What's new

An Inevitable Trip to Poland - Legendia & Energylandia June/July '24 (Pt. 2)

Burniel

Roller Poster
Intro
Earlier this year, I took my first coaster-centric trip to mainland Europe, featuring two days at Phantasialand. Realising I could see another part of the world and visit parks of a substantially higher quality for little more than the average weekend away by train in the UK unlocked something in me, and I've been chasing down opportunities to repeat this experience since. With Europe packed so full of culture and quality parks, it was hard to decide where to prioritise for the second trip, but in the end our group unanimously chose the region with a 200ft RMC in it - what a surprise.

Day 1 - Kraków
The start of our 5-day trip was a somewhat muted affair. Following an unfortunate last minute dropout due to illness, the remaining two of us spent a poor night (even by Luton's standards) in a local Airbnb, then caught the 6am bus to the airport only to find a 2.5 hour delay to our flight to Kraków. We were, however, generously compensated for this with a voucher of sufficient value to buy 1 glass of orange juice in the airport bar. It says a lot that we considered this good service from a budget airline.

All told, it was about 4pm local time once we'd landed in Kraków and found our accommodation. Luckily we didn't have much planned for this day, and still had the energy for around 2-3 hours of walking the city and grabbing some much-needed food. It's a fantastic place, not least given the unseasonably warm temperatures that evening (around 28C). The main town square, dominated by an indoor market in the centre, is a great space with no shortage of people about on a Saturday evening. Architecturally, many buildings around here either are or appear very old but very well maintained, which is an increasingly rare balance to find.

Krakow3.jpgKrakow1.jpg

For me, the best views were along the river, particularly around Wawel Castle (which we ended up visiting later in the trip). On a sunny day, sightlines around here felt straight out of a postcard. I won't further pretend to be an expert on travel or culture, and I think the brief times we spent here at the start and end of the trip were enough, but Kraków is a great city which I'd recommend regardless of your interest in the local amusement parks.

Krakow8.jpgKrakow10.jpg

Day 2 - Legendia Śląskie Wesołe Miasteczko
Much like pretty much any foreign rail experience, Kraków to Katowice made UK rail travel look pathetic. The 80km journey can be done in under an hour by intercity train which, when booked on the day, cost us roughly £6 each way for an assigned seat with about 3 acres of legroom. Legendia is a short tram ride from the city centre (about 80p if you can download the app and get it to work before the 10-minute journey finishes), on which a local gave us a taste of home by staggering about shouting while holding a can of something despite it being 9:20am. Overall, it's a really easy journey from central Kraków, though if you're not fussed about which city you stay in then Katowice is probably the more optimal place to stay for here and Energylandia.

I had expected the park to be at least moderately busy on a hot Sunday in local school holidays, and had mixed feelings when the opening show was being performed to about 25 of us - if this is it on a peak day, how dead is it midweek? Still, can't complain too much about an empty park, and being here with one main objective, we walked straight to the back of the park for by far its biggest and best attraction.

Lech12.jpgLech1.jpg

Lech Coaster (#101) opened at around 10:30, and despite park rules forcing us to walk back around the queue each lap we were on 5 of the first 7 trains of the day - 1 front, 1 middle, and 3 on the back row, which offered by far the best experience. The ride is all about the intensity and does its job well. The first drop, inversion through the building, and final turns are excellent highlights, and the presentation and theme is really top notch. I'd perhaps built it up a little too high in my head (in the sense that I'd prepared for a 10/10 and found it to be a really solid 9), but it alone makes the park worth popping into if you're in the area for EL anyway.

Lech5.jpgLech6.jpg

We paused at this point to go and check out the rest of the park, but with long opening hours and no crowds, I was looking forward to returning for some 20+ rides on Lech in the afternoon. Unfortunately this didn't happen, as within about an hour of opening the ride went down and did not return. This was clearly not for lack of trying by the park - it tested on several separate occasions and we spotted maintenance staff taking everything from a blunt axe to a spare wheel up to the station - but by mid-afternoon the train could be seen parked in an empty station with staff nowhere to be found.

At the time oblivious that we'd had our last rides on Lech, we wandered over to the other supposedly still operating cred, only to find it closed for the full day. Though this hardly looked to be a list topper, I did have a particular curiousity about it as it would've been my first Soquet. Still, 100 creds in and my worst spite is a janky-looking looper in a park I will inevitably return to (assuming it survives) given what's down the road. Could be worse.

DevilsLoop2.jpgDevilsLoop3.jpg

Had we known Lech wasn't going to reopen, our visit here may have been very short indeed, but as it kept occasionally testing, we ended up in a cycle of finding a couple of things to do, then running back to Lech for 15 minutes whenever we spotted a train. The trouble was, it felt very much like there's not much of interest left at Legendia. A decent-looking log flume was closed all day, and several rides were SBNO or gone with very obvious signs of what was once there. Highlights we did get to see included the Bazyliszek trackless dark ride, which I wasn't expecting to exist but was surprisingly good, and Dolina Jagi, my first Hafema rapids, which wasn't particularly wet or exciting, but was well presented.

Rides3.jpgRides6.jpg

A few other things we did, primarily to pass the time:
  • A solid HUSS enterprise which actually went 90 degrees, unlike the one we have left in the UK.
  • A double inverter ship which was every bit as uncomfortable as you'd expect.
  • A ferris wheel with cute little buckets.
  • A HUSS rainbow - I'd never done one of these before but it was absolutely wild. The seats are flat benches designed for two with a lap bar several inches above the thighs. Sitting in one of these alone results in being absolutely thrown about. This was definitely the most we laughed that day.
Rides5.jpgRides4.jpg

By 4, it was becoming increasingly clear that Lech wasn't returning and we'd very much exhausted everything else the park had to offer. We ended up mooching around Katowice for a bit (nice place, but without the tourism appeal of Kraków) and catching a relatively early train back.

Downtime isn't always a park's fault, and we did get several rides on the coaster we came for, but it was hard not to leave Legendia a bit disappointed and worried for its future. Including SBNO, the place has 3 sizable coasters, but not a single one operated for 5 out of the 6 hours we were there. Other rides closed or in pieces further pointed to financial difficulty and/or overwhelming maintenance issues. Even if more rides were open, who would have ridden them? Any successful theme park would have had a gate figure of several thousand on the day of our visit, but to quote my mate "you know it's a quiet one when you start recognising everyone you walk past".

All of this begs the question - what happened here? My assumption is the park drank from the same money tap as Energylandia in the late 2010s and just hasn't grown to a point where it's naturally sustainable. This makes for a really interesting case study, but is a worrying situation for a really strong coaster and a park with the potential to be genuinely charming if left to grow organically. Time will tell. As for myself, I would return here, but only as a stop-in on my way to/from visiting EL.

Peet

Giga Poster
Eek I got spited by the old twin looper back in 2018, I'm returning this September (mostly for Zadra of course) and now I'm worried I'll get my first ever double spite 😬.

Like you say it's hardly going to be great but I remember watching it run at the American Adventure when I was a kid and thinking one day I'd get to ride it, and I'm still waiting 😂.

Hope the rest of your trip went well!

Burniel

Roller Poster
Eek I got spited by the old twin looper back in 2018, I'm returning this September (mostly for Zadra of course) and now I'm worried I'll get my first ever double spite 😬.

Like you say it's hardly going to be great but I remember watching it run at the American Adventure when I was a kid and thinking one day I'd get to ride it, and I'm still waiting 😂.

Hope the rest of your trip went well!
Oh no! Hoping it was just a minor closure when I went and Legendia isn't about to lose another. Best of luck for your return. :)

Day 3 - Energylandia Day 1
Perhaps the only report I'll ever write featuring 19 new creds in one day.

Ten years ago, southern Poland would have been on few people's theme park radar. I said the story of Legendia is an interesting case study, but the rise of Energylandia has been truly fascinating. Its transformation from a plot of land to a 15-coaster megapark in a handful of years put it squarely on the todo lists of enthusiasts in Europe and beyond, and while the pace is clearly now starting to slow, its sheer scale made it the main focus of my second continental theme park adventure.

Part of the huge investment in the creation of the complex was a shiny new rail station on the existing Kraków to Oświęcim line. Passengers aboard the 09:32 arrival from Kraków can expect to be in good company, as on this summer Monday around 200 of us alighted at the station and were promptly ushered from the platform onto a series of land trains to take us the final stretch to the park entrance. We later discovered that this final leg is perfectly walkable and offers good views of the park's skyline, but the shuttle was a nice touch and succeeds in hyping you up for the scale of what you're about to visit. The park entrance exhibits similar grandeur, clearly designed for a major amusement destination.

We ended up passing the turnstiles a little before 10 and while our original plan was to work the park back to front, it became apparent that Hyperion (#102) was already open on a 5 minute wait, with containment gates blocking access to anything else, prompting a minor change of plans. About a week earlier, I'd experienced the other ^Hyperi.*$ for the first time, marking the tallest and fastest coaster I'd done to date. Hyperion, or Pepsi Max Big One Vol. 2, stands comfortably clear of these records, which put it under some pressure to perform. This, combined with general over-excitement from where we were, made it hard to judge our first lap objectively. It's becoming a common issue - whenever my coaster journey so far has taken me to the next "biggest thing" I've often found myself waiting for something to feel wildly "different" rather than appreciating the speed or elements for what they are. The "enthusiasts when the ride doesn't literally kill them" meme is frighteningly accurate sometimes. Thankfully, rerides later in the day helped cement this as one of the best coasters I've done to date.

1721412033527.png1721412579145.jpeg

Hyperion was also our first taste of the locker system at Energylandia, which is extensive. It soon became a joke of the day to find hundreds of mandatory lockers outside even some smaller attractions. The system is paid, which is an Americanism I don't appreciate when it's not optional, but comes out to a few quid per day and was a really convenient system I began to grow an appreciation for. Most lockers are well-placed, allowing you to take belongings in the queue - Hyperion is the only annoying example where you must stow absolutely everything away right at the start.

Noticing everything around Hyperion had started to gain queues, we reverted to the original plan of hitting the back of the park, and some 10 minutes later we arrived at my most anticipated coaster of the trip. Zadra (#103) became my first ever RMC, an experience some 10 years in the making, and a front row first ride in the rain launched it directly to the top of my rankings. Never before have I experienced such ruthless chaos executed with such grace. The drop is fantastic, the stall sublime, and the airtime powerful despite the combined seatbelt/restraint design's best efforts. Subsequent rides towards the back (of which there were many) delivered time after time, and at no point during our stay did the queue exceed 10 minutes. It's truly the closest to perfection I've seen, and became one of those rides that makes pretty much anything else in the park feel like a waste of valueable re-riding time - but alas, our work was far from done.

1721412645946.jpeg1721412666460.jpeg

Our next step was to start clearing up everything else on this side of the road, beginning with Frida (#104), a Vekoma Junior with a rather pointless and leaky roof over the lift hill, and Draken (#105), our first of many shameless +1s of the day, where we were the only people on the train (unless you count the ride op's judgemental eyes following us). This completed the dragon themed area which, for a park I'd not expected much from in terms of theming, is quite well presented (apart from the eyesore that is Frida). This turned out to be a trend, where the areas on the far side of the road tunnel (i.e. the areas built from 2019 onwards) are actually really well themed, while much of the rest of the park lags significantly behind. I understand now why I've heard it described as a park of two halves.

Next up was new-for-2024 Sweet Valley, one of the better kids' areas I've seen in terms of theme and presentation. Choco Chip Creek (#106) is the headline attraction here, a frankly bizarre mine train whose intricately themed queue and preshow leads to a largely unthemed and underwhelming coaster. Sure, milder forces and layout are not surprising for this type of ride, but a good mine train is so much more than the track layout and this one just feels bare and soulless. I was particularly disappointed to learn that the Fluff branding is a mindless sponsorship and not a fictional brand whose factory we were touring (which I was naive enough to believe before we looked it up). It's a fine ride, but there's a lot of missed potential.

Also in the area is Honey Harbour (#107), a seemingly unnecessary Vekoma Junior featuring further inoffensive but noticeable sponsorship. If memory serves, I'd put it above Frida, but it still gets utterly lost in the park's sea of junior rides - at least Choco Chip Creek offers a more intermediate thrill the park genuinely was lacking. Thankfully, the surrounding area and surplus of junior flat rides makes up for the somewhat weaker coasters in this area.

1721412783694.jpeg1721412819364.jpeg

In a far corner is Aqualantis, in my opinion the best area in the park for theming quality. Indeed, the whole atlantis thing is something I wish parks did more often in general. Star of the show was Abyssus (#108), an excellent, lengthy, and beautifully presented Vekoma multi-launch which offers the park a strong finish to its top 3. A fun first launch leads into a series of light airtime moments and tight turns before the train gets propelled into a much larger second half which would honestly be an acceptable coaster on its own. I love the way the entrance path goes through the batwing like something you'd design in RCT. It may not compete with the top 2, but every time I rode it I liked it more. It's no Taron, but I'd take it over the likes of Icon. The only weakness we found was the lack of a front row queue; other newer coasters at the park have one built in, and it seems an obvious choice for a launched ride.

1721412888858.jpeg1721412931858.jpeg

Nearby Light Explorers (#109) is a good family boomerang, the better of the two in the park, featuring a layout I'd yet to do and a nice setting over the water. If it didn't have to compete with Raik, this would be my favourite of its type.

Heading back through to the front half of the park (after another lap or two on Zadra, of course), we discussed how, with the opening of Sweet Valley, the number and quality of attractions in the back half could make for a decent little park in their own right. We also discussed how we'd barely waited for anything and were on 8/19 coasters within only a few hours. The temptation to turn day 1 into a shameless cred run won out over our original plans to pick up some of the lower priorities on day 2, which turned out to be really fun as the size of the park led to an afternoon of getting ever so slightly lost and saying "I think there's meant to be a wacky worm somewhere around here..."

Formuła (#110) came first, which I was pretty excited about as it's commonly seen as the start of "new Vekoma", whom I'd come to really like over the past couple of days. Having come from the larger, more drawn out Vekoma launch coaster on the other side of the park, I was completely taken aback by just how tight and forceful this ride was. It's a great advertisement for not needing impressive stats to be a great ride. It was also one of the few rides in the park to reliably attract a queue, which meant we only ended up doing it once, but it'll definitely be a priority during any future visits.

1721413010167.jpeg1721413044171.jpeg

Roller Coaster Mayan (#111) marked my second SLC, though I had some hope for this one given its restraints and relative youth. And yes, it's quite a bit better than Infusion. While certainly a rough ride, the lack of anything to bash your head into makes the roughness manageable and the ride tolerable - but I still wouldn't mind too much if it got into a fight with a wrecking ball. Meanwhile, Viking Roller Coaster (#112) was a hilariously bad spinning mouse, the OTSRs giving us uncontrollable giggles at the sheer ridiculousness of their existence.

1721413125867.jpeg1721413150334.jpeg

Also nearby is Boomerang (#113), the other family boomerang. Having not researched this in detail, I only noticed while riding that I'd done one of these layouts before - Velociraptor at Paultons Park. I find these ones better than the 185m layout, but it wasn't as good as Light Explorers. Then nearby Energuś (#114) is yet another Vekoma Junior, and at this point I honestly couldn't tell you what I thought of it besides "fine". I mainly remember using the ride's height to spot Frutti Loop Coaster (#115), a somewhat hidden wacky worm which we subsequently rode in the rain with absolutely no questioning of life choices whatsoever.

1721413202209.jpeg1721413231605.jpeg

Now being back at the entrance, we took another lap on Hyperion for our own sanity and progressed on to Happy Loops (#116). The only other example of an SBF spinner I'd done before this was Tidal Wave at Clarence Pier, which had an unexpectedly violent drop. Sadly, no such fun can be had on Happy Loops, and I was frankly happiest when it was over.

By contrast, I'd been looking forward to Speed (#117), as I have distinct memories of a POV (from a far inferior website if memory serves...) of near-clone Divertical doing the rounds on Youtube around the time I first became interested in coasters as a kid. It being in another country, having a funky elevator lift, and being both a water ride and coaster made it seem so "out there" to 2012 me, so it was a bizarrely special moment getting on effectively the same ride in an equally unfamiliar country. But this connection aside, it's just fine, a generally comfortable ride and not too wet for a cloudy afternoon. The height and lift is really the only bit better than a normal water ride, but at least it looks the part.

1721413297518.jpeg1721413333375.jpeg

Mars (#118) gets the award for worst family coaster of the bunch. It just felt so cheap and offensively inoffensive, though maybe we were just sick of them at this point. It gets bonus points for theming, however. Meanwhile, Circus Coaster (#119) definitely pushed my definition of a coaster to breaking point, even as someone who usually counts powered ones, but I've let it through on the basis it goes to enough effort to present itself as one and I don't know what else I'd call it. Finally, Dragon Roller Coaster (#120) completed the set with a pretty solid family thrill coaster; I really wish the park had a couple more rides at this level rather than endless near-identical junior coasters.

1721413366603.jpeg1721413391894.jpeg

This took us to a couple of hours before close and we spent the remaining time re-riding the highlights with a view to save the non-coaster things so we at least had something new for the second day. Zadra in particular was absolutely flying at this point and once again had very low waits, though it's always a bit annoying when a ride is closed for 10 minutes to remove a train.

I'll save the detailed review for day 2, but I greatly enjoyed our first day in Energylandia. The place was as chaotic as expected, and the abnormally high coaster count has its pros and cons, but the sheer number of attractions here really helps to soak up the (admittedly modest) crowds and I can imagine the surplus of junior coasters is fantastic for the younger ones. With Zadra already a clear new #1 and Hyperion somewhere close behind in the ranks, another day couldn't come quickly enough.

emoo

Hyper Poster
The double loop gets spited by so many but pleased to confirm a friend got on it last month so it is still possible. Best of luck everyone.

This train information is very helpful to know, thanks.

Mars is awesome due to its hilarious ambiance, I guess its the order you ride them in before you have enough. So many unnecessary Vekoma's indeed but a true RNG could end up like this and I'm fond of the absurdity of it all.