What's new

Alton Towers 28th July 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
28th July 2024: Alton Towers
Hi guys. Today, I returned to Alton Towers for a revisit after receiving a free return ticket following our weak visit to Alton After Dark back in March. Another visit to Alton Towers is not exactly anything new for me (today was my 43rd day at the park in total and my 3rd day this year), but one aspect was new for me… despite having visited Alton Towers so much over the years, today was my first time ever spending a solo day alone at the park! With my dad attending the nearby LIV Golf event at JCB in Rocester, he dropped me off at the park in the morning and picked me up in the evening, and I spent the rest of the day alone, which was a novelty for me at Alton Towers!

With my dad unable to enter LIV Golf until 12pm, we left our home in Gloucestershire at just before 8:30am and arrived at Alton Towers at just before 11am. Getting my free revisit redeemed was quick and easy, and I was in the park by 11:10am:
IMG-0992.jpg

After getting into the park, I headed towards Dark Forest for my first ride…
Thirteen
I was originally going to go on Rita with a 20 minute advertised queue, but this had risen to 45 minutes by the time I reached Dark Forest. As such, I instead decided to try Thirteen, which also had a 45 minute advertised queue and was a ride I didn’t go on in March. Shortly after I joined, the queue time was re-announced as 60 minutes and ended up taking 55 minutes, so was perhaps marginally understated when I initially joined. That’s enough about the queue, though; how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 4, and it was great fun! I do rather enjoy Thirteen, and today was no exception; the outdoor section had some fun twists and the odd pop of airtime or two and seemed to pack fair speed, and that drop track and backwards section are always a laugh! Overall, then, Thirteen was great fun, and an excellent way to start off the day:
IMG-0994.jpg

After my ride on Thirteen, I decided to head to a favourite of mine in X-Sector…
Oblivion
Oblivion was on an advertised 25 minute queue, so I decided to take a ride on it. There was an interesting happening while I was waiting for Oblivion in that a shuttle stopped on the lift hill briefly, and a staff member had to head up and press some buttons to get it going again; it was interesting to see this, and the problem was resolved in under 5 minutes! The queue ended up taking a little longer than advertised, ultimately taking 40 minutes, but I imagine that the stoppage may have played a role in this. So, how was the ride? Well, I absolutely love Oblivion, and today was no exception! Today’s ride was absolutely fantastic; smooth, full of sustained airtime, and so, so fast! I can still never quite believe the sheer speed the ride picks up in that tunnel; it’s Alton’s fastest coaster, and it certainly feels it! All in all, then, Oblivion was absolutely fantastic; it was great to get back on:
IMG-0995.jpg

IMG-0997.jpg

After my awesome ride on Oblivion, I decided to head to the other coaster in the area…
The Smiler
The Smiler was on an advertised 45 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. As I was visiting solo, however, I had a secret weapon I could use… the single rider queue! This has often saved me significant time when queueing for The Smiler, so I decided to take a gamble on it. The gamble did not pay off as much as it has in the past, as I waited 25 minutes, but I still saved 20 minutes compared to the advertised queue time, so I can’t really complain! But how was the ride? Well, I was allocated the back row, and I’m sorry to say that it was the weakest ride I’ve had on Smiler in a good while. I really want to like Smiler more than I do, but I’m afraid to say that despite its grandeur and impressive engineering, I just don’t particularly care for it. Today’s ride was pretty rough and rattly, and I was also really stapled in by the OTSR by the end, meaning that by the end, my thighs, shoulders and neck were all feeling somewhat worse for wear. Smiler is an impressive ride, and it has some good elements, but I’m afraid I wasn’t a massive fan of it today:
IMG-0998.jpg

IMG-1001.jpg

After my ride on The Smiler, I decided to head over to the other side of the park, taking a dark ride detour on my way over…
The Curse at Alton Manor
The Curse at Alton Manor was on an advertised 5 minute queue time, so I decided to have a go on it. The queue time board was true to its word, as the queue was very short indeed; I think 5 minutes was a pessimistic estimate! I was interested to have another go on Alton Manor, as I‘d only actually ridden it once previously, 1 week after it opened in 2023. So, how was it? Well, I think it was a pretty good run in terms of effects; with the glaring exception of the Trommel Tunnel, pretty much everything worked! They’ve also done a few nice enhancements in there since my last ride! In terms of my overall thoughts on Alton Manor, these are largely unchanged compared to my initial ride in March 2023; I think it’s a nice overhaul of Duel, and it overall works well, but I don’t think it‘s perfect and I do perhaps find it slightly overhyped. As someone who’s not a huge fan of horror, I also find it a bit jumpy and overwhelming in places, even if I didn’t find the ride overall too bad in this regard. Nonetheless, I overall enjoyed my ride on Alton Manor; it was running very well in terms of effects, and I enjoyed some of the enhancements since my initial ride:
IMG-1006.jpg

IMG-1004.jpg

IMG-1005.jpg

After my ride on Alton Manor, I headed onto my next coaster…
Nemesis Reborn
Nemesis was on an advertised 15 minute queue, so I decided that was an opportunity too good to pass up! If anything, this 15 minute queue was overstated, as I only waited around 10 minutes; it’s great when that happens! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 6, and it was absolutely excellent! The ride was fast, wonderfully forceful without being too forceful and also very smooth and comfortable (I personally find the much debated rattle largely benign; it doesn’t even come close to affecting my enjoyment, and I hardly notice it for the most part)! Having Nemesis back in the lineup has made me remember just what a cracking coaster it is; the layout design is so original, and I absolutely love some of those sequences of elements! Overall, then, I absolutely loved my ride on Nemesis; it was absolutely fantastic:
IMG-1008.jpg

IMG-1009.jpg

IMG-1007.jpg

IMG-1011.jpg

After my ride on Nemesis, I sat down and ate my packed lunch for a few minutes. After that, I decided to go for another ride on Nemesis straight away; I thought that one of my favourite Alton coasters on a queue less than 15 minutes was an opportunity too good to pass up! I was seated in row 4 this time, and the ride was once again excellent, providing a highly thrilling and rerideable experience!

After my ride on Nemesis, I headed over to Galactica, which had an advertised queue time of 15 minutes that looked even shorter. I was anticipating another very quick ride, but Galactica unfortunately broke down when I was just outside the station. I waited it out for 5-10 minutes, but it didn’t look as though the situation was improving, so I bailed and exited the queue after that:
IMG-1012.jpg

IMG-1013.jpg

After bailing on Galactica, I decided to take a 3rd ride on Nemesis Reborn, which was still on a very short advertised queue of only 15 minutes. I was seated in row 3 this time, and the ride was once again absolutely awesome! I know this completely defies all logic, but I swear that Nemesis Reborn feels more intense towards the front of the train:
IMG-1014.jpg

IMG-1015.jpg

After my reride on Nemesis, I took a route I don’t usually take and took the Lakeside Walk through The Gardens. This is a surprisingly excellent shortcut to the other side of the park, and the scenery is lovely!

After taking this walk, I then headed back over to Oblivion, which had an advertised queue time of 20 minutes. The queue turned out to be under 15 minutes and later became only around 5 minutes, so I had not one, not two, not three, but four consecutive rerides on Oblivion! As with my ride earlier, all of these rerides were absolutely excellent; the raw sense of speed in that tunnel is unrivalled, and the airtime is wonderful! To make things even better, I had some wonderfully loose restraints on these rides, so I really flew out of my seat over the drop!:
IMG-1017.jpg

IMG-1016.jpg

After my wonderful riding session on Oblivion, I headed over to a coaster I hadn’t yet done that had just reopened following an earlier bout of downtime…
Rita
Rita was on an advertised 15 minute queue, so as I hadn’t done it yet, I decided to give it a go. This 15 minute queue turned out to be overstated, as I found myself in the air gates of row 2 merely 5 minutes after joining. It’s always great when that happens! So, how was the ride? Well, I have to say that I actually quite like Rita, for all my sins. Yes, it’s no Stealth, but I think it’s a really solid coaster, with an awesome hydraulic launch and some cracking ejector airtime! It’s not the most comfortable coaster in terms of restraints, which is perhaps exacerbated by the stronger lateral motions than on Stealth, but I also don’t find it overly rough; today’s ride had only a small rattle overall. All in all, I really enjoyed my ride on Rita today; it was a good way to end the day, and I’m glad I went for a ride:
IMG-1022.jpg

IMG-1021.jpg

After my ride on Rita, it was just gone 5:30, and my dad was on his way back from JCB to pick me up, so I wandered back to the entrance, bade Alton Towers goodbye for the day and headed out to the drop off zone:
IMG-1023.jpg

IMG-1024.jpg

So, that brings my day at Alton Towers today to an end! I had a wonderful day; I liked having my first solo experience at Alton Towers, and I was really happy to get on 12 rides! Given that it was a Sunday in the summer holidays where I didn’t enter the park until 11:10am and stopped riding at 5:30pm, I was absolutely chuffed with 12 rides!

It was a shame that Wicker Man, my favourite ride on park and favourite UK coaster, was closed following its fiery incident on Friday, and having some rides on that would have been the cherry on top, but its absence didn’t detract from the day and I still had an absolutely amazing day regardless! In terms of specific highlights; it would have to go to Oblivion and Nemesis. Of the coasters I rode today, those two were easily my favourites; I loved getting multiple rides on both, and both of them are comfortably among the finest coasters in the UK, in my view. It was also good to get back on some of the other rides, and overall, I just had a thoroughly brilliant day at Alton Towers today!

Thanks for reading; I hope you enjoyed this report! My next report will be coming in just 2 weeks’ time, when I head to East Anglia for my first ever visits to Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach, Pleasurewood Hills and Joyland, so stay tuned for that!