What's new

Alton in a day!

herbinator

Mega Poster
HI,
I have never been to alton but am going in the holidays but only for one day. On the average day, can you get on all the coasters and most of the rides in one day. I can probably push it to 2 if I can't fit it in.

Thanks

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's tough to say. I think it's possible, but then again, if the queues aren't in your favour...

I think you'll easily get on all the rides you want to do, but if the queues are too long then it could be worth considering single rider.

Don't worry about it, just prioritise the rides you want to get on, then work your way logically through them. Rides like Oblivion tend to be quieter in the morning, and Nemesis often has a small queue later in the day. Just use a bit of park sense and head for the busiest rides around lunchtime. You'll be fine.

Brookes

Giga Poster
If you mean the summer holidays, it shouldn't be that bad. I visited quite a few times in the summer holidays last year and the queues didn't really go over 45 mins and they were only for Rita and Air. Obviously with Th13teen in the mix now, no one can predict how the queues will go, but if you get around quick enough and don't faff around then yes I'd say you could.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
It can be done in one day,but at a push.

I've been during the Easter holidays,and during the school Summer holidays,and on both accounts,we just managed to do want we wanted too.

Nemesis,air and Rita always seemed to have the biggest queues,for some reason,Oblivion was virtually walk on,on both accounts.But you can't really count on that.Plus Th13teen will soak up most of the queues this year. :lol:

jayjay

Giga Poster
Best thing to do is look at a map first, decide which rides you want to go on and word out a route. Alton Towers is huge geographically so it's not a case of "I fancy a ride on Oblivion now." Because if you're next to Air, that's a 10 minute walk.

Alton Towers is roughly a crescent shaped park with the skyride linking each end together (you can walk across the valley, but that takes a long time). The entrance is in the middle of the crescent. I usually find the best plan is to start at one end and work my way round to the other end. So you could go straight to Rita and Thirteen, then walk back towards the entrance doing X Sector, Spinball, then move on to Mutiny Bay, Katanga Canyon, Duel and Forbidden Valley.

Alternatively, you could go straight to one end, let's say Forbidden Valley, take a skyride to Ug Land to do Rita and Thirteen, then work your way round.

But usually, however you do the park, you'll get to do everything you want to (unless something gets closed of course).

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Get a couple fast tracks, whore the SRQ's, go to the far ends of the park first, have lunch at a different time to other people etc.

But seriously, sometimes people use SRQ's and it sucks. Once, I went, and no one was using them, and I got on each of the main rides about 7 or 8 times over, with the others in between. That day rocked :D

A

Anonymous

Definitely hit the single riders mate, only from experience can I say that the que times are never in your favour. Ok maybe they are on the smaller coasters, but for things like Oblivion and Nemesis, nah.

Or maybe invest in some Fast Track tickets?

Anyways mate have a good time when you go there! :)

Jake

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
Rides like Oblivion tend to be quieter in the morning, .

Seriously?!

Oblivion is always heaving in the morning, as everyone flocks to X Sector and Adventureland on the way into the park.

If you don't mind waiting, do Oblivion an hour or so before closing. It's normally walk on, or a very short queue, even on busier days.

That's about the only advice I have really... most other rides seem to have similar waiting times. Oblivion is the one I find to vary the most between morning/afternoon.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Oblivion often has small queues. Rita and Nemesis not so, get them out of the way ASAP.

Spinball is single-rider or you're ****ed big time.

I'd recommend two days though if you can so you can enjoy the park rather than rushing everything in.

andrus

Giga Poster
herbinator said:
HI,
I have never been to alton but am going in the holidays but only for one day. On the average day, can you get on all the coasters and most of the rides in one day. I can probably push it to 2 if I can't fit it in.

Thanks
My first and only visit to AT was in august last year and we bought fastrack tickets and we barely got to ride as much as we would like too...

This is the ride record (with fastrack) from the visit:
Oblivion x 4
Rita x 4
Air x 2
Nemesis x 2
Spinball x 2
Flume x 1
Rapids x 1
Duel x 1
Hex x 1
Topspin x 1
Enterprice x 1
Submission x 1

We were quite satisfied with the visit although I wanted to go some more times on Air and Nemesis as well, especially Nemesis in the front, but we had no time left!

If that's enough for you one day with fastracks will do. But if you go without fastracks you will need at least two days hence the ques on especially Air, Nemesis and Rita are very long (1h+).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Jake said:
Hixee said:

Seriously?!

Oblivion is always heaving in the morning, as everyone flocks to X Sector and Adventureland on the way into the park.
I've rarely queued more than about 15 mins for it in the morning. I usually head there first, get on it couple times, then head elsewhere.

andrus

Giga Poster
Hixee said:
Jake said:
Hixee said:

Seriously?!

I've rarely queued more than about 15 mins for it in the morning. I usually head there first, get on it couple times, then head elsewhere.
Oblivion was walk on morning/lunch/evening, didn't really need fastrack for that ride.

Jools

Giga Poster
I usually manage all of the coasters, but sometimes miss one of the coasters, and don't really like the flats so miss them.