What's new

Benelux Deluxe (Toverland, Efteling, Bobbejaanland) - August 2024

NemesisRider

Roller Poster
Intro: The Siren Song of the Eurostar Sale

I’m almost as much of a sucker for a good deal as I am a good theme park. For this reason, when I saw I could get a one-way Eurostar ticket from Brussels to London for a mere £35, the cogs in my brain began to turn. I’ve long considered a trip to the Netherlands using Ryanair’s dirt-cheap Manchester to Eindhoven connection – using this in combination with Eurostar would allow me to tick off Bobbejaanland, the last major Belgian park I was yet to visit, alongside some of the Southern Dutch parks I’ve been eyeing for a while.

As I’ve grown more accustomed to travelling solo to parks in the last year or so, I’ve grown more confident in taking on parks with slightly more challenging public transport connections. I planned to arrive mid-afternoon in Eindhoven from Manchester, have a brief explore, then stay in the city centre for the night. On my first full day in the Netherlands, I would travel an hour or so East and visit Toverland, before doubling back West to reach Kaatsheuvel by the end of the night. Next, I would have one full day at Efteling, staying at an Airbnb within 15 minutes walk of the park to save me an arduous journey home after the 9pm close. Lastly, I would depart Kaatsheuvel early and take a messy combination of buses and trains to Bobbejaanland, where I would have a near full day to explore before heading back to London on the last Eurostar of the night. Phew.

EI02 IMG_3286.jpg

Flash forward to late August. After landing in sunny Eindhoven without a hitch and subsequently buying my own weight in Stroopwafel at Albert Heijn, I went for a wander around the city. Eindhoven is mostly pedestrianised and easily walkable - the Dutch certainly know how to do urbanism. I went to a well-reviewed noodle shop for dinner then headed home to rest up before a jam-packed few days...

Day 1: Toverland

Toverland is surprisingly well-connected by public transport – a 25-minute hop on the train from Eindhoven Centraal to Horst-Sevenum, then a short local bus took me to near the park. Unfortunately, the park’s main entrance was not fantastically signed, so I confidently followed 2 staff members to the wrong one before I realised my folly. In spite of my poor direction skills, I was comfortably at the gates for the 10am opening, and ready to go.

TO11 IMG_3440.jpg

I find the history of Toverland fascinating. It is arguably the most successful “self-made” theme park to open in Europe in the 2000s, starting as a large indoor play area in 2001 then gradually expanding to capitalise on its growing success. After the success of Troy in 2006, the park seemed to shift gear, moving towards elaborately themed areas of the quality one might expect from industry titans like Europa Park. This is made more impressive by the fact it remains a family business without major corporate or government backing; the folks at Toverland should be very proud of what they’ve achieved.

I visited on the first standard day following Toverland’s “Summer Feelings”, with beautiful weather and the park operating a 10-6pm day. Crowd levels were low to modest, with most queues sitting comfortably below 15 minutes all day despite one train operations.

TO04 IMG_3385.jpg

The main entry, Port Laguna, doesn’t really have any rides per se, instead seeking to serve primarily as a gateway comparable to something like Islands of Adventure’s Port of Entry. Its charmingly detailed buildings and vibrant colours are a statement of intent: “yes, we’re a proper theme park, and we’re playing in the big leagues now”. The park’s main shop can also be found here, offering a surprisingly great selection of merch.

The indoor area at Toverland was my first stop. My research had revealed that Maximus’ Blitz Bahn was the optimal place to start my day, given its terrible capacity and tendency to amass long queues. Luckily, there is an appealingly detailed queueline going through Maximus’ house to entertain you whilst you wait, added as part of a retheme from the original Woudracer identity. Blitz Bahn was the best coaster (?) of this type I’ve ridden, taking off abruptly into the darkness then whizzing through the track at amusing speed. The nearby Zork Expedition has also benefited from a recent-ish overhaul, importantly including the installation of a large goblin head doing a pouty face. Compared to most flumes it has minimal filler, incorporating both a backwards and a forwards drop in its short ride time. It’s no Chiapas, but I found it better than the average flume.

Crossing through a small, themed passage leads you to the second part of the indoor area. Admittedly, I didn’t spend much time investigating here as there were plenty of more exciting things still left for me to do in the park and it is a bit out of the way. Sadly, as the oldest section of Toverland, I think it is arguably the weakest, feeling more like a big warehouse than part of a genuinely world class theme park. It’s also home to Toos-Express, a mostly forgettable Vekoma family +1. I genuinely think the ride itself was less memorable than the faff to find it’s unintuitively situated entrance.

TO10 IMG_3312.jpg

Emerging back into the daylight, it was time to go racing! Or something like that, the ride’s theme is a bit non-existent. Booster Bike, Vekoma’s prototype motorbike coaster, has an odd restraint system best compared to a Zamperla Disko. Whilst the restraints have more flex than the former, the seating position is a bit compromising, feeling a lot less glamorous than Intamin’s motorbike-styled straddle coasters. Luckily, the layout is good fun for a family coaster, with a reasonably punchy launch, some swoopy low-to-the-ground sections and decent airtime hills. Nothing mind-blowing, but better than I expected.

TO06 IMG_3427.jpg

The fantasy themed Magische Vallei, to me, best underlines the turning point where Toverland really began to up their game in regard to themed area design. There are cute play areas, hidden pathways to explore, and a small fountain show at Katara Plaza. Later in the day I got lunch at the restaurant here, getting a Turkish kebab meal for a very reasonable £10. The main coaster of the land, Dwervelwind, is a fantastic family ride. I was impressed by how it offered a much more comfortable experience than the Maurer models whilst still offering enough excitement and force to entertain a thrill-seeker like me. When the cars are off-balance, you can get a great spin going! Venturing further into the valley, the Djengu River Rapids includes a lot of pretty rockwork but was definitely on the tamer side for a rapids, offering little more than a gentle misting.

TO05 IMG_3414.jpg

OK, time for the big boys. Avalon was definitely what put Toverland on the map for me personally – as a Flug Der Daemonen enjoyer with a historic soft spot for wing coasters, Fenix looked like precisely my kind of ride. However, even with these reasonably high expectations, this area blew me away. It would not feel out of place in somewhere like Europa Park, which is frankly astounding considering Toverland’s age and humble roots. Fenix looks fantastic, with its shiny golden trains zipping around on the royal blue track. The location of the Pixarus skyfly, nestled in the bird’s main helix, is an inspired choice that creates some neat interactions. The presentation allows even non-riders to feel involved in the action and enjoy all the area’s rides in motion.

TO01 IMG_3320.jpg

As for Fenix, I personally think this is a clear winner for the best wing coaster in Europe. It’s very much a full package, combining detailed theming and solid ride hardware. The queue is exquisite, perfectly setting the tone for the ride ahead, although it was so dark that I nearly got lost on my first journey through. After choosing your wing (I slightly preferred the right), you enter the similarly lush station and get ready to board. The pre-lift even has a cool animatronic dragon, which definitely earns it a few bonus points. A panoramic turn after the lift leads into the opening dive drop, which is strong but not the best in its class. B&M’s wing coasters with longer trains like The Swarm seem to be profiled slightly differently to offer a more suspenseful and hangtime-y drop, in my view. This is then followed by an exceptional airtime hill, offering sustained airtime that I thought previously impossible on a wing coaster. Diving under a pathway, Fenix charges through an Immelmann and into the helix, which offers a near grey-out moment of intensity. The wonderfully floaty zero-g roll brings back your vision, before a couple more rapid twists and turns bring you back to the station. Despite being on the shorter side for a wing coaster, it is entirely satisfying, and extra length could easily have diluted the breakneck pace. 10 laps solidified this as a definite top 25 ride for me.

TO02 IMG_3335.jpg

Avalon is not just about Fenix, however. Pixarus, whilst visually fantastic, is one of the weaker skyflys I have ridden. I found it very hard to get spinning properly, which lead to a lot of time being hung almost upside down in various compromising positions. Merlin’s Quest is thankfully more enjoyable, offering a chilled sail through the area and an absolutely gorgeous, albeit brief, dark ride section. I ultimately skipped the Dragonwatch family drop tower to focus on reriding Fenix more, but it also looked good fun.

TO12 IMG_3404.jpg

Toverland’s original headlining thrill coaster is much less of a whole package than Fenix, but offers a raucously fun experience. The Ithaka area is comparatively plain, and Troy’s twister layout is very self-contained, making photographing it tricky. It does have a little theatrical flair though, notably including a station fly-through which will leave your ears in pain as riders go shrieking through. Troy mostly consists of rapid-fire banked turns and violent airtime pops, but also throws in some more varied manoeuvres like the sustained floater hill. Despite feeling like quite a long coaster, it hauls through the layout with plenty of speed right until the brakes. Troy is just about the upper limit of characterful roughness for me, in no small part rescued by the comfy Millenium Flyer trains. Some of the initial valleys, particularly going into the first turnaround, would definitely benefit from retracking to tone the shakiness down a little; I finished the day with bruised hips and would have struggled to properly lap the coaster without getting a headache. Equally, I absolutely want a GCI like Troy to have some rough and tumble, and it’s certainly far less painful than a ride like Thundercoaster or Tonnerre 2 Zeus. I found myself preferring the front row on the ride, as it offered stronger airtime and a smoother experience, but any seat offered a good time. Whilst I think Fenix just barely edges out Troy for me, Toverland have a deceptively strong 1-2 punch here.

TO08 IMG_3375.jpg

Whilst I would have happily stayed for a nineth lap on Troy, I had a bus to catch, and so left the park at 6pm. Toverland left me thoroughly charmed – the park is fun to just exist in, with wonderfully themed areas, a great lineup of family attractions and two really good thrill coasters. Whilst I cred ran the place in under 3 hours, it would be a disservice not to give it a full day to enjoy. Toverland’s recent additions seem to have only increased in quality, so I will be watching the park with great interest as they push to become a multi-day destination.

Next up: speedrunning the World of Wonders.

Great TR! I did a similar trip about 18 months ago and I agree that getting to Toverland by public transport is a lot easier to get to than it looks. The Dutch don't mess about when it comes to urban planning and rail connections.

Fenix is definitely one of the strongest wing coasters there is in terms of force, almost reminiscent of a 90s B&M.

Last edited:
^ 100% agree on both points. Looking on the NS app and seeing doable 3 minute changes on trains is something one can only dream of in the UK!

---

Buckle up folks, this is gonna be a longer one.

Day 2: Efteling

Efteling is one those European parks which I'd heard raved about since I first got into this hobby. I remember being obsessed with the look of Baron 1898 when it first opened, but other parts of the world ended up taking priority. That sunny August morning, I will admit, even my hardened thoosie heart was set aflutter seeing the park's iconic entrance in person for the first time. I'd finally made it, and it was time to tick off another one of the Big Boys.

EF14 IMG_3441.jpg

My Airbnb was around a 15-minute walk from the park in the sleepy suburbia of Kaatsheuvel. I was immediately reminded of Rust, the similarly small town surrounding Europa Park - whereas Rust seems to have embraced the tourism brought by the multi-million Euro theme park empire, Kaatsheuvel feels strangely disconnected from it. Most importantly, there is a good sized Albert Heijn supermarket for you to restock on drinks and snacks and avoid the park's high prices.

In planning, I thought 1 day would be adequate to get a good flavour for the place, since I was hoping to be back in the Netherlands once Walibi Holland got their raptors open. On reflection, this was not a good idea. Yes, I managed to do everything I wanted to at least once, saw some shows, and did several laps on the main coasters, achieving 25 rides all in all. Equally, I relied heavily on SRQs, dragged myself through the afternoon slump, and only stopped once for a sit-down meal around midday. By the time I hit the Sprookjesbos, the last attraction on my to-do list, it was after 6pm and I was frankly much more in the mood for a sit-down than a magical wander through Dutch fairytales.

EF18 IMG_3470.jpg

Strolling through the park for the first time, my initial impressions of Efteling were of a very green and very well-themed park. I think it best invites comparisons to Europa Park, albeit with less of a thrill-seeking angle, as both combine similarly elaborate theming with more naturalistic environments. I headed towards Symbolica and prepared myself for some post-rope drop sprinting.

EF10 IMG_3566.jpg

For sake of ease, let’s talk about the creds first. First on the agenda was to grab a front row ride on Baron 1898, my second beautifully themed B&M coaster in as many days. Baron is a perfect example of how a coaster structure can be made part of the story - the idea of integrating the mineshaft as part of the supports is really inspired, and it looks as good in real life as it does in the photos. Of course, the theming is utterly lush and detailed. I adored the little flourishes like the themed dispatch buttons and moving mineshaft wheel; I imagine the design team had great fun with this project. So many dive coasters feel designed to intimidate guests as much as possible - Krake is a perfect example, with the terrifying jaws around the first drop and moody area music. Baron interestingly chooses to avoid this, with a triumphant orchestral soundtrack and a story that leans more towards eerie than terrifying. Said story is well-explained through the two pre-shows. The second one was my personal favourite and a suspenseful way to kickstart the ride itself. The bulk of the layout is pretty standard B&M mini dive stuff: smooth, rerideable and very fun. The first drop will scare the life out of the average guest, the zero-g is perfectly floaty, and the helix has deceptively sustained positives. As a themed experience, Baron is one of the best in the business, although I think Valkyria is still the best showcase for what the hardware can do.

EF01 IMG_3557.jpg

Working my way further into the park, next up was De Vliegende Hollander. I only managed one ride, with it being one of the busier coasters in the park, though I’m certain I would have noticed additional details on further laps. After boarding the train (boat?) in a moodily lit and elaborately themed dockside, Vliegende Hollander takes you through an ominous dark ride section. I was left feeling genuinely a bit unnerved as our boat plunged into the deep fog for the first time, with only the flickering front light to lead the way. After encountering the titular boat, you have a small drop before beginning the coaster section proper. The following outdoor part is sadly mostly unexceptional, with the exception of a worthwhile first drop and scenic final splashdown. I ultimately felt that Vliegende Hollander may have been ahead of it’s time, with the coaster hardware not quite matching the quality of the dark ride section Efteling produced.

Ef15 IMG_3503.jpg

Python is an interesting case. Efteling have spent significant sums on new trains and a major retrack for what is, ultimately, a dated and comparatively common layout. It seems to only still exist to allow older guests to redo one of their first big coasters with their own kids. But, with all that said... Python is honestly great fun! The typical Vekoma headbanging is eliminated, it tracks very smoothly, and the loops had me seeing stars. It is nice to see a classic ride running so well in 2024.

EF08 IMG_3514.jpg

As Joris en de Draak had been kaput since opening, my insatiable urge for creds next lead me to Max & Moritz. These duelling coasters are less elaborately themed than one might expect from Efteling, although they have some fun motion elements in the station and a whoopie cushion piano (!?!?) in the queue. I always thought a Mack Powered Coaster was an odd investment for the park, as Efteling seem mainly to choose high-capacity rides nowadays, but I came off thoroughly converted. The first lap is rather unexceptional, but the second lap is faster and has a bit more character. Most importantly, I love the goofy onride music, especially how the 2nd lap speeds it up - it got me thinking that this would have been a perfect ride system for a Mario Kart coaster. I did both sides twice, but if you only have time for one, make it the Blue (Max) side. A pleasant surprise for sure!

EF12 IMG_3542.jpg

After several dark rides, I finally found my way to the slightly isolated Vogel Rok. Whilst this coaster has its diehard fans, I ended up feeling quite ambivalent towards it. Better than the likes of Temple of the Nighthawk, but not memorable enough to waste my precious time reriding. Sorry, Vogel Rokkers.

EF13 IMG_3467.jpg

By around 2pm, Joris en de Draak had finally un-f***ed itself. The park's 2nd most famous coasters are full scale GCIs but unmistakeably family-thrill rides, most comparable to Wicker Man in terms of intensity. The theming is simpler and less extensive than most of Efteling's other rides, but there are nice touches like the flags in the station declaring the winners from the previous race. The Dragon was sadly closed off during my visit, which was a shame.

In terms of layout, both tracks seem to have 3 distinct sections: the out and back beginning section, the twister section out towards the lake, and the return run. Repeated straight airtime hills are unusual to see on a GCI, but the out and back section offered some solid, sustained floater air. The following twister section is more typically GCIs wheelhouse, offering the rapid-fire transitions and vicious airtime pops they do best. Unfortunately, the return run loses a lot of momentum to facilitate a little more interaction between the trains, ending on the ride on a low note. Notably, Efteling have retracked the first turnarounds of both coasters with Titan Track, which I was slightly non-plussed with. Joris is already perfectly smooth for a wooden coaster, resulting in the Titan Track turnaround feeing excessively sterile compared to what I’d expect. Anyways, I ultimately preferred the Fire side, but both are pretty similar in quality and merit at least a ride apiece.

EF06 IMG_3571.jpg

Cred run completed, now for some dark rides. I feel like Efteling take a slightly different approach to these attractions compared to other the likes of Disney or Universal, mostly seem focusing on creating a specific atmosphere rather than telling a linear story throughout the ride. This impression is probably reinforced by the fact that Efteling is (understandably) primarily targeting Dutch guests rather than international ones, so I will have missed many of the finer details. I think the vibes-based approach to dark rides was less to my personal taste, in no small part as it jarred somewhat with the pace of my mad dash through the park. Equally, there were some which thoroughly impressed me.

Symbolica is the jewel of Efteling’s dark ride collection and arguably the ride that ties this whole park together. Whilst over the course of this trip report I’ve already nearly exhausted the full set of synonyms for “gorgeously themed”, I must admit that Symbolica is indeed that. It begins with a charming pre-show where the man, the myth, the legend, Pardoes causes some mischief. From here, it’s down to the ornate basement to start the journey. Over my three rides, I got both the music and the heroes tours; multiple stories are a great idea and do increase rerideability. Despite this, I think the strongest scenes rightly appear in all three routes, with the panorama room and the banquet finale impressing me most. Symbolica is not the kind of dark ride that will have you on the edge of your seat – there’s no real sense of peril. However, it is beautifully detailed, incredibly vibey and has at least 3 different Pardoes animatronics. What more can you want? Bonus points for how they’ve styled the top of the showbuilding to keep it from being an eyesore from Pagoda.

EF07 IMG_3473.jpg

It’s practically mandatory to have a Pirates knock-off in a major continental European theme park. Thus far in this genre, only Europa Park seem to have made something anywhere near as good as the original. Fata Morgana, which fills this niche for Efteling, didn’t really do much for me. The exterior area is admittedly lush, and I quite liked that they even had a giant puppet as walk-around entertainment. With that said, I thought the ride was full of uncanny valley animatronics, was a bit dated and otherwise left me feeling a bit cold. Maybe an unpopular opinion but overdue an overhaul in my books.

EF17 IMG_3541.jpg

Droomvlucht is a step back up in quality. The ride system employed is unusual, especially in how you spiral down from the trees in almost coaster-esque fashion towards the end. As one might expect from the name, some of the scenes are definitely slightly odd and dreamlike, but I enjoyed it. Honestly, I lack the words to adequately review this thing – go ride it and witness its wonderful weirdness for yourself.

The nearby Villa Volta offers its story basically exclusively in Dutch, so I had little idea of what was happening. The façade is above average, but otherwise it’s all standard madhouse stuff: a couple of preshows, an inexplicably spinny room and some dramatic music. Hex still does this routine best.

Last but not least amongst the dark rides was Carnival Festival, a ride which boldly dares to ask riders: “guys, just checking, is this still OK in 2024?”. Whilst I understand there has already been some remodelling of this ride to address some of the most egregious caricatures, some of the depictions of East Asian people feel… uh, not great, at least to me. On a lighter note, the music is a total brainworm. A memorable ride but maybe not in all ways one might hope.

EF16 IMG_3469.jpg

Beyond the coasters and dark rides, Pagoda and the Sprookjesbos were the last two major attractions I had chance to tick off. Pagoda is an Efteling icon, offering beautiful and unrestricted views of the park, and a must-do in my books.

Sadly I was somewhat exhausted and distinctly lacking in whimsy by the time I reached the Sprookjesbos in the early evening. I basically just walked in, wandered around in a confused fashion until I found the iconic Langneck, then left. I think this kind of thing is a lot less entertaining as a solo visitor anyway.

EF11 IMG_3537.jpg

Efteling is not just renowned for its rides and attractions, of course. Much like Disney, Efteling has extensive offerings for both dining and shows.

I came to the park firmly set on trying the highly recommended Polles Keuken near Symbolica, which offers tasty pancakes and a lively themed environment. The white chocolate and jam pancakes were delicious, even if I regretted not getting the banana and milk chocolate ones. Despite being in a theme park, I felt that prices were quite fair considering the place’s popularity – reservations in advance are strongly suggested. I would happily eat here again.

EF04 IMG_3447.jpg

By sheer force of will I managed to watch both the Raveleijn and Aquanura shows. The former is set in an arena themed to a medieval city, with this backdrop alone having more detail than most parks put into theming headlining attractions. It runs several times a day and is an ideal way to kill time whilst in the Droomvlucht virtual queue. Raveleijn mostly features various knights doing knight things, such as sword-fighting with the baddies, doing stunts on horseback, and rescuing a queen. I was particularly impressed by the effects integrated into the area, like how the earth knight triggers bursts from the ground with their daggers. Oh, and did I mention the SICK-ASS 5 HEADED FIRE-BREATHING MECHANICAL DRAGON??? This design goes insanely hard, 10/10 work lads.

EF03 IMG_3461.jpg

Aquanura is an end of day fountain show set over Efteling’s main pond, choreographed to classical music. The setting was perfect, as dusk finally swallowed the park, and the iconic entrance faded into the warm night in the background. The core ingredients of music, water and lights are mixed and seasoned with a dash of fire effects to create a lovely spectacle that is much more than the sum of its parts. It is an ideal tonic to conclude a day at one of Europe’s best theme parks.

EF02 IMG_3587.jpg

As I joined the mass exodus to leave the park post-Aquanura and saw cars pouring out of the park, I was struck by the sheer scale of the logistics operation needed to keep this place running. The park is broadly immaculate, queues had been manageable despite the crowds, and everything across the day had worked perfectly (aside from Joris’ hiccups). That is no small feat in a park of this size and the kind of thing one can only dream of in the UK. Between the fairytale theme and the high-quality of many of their attractions, it is easy to see why Efteling is so often compared to Disney. Whilst it is less my cup of tea than the likes of Phantasialand and Europa Park, I hope to be back soon to get a fuller flavour for the place. As the Dutch would say, it’s certainly “gezellig”.

Next up: the worst major park in Belgium in 30°C heat.

Last edited:
Part 3: Bobbejaanland

Of the 3 parks on this trip, Bobbejaanland was by far the least enticing on the itinerary. However, I have become something of a cred whore of late, and 8 new coasters was an appealing prospect.

Bobbejaanland is a fairly easy journey from Brussels – one direct train to Herentals, then a shuttle bus to the park. From Efteling, things were not quite so simple. My journey ultimately consisted of a lift to the Efteling bus station (courtesy of my kindly Airbnb hosts), a bus to Tilburg, another bus across the Belgian border to Turnhout, an SNCB train to Herentals, and finally a shuttle bus to Bobbejaanland. The only sketchy part turned out to be the final shuttle bus, which Bobbejaanland expertly provided zero signage for at the station (in stark contrast to Toverland two days earlier). By some miracle, everything more or less worked as planned and I arrived not much after the park’s 10am opening.

BJL13 IMG_3590.jpg

My day consisted of basically doing a cred run on the first lap of the park, a second lap for any minor attractions missed, and then a few final rerides. The weather was unseasonably hot, with temperatures hitting 30°C in the afternoon. This seemed to funnel the crowds towards the park’s water rides, which maintained long queues all day, and away from the coasters which rarely had more than 20-minute wait times. Unfortunately, it also left me feeling a bit drained, not least after 2 jam-packed days prior.

BJL14 IMG_3696.jpg

As a quick sidenote, this visit would not have been possible without Bobbejaanland's luggage storage service. If you go to the Candy Shop, basically right next to the park entrance, you can pay 5 Euros to store a large case all day. Just ask a member of staff at the payment desk and they'll help you sort it. Whilst this was really poorly advertised by the park, it worked perfectly for me.

Back to rides. Predictably, most of the park’s credits felt like one-and-dones. First order of business, Bob Express, was probably one of the weakest Mack mine trains I’ve done, with a mediocre layout and little theming. Next.

BJL09 IMG_3718.jpg

Oki Doki was profiled much too gently to do much of anything. The unusual supports cantilevered over the monorail and the lake are probably the most interesting bit of the ride.

BJL05 IMG_3675.jpg

Dreamcatcher is a rather unusual and rare model of coaster. It felt particularly odd seeing the same train style as Chessington’s Vampire on another ride! Unfortunately, it’s not great, offering a janky but mostly forceless meander above the lake.

BJL07 IMG_3688.jpg

Speedy Bob was yet another standard Mack mouse to add to the count. Think Rattlesnake at Chessington with less theming and even more senseless brutality on the valleys.

Naga Bay was, sadly, probably the single biggest letdown of the day. On first inspection, this looks cool. Lakeside location? Check. Sleek trackwork and supports, unlike the other Maurer spinners? Check. Snakes? Check. Sadly, looks can be deceiving. Naga Bay wasn’t particularly memorable, offering minimal spinning. Better than the shaky mess that is Sky Spin, but one of the weaker of its kind.

BJL08 IMG_3670.jpg

With that out of the way, onto the three creds worth discussing.

Me and Gerstlauer have a relationship best described as “challenging”. Sometimes, they bring fantastic and innovative stuff to the table – take Storm at Tusenfryd, which thoroughly impressed me earlier this year with its punchy launches and shocking airtime. Equally, I feel like their thrill coasters nearly always track poorly in some way which detracts from the experience, from simple shakiness on Takabisha to the massive pothole on Saw: The Ride. I do however adore their family coasters, which seem completely free from such issues. Regardless, I went into Bobbejaanland open-minded and ready to be impressed.

BJL04 IMG_3722.jpg

Fury is doubtless Bobbejaanland’s top headliner. The primary gimmick is the now mostly pointless voting system, wherein riders vote to go forwards or backwards. The park at some point made a forward only line, effectively making the voting line always backwards. It’s secondary gimmick, the swing launch and swing brakes which use turntables, impressed me much more. It’s a neat way of cramming even more ride into a smaller space, eliminates the faff of bringing trains to load in two differing orientations, and both spikes offer some serious floater air. That’s the kind of innovation I like to see, Gerst! Unfortunately, even 5 years after opening, the ride still seems a reliability nightmare (worsened by the warm weather). There were frequent short stoppages and maintenance callouts through the day, which culminated in an extended closure that squashed my plans for one last ride. This downtime was succinctly explained by a friendly ride host who correctly guessed the English 20-something guy alone at the park was a coaster nerd: “our first train keeps overshooting so we took it off, and now the second is making a weird noise, so we’re gonna need to empty the queueline whilst engineering figure that out”.

BJL01 IMG_3733.jpg

The actual ride experience begins with the aforementioned swing launch, which is surprisingly punchy on every pass. It culminates in a wonderfully floaty top hat and a dive into a high G valley… which, predictably, rattles noticeably. Classic Gerst. This is followed by a step under flip-thing, which offers some floatiness and directional mayhem before the positives slam back on. The subsequent dive loop and vertical loop offer similar sequencing, with weaker floater followed by impressively sustained positives. Finally, the train hits the brakes and swings comfortably to a stop, throwing in a little more floater for good measure. Whilst the experience throughout the train is broadly consistent, I personally think the middle seats going forward is the best way to ride. I found backwards somewhat sickly, and the middle seats suffer less from the rattle.

Fury is certainly good fun, but the layout didn’t astound me, and the roughness isn’t ideal; Tusenfryd got the better prototype Gerst for sure.

BJL12 IMG_3608.jpg

As for Typhoon… urgh. Whilst I’ve never exactly adored the Eurofighter restraints, this layout exaggerates their worst features. My relatively skinny build is poorly suited for elements like the double barrel roll, where the restraints tried to permanently stamp themselves into my shoulders. The profiling feels stilted and awkward, not least on the first helix which segues from forceless ramp into brutal positives. Finally, in traditional Gerst fashion, it tracks poorly. Rode it 3 times, which was more than enough to make up my mind.

BJL03 IMG_3663.jpg

Lastly, we come to Revolution, famous worldwide for having the world’s longest coaster train and exclusively turning left. In 2024, it received a refresh to give it a new time-travel theme, although it now feels a little out of place next to the park’s indoor splash battle. Regardless, the result is wonderfully camp and somewhat reminiscent of the original EuroSat, albeit smoother and with a much more pedestrian layout. Perhaps the most memorable part of the ride is the comically long spiralling lift hill, which is accompanied by various timey-wimey projections overhead. It’s a good laugh and has enough character to justify a couple of rerides.

BJL10 IMG_3724.jpg

Coasters are very much Bobbejaanland’s focus, but there’s a couple of notable non-coasters I got on too.
  • Terra Magma: an interesting dark ride/flume combination with some neat scenes. The pacing feels a bit wack, as it coasts through some scenes much too fast due to the momentum left from the drop. This is most noticeable right at the end, which comes up very suddenly. However, the hurricane scene was particularly really cool, and I think the park have done a respectable job with the old ride hardware.
  • Ferris Wheel: definitely don’t miss this one; the views of the park are fantastic.
  • El Rio: a mostly uneventful, middle of the road rapids, partly saved by the hilariously sharp drop out of the whirlpool.
  • El Paso: a Western-themed shooting dark ride that was clearly never intended to be a shooting dark ride. The guns are surprisingly really responsive though, which is a plus.
BJL15 IMG_3668.jpg

I called the day early at about 6pm. Fury was down, I had little desire to reride anything else, and thought adding an extra hour on my Eurostar connection would make it a little less frantic. I had a pretty decent time at Bobbejaanland all things considered, especially in light of previous reviews online. Equally, I won’t be back any time soon unless there’s something game-changing.

Epilogue

This trip was great fun: Toverland has a strong lineup that is only getting better, Efteling met my high expectations as a bucket-list attraction, and Bobbejaanland was also an amusement park that exists. There’s something restorative about exploring some brilliant new European parks, especially after a string of disappointing visits in the UK. A perfect way to end the summer season; 21 new credits ain’t bad going for 3 days.

Next time: grab your passport, frantically try to get Alipay to work, and prepare to join me as I boldly go to a land where I will inevitably get spited by at least one major attraction. It’s time for NemesisRider to once again go East…