What's new

A Viking Journey (Tusenfryd, Emerald Park) - July 2024

NemesisRider

Roller Poster
Intro: A Questionable Itinerary

Let's get the obvious thing out of the way - yes, Tusenfryd and Emerald Park make no geographic sense as a combined trip. But if the vikings can travel from Norway (ish) to Ireland, then dammit, I can too.

Back in January, me and some of my friends from university began to plan a group holiday for post-exams. I pitched a trip to Poland (I wonder why) but ultimately got out-voted, thus Norway became our destination. Our initial plan was to start in Oslo and travel to Bergen via train. Whilst my friends had easy and cheap flights from London - can't have anything here in the North I swear - direct flight options from Manchester which were either horrifically over-priced or literally non-existent. After several sessions of intense Skyscanner-ing, I concocted myself two additional stopovers based on bargain flights. The first was Katowice on the way out, which I've already reported on in the epilogue to my impromptu April trip there. The second was Dublin enroute home, where I did 2 nights to tick off Emerald Park. Being in Oslo also made Tusenfryd a no-brainer choice, especially since the addition of Storm last year.

Most of my time in Norway was spent with friends, hiking and seeing the sights. It's a beautiful country with stunning scenery, though it definitely takes some planning to do well on a student budget. Whilst I could happily write more at length about Norway, my two main recommendations would be to get the Bergenbanen instead of flying if you're travelling between these two cities (the views are breathtaking) and to visit the Holmenkollbakken for amazing panaromic views of Oslo, despite it being a little out of the way.

OD4 12 IMG_2679.jpg

Part 1: Tusenfryd

Tusenfryd gets a bit of a bad wrap. Common allegations include long queues, a "meh" ride lineup and generally being Poundshop Liseberg. Whilst the last one is probably true, Tusenfryd turned out to be a good park with a decent ride lineup.

Unfortunately, I went into the day in about the worst possible mood. After travelling from Katowice, dealing with a breakdown down Flytoget train, then trapsing around Oslo, I was tired. I was annoyed to find that Tusenfryd wouldn't let me buy tickets through their website - Norwegian postcodes are numbers only, so it refused to accept my UK postcode when booking. I turned to Trip.com, which admittedly did let me buy a fixed date ticket... except for the fact that I had booked for the wrong date this time.

"Ah f***, that's £35 down the drain, isn't it?"

After speedrunning the 5 stages of grief, I went to the park the next morning more or less resigned to having to buy a new ticket. I thought it was worth asking to customer services, fully expecting to be told it was an external vendor and hence not their problem. However, the lovely Norwegian bloke working the desk was very understanding and I had a new working ticket within 5 minutes. My experiences with customer services at most theme parks indicate that they usually struggle to get you any resolution, let alone quickly, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Tusenfryd has a wonderful setting, with plenty of dense woodland throughout the park despite the motorway being quite nearby. The park is on a hill, with plenty of slopes throughout the park, and even twin escalators which pass through Speed Monster’s Norwegian Loop on the way in. It very much fits the bill on being styled rather than themed, with some nice areas such as the brand new Dragonville. I found Tusenfryd a really pleasant place to spend time, with very friendly staff.

TU15 IMG_2483.jpg

Despite it being after opening when I arrived, I was slightly concerned to see what felt like a lack of rides in motion. It turned out that some staggered openings were in place on the day of my visit, in addition to Speed Monster and Thor's Hammer suffering bouts of downtime across the day, but with a whole day to play with and what turned out to be very manageable queue times across the park, this didn't prove a problem.

First on the agenda was the park's new E-ticket, Storm - The Dragon Legend. I've been quietly intrigued by this thing since Vekoma impressed me with Hals Uber Kopf, which I think offers an interesting new take on the invert compared to the classic B&M model. Storm instead invites comparisons to the Intamin impulse coasters, albeit brought into the 2020s.

TU11 IMG_2359.jpg

The ride starts with a gentle first launch forward, sending you only a little up the first inversion, before rolling back and giving a decently powerful second thrust backwards. The front gets comparatively little action here, but the back rows get a lovely floaty moment of near upside-down suspension on the immelmann. A similarly punchy third launch throws up you into the dive loop, which unfortunately is noticeably rough on the entry. This element however does offer a cool sensation, over-rotating on the dive and beginning the manoeuvre late, which leads to fantastic floatiness at the top. Storm’s trains feel great, offering tons of upper body freedom, though the lap bar did have a tendency to press down further throughout the ride. An intense albeit rattly valley pulls into the fantastic airtime hill which offers great sustained ejector throughout the train. This was my personal highlight, and a real surprise to see on an invert. The valleys also seem to get smoother from here on out, as the second dive loop use a similar floaty over-rotation manoeuvre to great effect. Finally, Storm slickly transitions into an immelmann with some surprising force at the bottom. Another quick boost of speed sends you into a second lap, making Storm feel satisfyingly long.

TU06 IMG_2443.jpg

For a prototype, Storm is great, and I’m very excited to see what Gerstlauer do next with the concept. There are many parks that could benefit from something like the Gerstlauer multi-launched invert, which offers better trains, punchier launches and a meatier layout than alternatives like the SRIIs. Unfortunately, it does jackhammer quite a bit which makes the experience quite uncomfortable at points. I found the smoothness notably better at the back of the train (which also has the best experience on the swing launch), so I assume it to be a train issue. Special shout-out to the ride ops who were really powering through to get the trains sent out quickly.

TU17 IMG_2427.jpg

Second on the list was Thundercoaster, the park’s Vekoma wooden coaster. It’s not great. This coaster has run Timberliners since 2015, which provide little in the way of cushioning against the roughness since most of the valleys on this ride feel like a minor car-crash. Some of the airtime hills surprisingly do offer some decent floater, especially the first hill, though there are some dud moments. I’d recommend the front for the best experience, as it was probably the smoothest seat and had great views of the woodland setting. This ride grew on me after multiple rides, but it’s definitely one you have to laugh at to best enjoy.

TU01 IMG_2379.jpg

The cred run continued with Huri Huri. It’s a kiddie coaster that spins and it did literally one lap. Next.

As Speed Monster was still attempting to get up and running, Loopen was the next stop. It’s well-presented, looking very vibrant despite its age. As old-gen Vekomas go, it was tolerable, though not memorable. Operations unfortunately however were terrible, using only 1 train and being very slow.

TU08 IMG_2520.jpg

Tusenfryd has a slightly weird layout, which is probably obvious from the moment you see escalators at the front entrance. Most of the park is located at the top of a hill, and you climb further to reach attractions like Storm. However, the viking themed area (where Supersplash, my next coaster was to be found) is at the bottom of the hill and feels frustratingly isolated. This led to me skipping Thor’s Hammer, which was a shame as I’d heard good things about it. SuperSplash itself was quite bland, with a decent drop albeit fairly dry. Ragnarok was a fun rapids and frankly more interesting than its neighbour, with some nice theming and a sizable drop.

TU04 IMG_2416.jpg

Enroute back to Speed Monster, I ticked off Western Express (a standard kiddie coaster), Space Shot (a standard S&S shot tower), and Spinspider (a good gyro swing). When I arrived, I was relieved to see it had reopened and only amassed a small queue.

Speed Monster, the park’s Intamin hydraulic launch coaster, is still very much the icon of the park despite the addition of Storm. It really succeeds on its presentation, offering a designated viewing area for the launch and being carefully placed on the park’s skyline. Unfortunately, I’d say this is the weakest Intamin hydraulic launch I’ve done, falling below the likes of Rita. Ultimately, Speed Monster’s main issue is that it feels a little forceless – the launch doesn’t give the same “punch in the gut” feeling as its peers, the only really strong moment of positives comes with the Norwegian loop, and only the first hill delivers meaningful airtime. It’s certainly a fun ride, being arguably the smoothest thrilling coaster in the park, and offering a couple of notably good elements in the signature loop and the final corkscrew. The rest, however, is fine if not especially memorable.

TU09 IMG_2529.jpg

By this stage in the day, I was mostly happy to just reride my favourites (mostly Storm), though I did stop for a quick lap their log flume (which was quite short and standard).

I left Tusenfryd feeling very satisfied. Rides-wise, Storm is the clear highlight and probably the only thing worth going out of the way for. Equally, I was pleasantly surprised by both the setting of the park and the customer service, with operations being broadly good and staff being notably attentive. If you’re in Oslo, it’s a worthwhile stop, especially seeing as it’s very simple to reach via public transport (only 25 minutes from the central station via bus). But, if you’re planning a trip and want to visit a Scandinavian park on a hill with an iconic launched coaster… you’re better off going to Liseberg.

TU07 IMG_2456.jpg

Last edited:
Part 2: The Emerald Isle (and Emerald Park)

I still remember the palpable excitement in the UK enthusiast community when Tayto Park opened back in 2015. Finally, a decent woodie you didn’t need a passport to reach! Then in 2019 planning went in for what could have been the world’s first Vekoma STC… if it hadn’t ended up in local planning hell and got pipped to the post by Tripsdrill. Flash forward to 2024, and they’ve finally done it – Tir na nOg is now open, giving me a perfect reason to finally tick the place off my list.

When planning this leg of the trip, I was slightly surprised at how expensive accommodation was in central Dublin, with next to nothing available for less than £100 a night. I ended up settling for an Airbnb in Ashbourne, the nearest town to Emerald Park. Public transport connections to the park are great here, with half-hourly buses, but the Bus Eireann links to the airport and city centre felt slightly lacking in frequency and reliability.

DUB04 IMG_2905.jpg

Before heading to Ashbourne, I briefly dipped into Dublin to see a few sights. Whilst I was less enchanted with it than other European capitals, Trinity College is beautiful, and I'd definitely liked to have more time to learn about the city's role in the Irish independence movement. Most relevant for the rest of this trip report, when in Dublin I also got myself a LeapCard at Heuston Station. These are travel cards similar in concept to London's Oyster, and seemingly the only alternative to paying with cash on Dublin's buses - tap-on with contactless card is apparently not a thing, so either come with cash or plan to get one of these. Once you have one, it can be topped up via a phone app, which is simple enough.

DUB08 IMG_2877.jpg

My bus arrived at Emerald Park a few minutes before opening at 9:30am - very soon after I was through the turnstiles and equipped with my All Access ride wristband for the day.

Emerald Park's layout is a little odd, splitting the park more or less in half. On the right side of the park is the bulk of the rides, including the thrill attractions and most of the family rides. On the left is a mix of zoo exhibits, playgrounds and a small section dedicated to kiddie rides; I spent much less time on this side. It also didn't take me long to realise that, despite increasingly valiant efforts at theming individual rides, Emerald Park still feels very much an amusement park rather than a theme park. Midways are mostly plain asphalt with generic wooden fencing, some of the park's day 1 flat rides feel a bit carelessly slapped down, and the park is homogeneously flat. Unlike Tusenfryd the week prior, I felt there were few places in the park where I would enjoy simply sitting and watching the world go by. With that said, it's still a clean and pleasant environment to be in, immediately making it better than many US amusement parks (cough SFMM cough).

EP13 IMG_3070.jpg

I started my day at the brand new Tir na nÓg, which is the exception to most of the flaws I've listed above despite still being something of a work-in-progress. The area is anchored by two Vekoma roller coasters, the STC Na Fianna Force and the family boomerang The Quest. These two rides obviously invite comparison to Hals Über Kopf and Volldampf at Tripsdrill, a similar STC-boomerang combo which I rode (and really enjoyed) back in 2022. Tir na nÓg is very well-presented, including plenty of viewing spots to watch or photograph the coasters, as well as eye catching thematic elements like the entrance gate and the castle tower. The land is bursting with kinetic energy and is a surprisingly good attempt for the park's first truly themed area.

EP08 IMG_2935.jpg

Up first was The Quest, which is still noticeably unfinished on the theming department, with its station currently lacking a roof. Despite this, I'd have no qualms putting it on the better end of the family boomerangs I've done. The main thing The Quest has going for it is its integration into the Tir na nÓg area - the ride twists around the structure of Na Fianna Force, over water, and under a bridge before climbing the tower spike. The layout is decent, mostly focusing on twisty hills and being less nauseous than some of its cousins (looking at you, Raik).

Ep10 IMG_3006.jpg

On an unrelated note, a few ACE folks were in the park that day in advance of their upcoming EU trip. I chatted to a couple of them and they seemed lovely, though I was a little amused by the fact that they clapped every time their train reached the station.

Next up, was Na Fianna Force. As you enter Emerald Park, this ride’s striking red lift hill makes a great impression alongside Chu Chulainn on the skyline. Up close, it also definitely feels the most complete part of Tir na nOg for now, with some really nice rockwork from Joravision. I suspect it’ll look even better in time once the nearby construction is tidied up and the foliage grows in. The ride’s short queue is much more inventive than most of the cattlepens found elsewhere in the park, taking you above the pond nearby The Quest, next to the ride’s final twists, and into an enclosed Armoury where a neat animated preshow is projected onto the wall. From here, you are batched onto the coaster, then take your very comfortable seats onboard.

Ep12 IMG_3034.jpg

The more I’ve reflected on both Na Fianna Force and Hals Über Kopf, the more I realise that these rides are completely carried by the train design. The Vekoma invert trains are utterly fantastic, offering tons of freedom which makes even simple manoeuvres feel great. The first drop is best on the back row, offering a sharp pull as you dive into a trench. The following overbank maintains the rapid pace as you then soar into a corkscrew, which leaves you floating and able to enjoy the immense freedom. This leads into a turn which dips you through the Quest station – a really neat moment of interaction for both coasters – before flipping into another floaty inversion. The sustained climb on the subsequent helix is probably the most intense moment on the ride (albeit nothing on the likes of Lech), and leads into another floaty twisty drop. The ride concludes with a series of low to the ground twists, dives and turns which have a deceptively good amount of whip.

EP06 IMG_2972.jpg

Na Fianna Force is the best ride in the park, and a smash hit in my books. It’s glossy smooth, even smoother than its German sister, and over the course of the day I squeezed in 26 rides (a new personal record) without even a hint of a headache. I spent a lot of time going back and forth over whether I prefer Hals or Fianna – Fianna well may have higher highs with a more intense drop and better executed inversions, but Hals has oodles of charm on the theming front and a more varied layout. I honestly love both, but I’ll begrudgingly overcome recency bias to give Hals the minor edge. Both are damn near perfect family thrill coasters, and I can’t wait to see Vekoma tackle a more intense layout with this model. As for the comparison to Storm at Tusenfryd, the other new invert I rode that week, I think Na Fianna Force plays more to my tastes. It may be less intense by some way, but the boost in smoothness means I can fully focus on enjoying myself without getting shaken like a cocktail.

EP09 IMG_3001.jpg

Essay over, time for more rides.

Chu Chulainn had high expectations to live up, being my first 100% Gravity Group coaster. I left with mixed emotions. First off, despite the grand entrance archway, as an overall package Chu Chulainn is much more sparse than Na Fianna Force. At least the themed music is cool, even if it sounds strangely like the Thorpe Park Island Soundtrack. The coaster’s layout is mostly good – there’s some solid floater airtime hills throughout, amusingly violent moments like the twisted double down, and several times when it feels on the verge of ending where it finds a little more momentum to keep going. It’s certainly good fun and a great icon for the park. Equally, the ride felt noticeably sluggish in the morning and the signature overbank has a conspicuous jolt in the middle. More importantly, the roughness on the valleys often feels more like pain than fun, which I’m starting to believe is a train issue; I’ve found this to varying extents with the 3 Timberliner coasters I’ve ridden (Tonerre 2 Zeus, Thundercoaster and Chu Chulainn). GCI looks set to remain my favourite wooden coaster company for now.

EP02 IMG_3055.jpg

Onwards and downwards. Next up is Dino Dash, a surprisingly decent little Vekoma family coaster. The first drop is deceptively aggressively, and the layout is solid for what it is. The theming is also good, if a little cheap looking; I only wish the sightlines outside of the queueline were optimised a little better.

EP11 IMG_3046.jpg

This was followed by the neighbouring Flight School, a Zierer force. The way I see it, this is basically a mild downgrade on Dino Dash in every way – weaker theming, weaker layout, worse trains. But hey, a +1 is a +1, and the kids clearly enjoy it.

After a spin on Rotator (still don’t like these slightly nauseating flats, honestly) I went for a ride on the Viking Voyage. This flume is quite well-executed, with 3 decently sized drops, some turntable action, and as much viking theming as you’d expect. Think Valhalla at Pleasure Beach on a small budget and outside. However, much like Valhalla, the choice to build a what feels like a very wet ride somewhere with an ostensibly s***e climate somewhat eludes me. I was saved from my fate of being wet and miserable all day as a friendly Irish man handed me a poncho for free halfway through the queue.

To complete the cred run, I once again had to subject myself to another SBF Visa contraption. Ladybug Loop didn’t even have the decency to be open at first, as a technician was changing some of the bulbs on the sign. I sighed and resolved to come back later in the day, when I did successfully confirm that this ride was, indeed, a waste of my precious time on this Earth. +1.

IMG_3036.JPG

With all of my priority rides ticked off, I had time to explore Emerald Park’s zoo, where I was delighted to see some Big Ol’ Birds and various other critters. They did a raptor show which I think might have been a nice way to spend 30 minutes away from the rides, but I barely just missed the first sitting and couldn’t be bothered trekking back from Tir na nOg to do the second sitting. Unfortunately, I did find the zoo part of the park quite lacking on the atmosphere department; exhibits felt a bit scattered and some of the environments didn’t offer many chances for great views or interactivity. Young kids will certainly enjoy it, but I was personally a bit underwhelmed.

EP14 IMG_3038.jpg

Looking back over my count, it seems that I did no other unique rides at the park, mainly as the remaining thrill rides were mostly spinny flats which I fully expected to make me feel ill. Already limping from messing up my ankle in Dublin, I decided to minimise the chance of further ailments and stuck to reriding Na Fianna Force and Chu Chulainn for the rest of the day. After getting the last train of the day on the former, I hopped on the bus home and wrapped up my final day travelling in extravagant fashion (dinner at McDonalds in Ashbourne).

EP04 IMG_2930.jpg

Compared to other European destinations right now, Emerald Park has fewer unique offerings for the seasoned enthusiast – Tripsdrill executed the STC-Boomerang concept just as well if not better, Chu Chulainn feels much overshadowed by the likes of Wodan, and the park's setting isn't especially exciting. But whilst I’ve done a fair bit of complaining here, I really had a great day there and I’d certainly recommend it if you’re in the Dublin area. The project is clearly a labour of love, they seem to be making waves with their target family demographic, and their additions are only increasing in quality. Tir na nÓg is their best work to date and hopefully a sign that the park's future is bright. If they keep this up and invest further in unique attractions, then I’m sure it won’t be too long before I’m back.

Na Fianna Selfie 2.jpg

Last edited:
Great write-up! Nice to see that you had a good time. A few points deducted for consistently spelling Tusenfryd's name wrong, but "pound shop Liseberg" is probably the most apt description of the park I've heard in a while. It's sad to see Speed Monster being more rust-coloured than dark blue these days, as it is the signature attraction of the park. Literally the first and last thing guests see as they are arriving and leaving. Contrast the coasters at Emerald Park, which to be fair are a lot newer. Still, appearances really matter.

^ Fixed the mispellings - proof-reading has never been my strong suit, much to my thesis supervisor's chagrin.

Speed Monster would definitely appreciate a lick of paint, but when I compare it to what I'm used to in the UK (AKA, rides like Galactica, which has been begging for a good repaint for almost a decade)... my judgment softens a little. I overall I found the park was pretty well maintained, especially given Parque Reunidos reputation.

However, the viking themed area (where Supersplash, my next coaster was to be found) is at the bottom of the hill and feels frustratingly isolated. This led to me skipping Thor’s Hammer, which was a shame as I’d heard good things about it.
Why couldnt you just walk to the entrance of Thor and ride it?
Yeah the park has a wierd layout but I still rode Supersplash/Thor/Ragnarok just fine since they are still reasonably close together.

Yeah the park has a wierd layout but I still rode Supersplash/Thor/Ragnarok just fine since they are still reasonably close together.
Yeah, you pass the when going to and from Super Splash, so it's not that far out of the way. A better reason to skip Thor's Hammer is that it's all in Norwegian.

Now Ragnarok, on the other hand, feels like they wanted to put the queue entrance as far away from everything else as they possibly could.

I did try to get on Thor twice. When I came to that bit of the park for the Supersplash credit in the morning it was shut, with a staff member outside turning people away. When I came back down to that area later in the day I got as far as the station before the ride broke down again and the queueline got emptied. Couldn't be bothered wasting 15 minutes walking there and back from Storm after that second time, especially as I had no idea if it was still down.