What's new

"Blower motors" on impulse coasters?

nootnoot

Roller Poster
I've always been curious and hope someone has an answer or at least a good guess for me... I've noticed mainly on inverted impulse coasters such as Wicked Twister and Possessed, there are, what appear to be, blower motors alongside the LIMS. Like these circular devices feeding into the side of the LIMs. Closest thing they resemble to me is either water or air turbines. I've always been curious about what they do. I've noticed a sound that seems to be air rushing throughout the station, even when the train is stationary. Are these motors just cooling for the LIMs? A small thing but I've always wanted to know how coasters work and this has been a big thing that has stumped and bugged me for a while. I can't find a picture of them anywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I feel like I'm nuts lol...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
My understanding is that they're for cooling the LIMs.

By virtue of their design, LIMs are less efficient than LSMs and therefore generate more heat (that wasted energy has to go somewhere). The blowers are there, probably, just to keep some air moving over the fins to prevent long term damage.

I suspect they're probably required on the Inverted impulse coasters as the station and track is much more dense/congested so there might not be enough air movement otherwise. That explains (or rather, is my explanation of) why you don't see them on all sections of LIM launches (e.g. Superman or the Premier launchers).

Don't worry, I've seen these and know what your describing. You're not going nuts! :D

Trax

Hyper Poster
LIM and LSM modules produce quite a lot of heat while launching, and as Hixee explained, often times they are cooled to prevent overheating.

Launches where the same module is used multiple times are more likely to require cooling, and high power launches as well. Premier Rides uses a pipe with holes in it for cooling, Mack uses the same sort of blower style Fans for cooling, as well es Vekoma. The newer Intamin models use water cooling to get rid of the heat.