What's new

Cedar Point to close Snake River Falls

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Cedar Point are closing Snake River Falls on September 2nd:

It is closing to make way for an as yet not revealed "future expansion", so that's something to keep an eye on...

Alright let's compile some information here;

April 27, 2024; That survey for new coasters included a Vekoma Tilt, stupid Mack Xtreme spinner tower, Zamperla family shuttle coaster, and a Mack water coaster (leaking a pitch for Freizeitpark Plohn's 2026 project, meaning that they've indeed already had meetings with Mack reps).

Exactly one week later; Tony Clark confirmed that a contract had been signed for "the next big whatever" the week previous. It'd been assumed to be a 2025 waterpark addition, since they'd just removed two very similar slides at the same time as Dorney (who've been explicit about 2025 replacements on their end), but no timeline was given in this statement and it could very well be this project.

I find it VERY interesting that these two developments apparently happened within the space of a couple days.

In any case, here's the land we now have to play with between Snake River Falls and this side of the now-former Forbidden Frontier. Definitely opens up a decent chunk of room.
Screen Shot 2024-08-02 at 11.48.08 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Aqua Trax that doesn't look slow?
Dang beat me to it!

So for general state of play, this opens up yet more real estate around Millennium Island, as Forbidden Frontier and Snake River Expedition boat ride are also now retired. A lot of leeway and layout availability… if anything were to actually be forming.

Also, if removing Snake River Falls helps preserve Cedar Creek Mine Ride for real estate sake - count me in!

I would love to see a high capacity high thrill coaster in this plot. It would help with crowd management to have a third major coaster in the area to draw some of the crowds away from Steel Vengeance and Maverick when their lines are long. Plus it would help distribute the crowd every time one of those two dumps their queue because of maintenance headaches.

Edit: so maybe NOT an extreme spinner, unless Mack can figure out how to triple the capacity of Ride to Happiness. According rcdb, RtH only does 550 riders per hour, which is even worse capacity than Maverick.

Last edited: