waits when they opened, but haven't got a proper source on that.

Snoo

The Legend
I haven't heard anything long then TTD/MF when they opened.. around 6-8 hours ALL day. The beginning rush for Maverick was quite long but it didn't maintain all day.

bmac

Giga Poster
Kingda Ka had a line of around 6-7 hours on opening day, but that was mainly because it needed to be reset every other launch.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Magnum and Gemini both toughted 5 hour waits back in the day. The summer of 1989 was also famous for Cedar Point as it was the last time the park hit capacity due to the popularity of Magnum. Guests could not be allowed in until additional guests had left the park.

Dragster and MF probably both take the cake. MF was the bigger sight to see, as the original queue was simply massive, taking up all of the cement pathway under the final overbank. The line for the ride then stretched from the entrance of MF to half way down the Main Midway.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Didn't the Smiler have 8 hour queues on opening day?

I've also read that Corkscrew at AT had at least 6 hour waits during the first few weeks of operation.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I hadn't heard that about the Smiler.

This thread is turning a bit into fish stories. As the threads gets longer, so do the wait times of various roller coasters. :razz:

marc

CF Legend
You heard wrong. We queued an hour on opening day for 13.

Nemesis I queued 4 hours as I did for Air.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
15 hours? A little simple maths would tell you that us utter bull ****. Thirteen's capacity is 1200 riders per hour (according to google at least), that's 18,000 people queuing which is probably getting on for the park's total capacity. Lol, just lol.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Tatsu was at 6 opening day, the queue was almost to Gold Rusher. Having fast pass opening day and the brilliant LA market clientele trying to understand they had to put their knives, bandanas, and chain wallets in lockers was too much.

While not a coaster, Radiator Springs Racer was 12 hours I believe. It could have been 19 with a camera phone as proof, but we may never know the truth.

This thread is going to be really fun in a few weeks.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Jordanovichy said:
15 hours? A little simple maths would tell you that us utter bull ****. Thirteen's capacity is 1200 riders per hour (according to google at least), that's 18,000 people queuing which is probably getting on for the park's total capacity. Lol, just lol.

My '15 hrs' comment was designed to be a sarcastic one, relevant to the post above. I'm not an idiot.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
Actually TTD's wait got up to 6+ hours back in 2003, one of my friends waited for it the last day of his 3 day trip to the Point back then and wanted to ride so stuck through the six hour wait and rode.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Would Flying Turns at Knoebels count as a 7 year wait? :razz: