What's new

Beyond vertical

peep

CF Legend
Soz if there is already a similar topic.

I've been thinking, with Eurofighters and Mumbo Jumbo having beyond vertical drops does it actually make it a good ride?

I personally feel that Oblivion's vertical drop is much more intimidating and exhilarating than any 97 degree drop on a Eurofighter coaster that I've been on. I feel the going over bit is just meh and just not worth the fuss. I prefer Saw's indoor drop rather than it's main drop just because its quicker and has more impact.

I haven't ridden Mumbo Jumbo but it looks terrible (the drop that is) and I see no point in setting a record if it means destroying the overall ride experience.

So are you like me and find these beyond vertical drops a stupid gimmick?

I think you're onto something there. Oblivion's drop is far more intimidating I feel because it is slightly less than vertical, meaning you can see the whole drop and follow the track to it's daunting black hole (pardon the pun :lol: ).

Whereas with Eurofighters and I presume Loco's where the drop is slightly more than vertical, you cannot follow the track and it just feels like a drop. The track itself is also much less impressive than the KitKat Chunky composition of B&M's track.

This could also explain why Saw's indoor drop is more impressive, because you can't see it :p .

So out of the one B&M dive machine I've been on, yes it makes a good ride, because all it really is is a gimmick, yet I like it alot. But on Eurofighter's it serves only as a gimmick to make a meh ride relatively good.

I don't see being vertical an intimidating factor on Oblivion. I think it's the sound, and the fact that you can pretty much feel the vibrations of the damn thing. Also the sheer size of B&M Dive Machine track looks far more powerful and dominating compared to a pansy Eurofighter.

It's not, it's 88 degrees, or so I am lead to believe.

Much prefer a vertical drop, I think it gives a much more forceful feeling than a sissy *beyond vertical* drop. Also, like has been mentioned, the B&M track oozes intimidation and scariness whereas the Eurofighter track seems a bit pants in comparison, therefore leading to a less intense ride experience.

I can't wait for the whole *beyond vertical* fad to die out, I want more rolling launches dammit!

In my opinion, beyond vertical drops do not necessarily make a ride good. However, good rides can have them. An example could be Maverick. While it's a good ride, it's not the beyond-vertical drop that makes it good. I think they are cool elements, but they just aren't good enough to hype-up an entire ride on their own.

Well.. I personally prefer SLIGHTLY more then vertical drops.. as Maverick/Fahrenheit show.

Now I've been on almost vertical, vertical, over vertical, and stupidly past vertical, and my favorite of all of them is Fahrenheit.. but I do think that if Steel Hawg wouldn't have been trimmed, it would have blown them out of the water.

But.. that's just me.

I've done a few more than verticals, and two verticals. The verticals easily win and Fahrenheit was as meh as all the others.

I think, it's because we have lots of them but only one (blinding) vertical drop over in Europe. So we don't see anything special in the beyond vertical.

Rage/Maverick angle is just fine. I like that. Rips you out your seat for a quick burst.

Saw's too steep. It has no feeling. The gimmick killed it.

Blivvy is floaty. Like well fun. Its probally better than the BV for a long drawn out floater.

80 degrees-ish is the perfect angle IMO. Millie/Saw mini-drop.

I've been on a few vertical coasters, but only one with a beyond vertical drop, which would be Maverick. I'd definitely prefer Maverick's drop to any of the vertical ones I've experienced, because it gives off some of the best airtime I've had on a coaster. The vertical ones are cool to look down at, but really provide no airtime or anything.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
I've been on a few vertical coasters, but only one with a beyond vertical drop, which would be Maverick. I'd definitely prefer Maverick's drop to any of the vertical ones I've experienced, because it gives off some of the best airtime I've had on a coaster. The vertical ones are cool to look down at, but really provide no airtime or anything.

Which vertical ones have you been on? Sheikra, Griffon, Oblivion, G5 or the new one in China?

^There's other vertical coasters... Shuttles, sure, but, vertical!

The only beyond vertical drop that really impressed me was Fahrenheit, and even that isn't a slight patch on the Dive Machines' drops, or even Stunt Fall's drop, so...

Ben said:
^There's other vertical coasters... Shuttles, sure, but, vertical!

I suppose, but I don't think they're really what peep was getting at - he was on about a traditional circuit coaster.

Not done a GIB, but Voodoo I didn't really see as a drop. Even at the back, you're not that high up in the air. It was good fun, but nothing special I suppose - so in that case, yeah, beyond vertical, but it's a crap comparison.

euro fighter

I have not been on a euro fighter or a vertical drop coaster (but am going on Saw and Oblivion both very soon.) but if speed is a big part of the fear factor when you go on a coaster, a vertical drop gives you more speed than a over vertical because you go straight down not back on yourself. Surely this means it is a gimmick as you get air time in both!

i think 90 degree's is enough, even where you go on rides like saw, you dont feel like your actually coming in on yourself.

^ I think you feel it, definitely. It's not as thrilling as vertical however.

It might be to do with velocity. When you go beyond vertical the train wheels run on the tracks in the same way as sub-vertical drops, causing friction and slowing the car up. With a vertical drop, you almost feel like the wheels are just catching you at the bottom, so the gravity feels more intense.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
Which vertical ones have you been on? Sheikra, Griffon, Oblivion, G5 or the new one in China?

Dragster and Ka technically have 90 degree drops..

They do, but you have no idea :p

The dive machines have a fantastic kind of floater air time. It's really difficult to explain.

The over 90 degree's are just ejector, but it's no different to any other ejector airtime (IMO). Plus they tend to have the OTSR which I hate with ejector, so the whole thing is just a dead duck for me.

I prefer the vertical drops, the hold on the edge is great. I prefer that then being dragged straight over the top.
Eurofighters are fun, but no where near as good as the vertical drops.