What's new

Approaching..

Kebab

Giga Poster
I know this topic may sound very random, but I thought it may be interesting to discuss this, as it is something that affects me emotionally in varied manner.

Name any significant moment where you either approach a park or a certain attraction; in which it affects your emotions and how.

An example would be when you approach, lets say, when you first enter Alton Towers. You have the beautiful famous orchestral soundtrack played through Towers Street, the amazing view of the Towers in the distance across the shimmering emerald reflected lake, Spinball Whizzer randomly on the right looking like a painting of red scribble. What are your initial impressions of Spinball Whizzer? Do you get excited, or do you become disappointed, or neither? Why does it excite/disappoint you?

Just to get you going. :)
Chris.

Well, I do remember pulling up to Cedar Point back in 2005, which was the first time I had been there since the mid 1990's, and thinking "holy **** these rides are massive", and then getting really scared.

Seeing Cinderella's castle from the WDW monorail for the first time when I was eight was pretty magical for a kid, and I really couldn't believe I was there.

Seeing Voyage and Toro for the first time was pretty bomb as well.

Snoo

The Legend
Three moments stick out for me:

1. Going down the Cedar Point causeway for the first time each year.. knowing I'm going to have another great day, regardless of what I ride.

2. Seeing Kingda Ka/El Toro for the first time. It was my first ever coaster trip, and to see those almost legends.. and to know I'll be on them soon.. was pretty euphoric.

3. TTD for the first time. I almost wet myself as I sat down.

Mark

Strata Poster
The most significant for me would be returning to WDW, driving along with Marc and seeing those big entrance arches. I already knew what stuff of goodness awaited, so I felt that all consuming excitement.

A

Anonymous

seeing appocalypse as you approch drayton manor. drayton manor was my first theme park i went to properly. seeing appocalypse in the distance reminds me of why i love roller coasters and spend so much money on them.

CMonster

Giga Poster
For some reason, everytime I go to WDW I get excited. Even though I've been there countless times.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Even though I hate the ride; approaching Ug-Land from the Towers and hearing Rita's soundtrack slightly sends me all excited! 80's rock music is an amazing generation, suits the setting for Rita; I just wished it wasn't so "cattlepenned", in the queueline.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
CMonster said:
For some reason, everytime I go to WDW I get excited. Even though I've been there countless times.

Same, but for every Disney park. As Snoo said: I know no matter what I ride, it's going to be a great day.

The first time I drove to CP, and seeing those steel monsters (MF and Magnum) from literally MILES away, was impressive to say the least.

The first time I went to Magic Mountain, and the last time I went. (That park looks so much better/more impressive when you approach it from the north.)

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Going past Sandusky's little airport and seeing one hell of a skyline builds that excitment.

Seeing the towers and Oblivion's mist from miles off in the morning is really errie. Like, amazing though. Magical.

I approach Thorpe's entrance and normally yawn a bit. No joke, I actually do that everytime. But yet that park reminds me of a mini CP, it brings back those good memorys.

STC

Mega Poster
Seeing the confusing tangle of track that rises out the desert driving up the freeway to Magic Mountain. It's beautiful and monstrously ugly at the same time.

I wish I could say the same about Cedar Point! *iz jelous*

Emmett

Giga Poster
The one that really sticks in my head is when I was approaching Skegness the first time by train and I could make out Jubilee Odyssey at Fantasy Island from miles away. And then when approaching the park by bus you catch a few glimses along the road and then finally you get the full view when closer to the park.

Thats why I will always have a soft spot for Jubilee Odyssey as it holds good memories and it really got me into coasters.

andrus

Giga Poster
Approaching Port Aventura by train and to see how huge Dragon Khan really is!! Then enter the park and you can see it from everywhere. Coming closer and see the chinese wall is magical, and after riding the Dragon it's euphoria!

Kebab

Giga Poster
andrus said:
Approaching Port Aventura by train and to see how huge Dragon Khan really is!! Then enter the park and you can see it from everywhere. Coming closer and see the chinese wall is magical, and after riding the Dragon it's euphoria!
Eugh. The first time I saw PortAventura was at night so I was struggling to actually find where the park was, I remember seeing a huge satellite from the airport, then realising the ****ing thing was Hurakan Condor, my stomach churned and my heart raced. Then I noticed a pile of red scribble not far from Hurakan Condor, and I was like wow that is without a doubt the most insane coaster I've ever seen; Dragon Khan. And to do this day, Dragon Khan remains the single-most best rollercoaster experience of my life, it is an absolute fantastic rush!

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Cedar Point is definitely up there, in fact my first glimpse of TTD was from a Pizza Hut next to the mall, and could just make out a shadow in the distance every few seconds :lol:

Disney makes me happy inside as well when I go there, same for Alton...

The American parks have more landmarks than we do park-wise, so they often have more impact...

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
Emmett said:
The one that really sticks in my head is when I was approaching Skegness the first time by train and I could make out Jubilee Odyssey at Fantasy Island from miles away. And then when approaching the park by bus you catch a few glimses along the road and then finally you get the full view when closer to the park.

Thats why I will always have a soft spot for Jubilee Odyssey as it holds good memories and it really got me into coasters.

I agree! Whenever I go there I always see it in the distance miles away and as soon as I arrive in the carpark next to it I get goosebumps and my hands feel tingly. :lol:

Tomatron

Giga Poster
A few that stick out on my memory are:

Visiting Blackpool Pleasure Beach for the first time in 1999, getting the tram down the Golden Mile and seeing the Big One for the first time. That was quite a sight.

Driving upto Cedar Point and catching a glimpse of those massive, massive rides.

Stepping out of the plane at Reus airport and seeing Hurakan Condor and Dragon Khan was well exciting.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Disney is always a good'un. Paris is good, Florida is very powerful (since it's our most visited park and we've got more personal history there) it's always emotional. Walking down California's main street is indescribable.

Cedar Point was another good'un. I got excited driving round (because we were stayng at Breakers) and I heard a sound that could only sound like Rita on the most mental steriods of all time, and I looked up and just saw Dragster rocket into the sky. Then walking into Cedar Point and realising that this was definately somewhere special.

Alton is always strong as well. I'd place a bet on saying it's our most visited theme park, but every time I get more excited walking in and more gutted to leave. I think it's a marvelous place.

I thought this was unique for me, but CP, Disney and Alton seem to be coming up a lot, they must be doing something right! Have to disagree with SFMM though. I was exccited. but I didn't feel anything anywhere near as strong as what I do at this lot.