What's new

Aqua Stadium Mini Photo/Video Trip Report

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ok, so not really a park trip, but more of a couple of beers with benefits...

Back in Tokyo, a couple of my coworkers wanted to go for a few drinks after work and wanted to try somewhere a bit different to the usual local pub/bar, so I suggested Port of Pirates, a bar inside the Shinagawa Prince Hotel and part of the Aqua Stadium aquarium complex.

DSC00421.jpg

We didn’t bother with the aquarium/dolphin shows, but headed straight to the bar. Port of Pirates is GORGEOUS! Basically, as the name suggests, it’s themed to an old, Caribbean(?) port, with a tavern on one side and a fully-operational, pirate-themed swinging ship ride directly opposite.

DSC00425.jpg

The pirate ship is completely over water, and riders have to board by crossing a short pier. The lighting gradually changes over time, from early evening to night, and the sounds of lapping waves and seagulls complete the atmosphere.

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

There were only a couple of other tables of people, and nobody was actually riding the ship. We had a drink while we waited for Tatsuya, then went to ride Galaxy Express 999.

DSC00433.jpg

I didn’t take any pictures of the actual coaster this time, just a couple during the pre-show sections.

DSC00437.jpg

I didn’t really like this as much as I did first time around a couple of years before. The friends I was with enjoyed the launch and loop, since they had no idea it was coming, but the coaster hasn’t aged very well. It’s not rough exactly, just nowhere near as much fun as I remember it being. Maybe it’s just a case of it having pretty much zero reride factor.

DSC00441.jpg

Anyway, then it was back to the pub/tavern for a couple more drinks. I’ve just realised I have no pictures at all of the bar area, only the ship. Ah well.

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

Still nobody was riding, and I wanted the girls to see how nuts the whole thing is, so ended up riding it with just Tatsuya. Sad!

5815_110883296545_526011545_2350643.jpg

As a ride, it’s rubbish. It really doesn’t go very high at all. However, as an overall experience, it’s brilliant, with fantastic lighting, effects and music. Just as we were leaving, some other people went to ride, so I managed to get a video. It doesn’t come close to the full scale of the thing, and the angle means you’re missing the whole overall effect, but you can get a pretty good idea.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7mnmYrLL0k[/youtube]

So, that was about it really. I love that you can do something like that in Tokyo though; just finish work and go and casually ride a roller coaster. Also, that the whole thing is inside a hotel in one of the busiest areas of a huge city is awesome.

Just finish with a picture of me and the bloke as we were leaving. Awwww.

DSC00449.jpg

peep

CF Legend
Nice little trip report Gavin. If I ever do get to go Tokyo I'll have to remind myself to go to this place, looks really cool.