What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

cookie

Giga Poster
Seems like maybe an internal decision has already been made to ahead with this, otherwise why would they still be releasing all this stuff? Didn't people say there were told at the meeting that the decision was meant to be made in June?
It's rumoured that there's a slight delay because of the election, but apparently some sort of announcement (probably the first applications being submitted) is happening the week after.

Swat

Hyper Poster
The fact that Sky, who are owned by the same people are reporting it like this should show it's very close to being commited to. These figures are just ensuring it's pushed over the line with whoever gets into power next.

SeanN90

Roller Poster
I’m hoping when this gets built, they decide to build a 500ft drop gigacoaster from B&M that is an airtime machine. Run 5 trains for capacity and just completely **** all over Hyperia and Merlin. And have half the spinning just good measure that would be cool doing some of the ride backwards and sideways.

Bowser

Mega Poster
I’m hoping when this gets built, they decide to build a 500ft drop gigacoaster from B&M that is an airtime machine. Run 5 trains for capacity and just completely **** all over Hyperia and Merlin. And have half the spinning just good measure that would be cool doing some of the ride backwards and sideways.

I know you're joking but the plans released so far had height restrictions included, i can't remember exactly what they were but i'm 99% sure they were under 200ft. Could dig some very deep tunnels of course :D

On the other hand regardless of that i think it would be quite difficult for a Universal park to not make Merlin look bad.

Matt N

CF Legend
I know you're joking but the plans released so far had height restrictions included, i can't remember exactly what they were but i'm 99% sure they were under 200ft. Could dig some very deep tunnels of course :D
The consultation actually listed the maximum height of any “component” as 115m, or around 377ft. It would still not be tall enough for a “500ft giga coaster” as the poster above wants, but it would be a tall enough limit to comfortably beat Hyperia, if Universal so desired.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
With the election now over, Mohammed Yasin has been re-elected as the MP for Bedford and Kempston. Bigger majority than before, but only a slight increase in votes for him.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Ollie

CF Legend
Universal Studios have posted a job for Director of operations, new ventures.

This looks to be for the same department that Page Thompson is the president off at Universal and the exact same department that would be heading up Universal Studios Great Britain.

Universal Studios have posted a job for Director of operations, new ventures.

This looks to be for the same department that Page Thompson is the president off at Universal and the exact same department that would be heading up Universal Studios Great Britain.

No salary details, I don't think I'l bother...

Ollie

CF Legend
It appears Universal have in recent months begun to acquire some of the residential properties located within the development zone for their prospective UK theme park and resort.

Nonetheless, a final decision as to whether to proceed with the project is still to be announced.

1000012485.jpg
From Attraction Source

Matt N

CF Legend
So I have just seen this via X (source @USGBUpdates)

View attachment 32664

It appears that Bedford Borough Council have submitted this letter to the Prime Minister. They seem really keen to be push this forward and as said above, I think this’ll go ahead regardless of whether this is official or not at this current moment.
We should add that it is not just Bedford Borough who have pledged their support. Central Bedfordshire, Luton Borough, Milton Keynes City, North Northamptonshire and West Northamptonshire have also pledged their support: https://universalukproject.co.uk/wp.../07/Bedford-Borough-Council-Press-Release.pdf

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
Interesting article in Bedford Today - apparently people from the council were meant to give an update on the project at a meeting but they didn't attend, someone else was asked for more news but they said they'd signed an NDA so weren't sure what was allowed to be said.

Sounds like it probably is moving ahead but they'll do some public announcement at a set time

Edit: forgot the actual link: Here's the article

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Another interesting article about how the theme park could lower local house prices £50k!
I'm no expert in these things, but feels a bit one sided to me. I would have thought the public infrastructure updates alone would offset some of it, not to mention the tertiary services boost in the area for local jobs/economy.

Would be a good time to buy an Airbnb-able house, that's for sure. Loss of property value wouldn't even cross your mind then... :D

Peet

Giga Poster
To be fair, everything published about this project so far has been very one-sided in a positive way, it was only a matter of time before some overly negative stuff starts to be said. The analysis seems pretty vague and unscientific to me, not really looking at all the factors that affect house prices and theme park locations. For example, house prices are generally higher in towns and cities, and theme parks are generally not in towns or cities. Therefore it stands to reason that houses near theme parks tend to cost less. Leaping to the conclusion that a new theme park will knock £50k off the value of houses within the outcode area does not seem warranted!

Last edited: