What's new

Best park to visit when staying in New York City

Jools

Giga Poster
Mum's recently booked a holiday for New York in April, but I don't really hear about any parks in or around New York to visit, as we're allowed ot have one day at a park, isn't a Six Flags park there, or Darien Lake, and I think Lake Compounce is nearby, plus Astroland, what would you suggest?

Coney Island is shut down this year for the redevelopment isn't it? Last year there was only enough there to keep you going.

Great Adventure is the place. It's within travelling distance and you'd regret being that close and missing out on some fantastic rides, and a great park.

Lake Compounce, SFNE, et al are close in US terms, but you'll be looking at two hour plus drives to them. So it really depends on how far the family wish to travel? If you can slot in SFNE and Lake Compounce if you have a hire car - you're looking at getting on two of the world's best rides.

However, Great Adventure has one of the world's best woodies, and 16 other rides (including the world's tallest and fastest (at the moment :p ), a flier better than air and a B&M Mega).

Given the choice, I really would go for Great Adventure, but I'd be very tempted by SFNE and LC :)

How long are you guys staying in NYC?

You guys are staying in the greatest city the U.S. has to offer, so if you can't make it to SFGAdv (or Dorney, that is about the same distance from NYC), you're still in a great spot to be a tourist! :razz:

Random time but 9 days, although that does include the day we go to the airport, so 7/8 really.

Keep in mind that April is very early in the season & parks will only be open on weekends, but at least the crowds will be smaller. I would suggest you go to SFGAdv over Dorney, but if you can manage to rent a car for the weekend do SFGAdv one day & Lake Compounce on the other. It's well worth the 2 hour drive to Bristol, Connecticut to ride the best coaster on the planet - Boulder Dash!
You can take the subway to Coney Island on the Friday evening before going to SFGAdv & ride Cyclone. Cyclone (& the Wonder Wheel) is independent of the parks there (Astroland closed in 2008) & is open Friday evenings in addition to all day Saturday & Sunday.

Hyde244 said:
How long are you guys staying in NYC?

You guys are staying in the greatest city the U.S. has to offer, so if you can't make it to SFGAdv (or Dorney, that is about the same distance from NYC), you're still in a great spot to be a tourist! :razz:

Damn it, you made tea come out my nose from laughing so hard!

^ I don't see your disdain for the place.

Do you have a better U.S. city in mind?

Hyde244 said:
^ I don't see your disdain for the place.

Do you have a better U.S. city in mind?

I hear Boston's pretty swell :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys :--D

From what I remember when I planned a trip there, SFGAdv was about 60 miles away, yet SFNE & LC were around 150 miles away I think.

If I had to choose though, it would have to be SFGAdv. Morey's Piers isn't too far from their either, its nothing spectacular, but looks fun none the less.