What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Out of pure curiosity, I’d be curious to know; is there anyone else on here who hasn’t ridden Hyperia yet?

I only ask because it feels like everyone and their dog has ridden it now, but I’m not able to get on it for another month…
We haven't been yet. Our last trip to Thorpe was pretty bad (bad food, park looked shabby, long queues for everything) so we're not in a rush to return. Maybe we will in the summer, orcin September.

I just don't want to be queuing 45 minutes+ for everything

Out of pure curiosity, I’d be curious to know; is there anyone else on here who hasn’t ridden Hyperia yet?

I only ask because it feels like everyone and their dog has ridden it now, but I’m not able to get on it for another month…
I haven't. And probably won't be able to until much later in the year or even next year. Seen it from the M25 a couple of times though 😂

I went back to Thorpe yesterday and got another three rides on Hyperia (after the 5 I had 3 weeks ago). I lucked out by getting on the front and back rows within 30 minutes of one another today, so I could really compare the different experiences.

Unless it's a launch, I'm generally a back-seat type - but front row is fantastic on Hyperia. The airtime isn't as strong but it's more sustained, and the outerbank is definitely better up front. In the front row, the perspective shift of the track rolling away from the horizon is really pretty special.

Having said that, the back row is much more intense and impactful in general. The whip over the first drop and the hangtime into the stall are incredible.

Basically, every seat is fantastic and they all have their benefits. I enjoyed it much more today having had a few weeks to process the first few rides (although I loved it 3 weeks ago too). It's cemented my opinion - this is a really special ride, and definitely the UK's best.

Hyperia fighting for its life today 🤣

delayed opening at 10:52 - been open less than 20 minutes and its experiencing problems again 🥲

I've not ridden either yet. Had two trips planned but didn't end up going both times due to Hyperia having issues, and didn't see the point in risking it when im having to make my way all the way down from Manchester. So decided i'll probably wait until September now as well. Sounds like a few people here have the same plan!

September for me too. There has been talk of going in the summer holidays with the boyfriends sister/nephews, but I don't know if I'd rather wait it out a bit longer. It could be worth it just to get on Hyperia a little bit earlier and not worry about doing much else. Then also go in September as planned when things are (hopefully) quieter for more of a "get everything done" kind of day.

"is there a name for the hyperia outerbank"

Should add here, that the Mack speakers had a bit of a philosophical discussion about whether it even needs a name. It's a unique element so far, and it's hard to imagine many - if any - coasters getting it. This isn't like a "zero-g roll" or a "wave turn".

Sure, it could be named. But is giving it a non-descriptive name much use (like it being named after someone / something), or is it better to give it a descriptive, albeit less interesting, name (outerbank dive or similar)?

There's obviously no right or wrong answer. But in an age where we're getting ridiculous named elements which appear on 1 or 2 coasters, at most, I think it's better to just 'name' the element as a description of what it does, rather than anything else.

In any case, if it has to be given a name, Kremer roll seems the most appropriate. There was a level of craziness about people suggesting it should be called a Silkstone Roll, Gardner Roll, etc, or silly names like gender roll and what have you.

Should add here, that the Mack speakers had a bit of a philosophical discussion about whether it even needs a name. It's a unique element so far, and it's hard to imagine many - if any - coasters getting it. This isn't like a "zero-g roll" or a "wave turn".

Sure, it could be named. But is giving it a non-descriptive name much use (like it being named after someone / something), or is it better to give it a descriptive, albeit less interesting, name (outerbank dive or similar)?

There's obviously no right or wrong answer. But in an age where we're getting ridiculous named elements which appear on 1 or 2 coasters, at most, I think it's better to just 'name' the element as a description of what it does, rather than anything else.

In any case, if it has to be given a name, Kremer roll seems the most appropriate. There was a level of craziness about people suggesting it should be called a Silkstone Roll, Gardner Roll, etc, or silly names like gender roll and what have you.
I agree - generally there are way too many element names out there when realistically most of them are just some variant of a corkscrew, barrel roll or loop. I have no idea for example why on earth "Drachen Fire Dive Drop" has its own special name when it's literally just a corkscrew. If something has even the slightest deviation from a traditional element then there's this incessant need to give it a separate name and it becomes incredibly tiring to keep track of.

I personally agree with Maurice when he simply referred to it as the 'outside banked turn' as that's how I refer to it too. The Hyperia outerbank already has a name - an outerbank. ;)

Take a look at RCDB - how many of these are realistically needed?1721659714020.png

I agree - generally there are way too many element names out there when realistically most of them are just some variant of a corkscrew, barrel roll or loop. I have no idea for example why on earth "Drachen Fire Dive Drop" has its own special name when it's literally just a corkscrew. If something has even the slightest deviation from a traditional element then there's this incessant need to give it a separate name and it becomes incredibly tiring to keep track of.

I personally agree with Maurice when he simply referred to it as the 'outside banked turn' as that's how I refer to it too. The Hyperia outerbank already has a name - an outerbank. ;)

Take a look at RCDB - how many of these are realistically needed?View attachment 32819
I think it definitely needs a name. I very much doubt this will be the last time we see this element.

However, I do agree on the silly names... Name it after what it does, or it's creator.

I think it's in this thread earlier on, where I said my favourite names were 'Outer Bank Roll,' or 'Outer Bank Twist.' But I do also quite like the Mack team's internal name for it. And to be honest, if they've named it 'Kremer Roll' internally, that's probably what it should be named.

There's obviously precedent for this, with the Stengel Dive. And given some places list that final element on Hyperia as a Stengel Dive, makes for a nice coming together of an absolute coaster design legend, and the new kids on the block, too.

It appears that a 10 minute lift hill stoppage on Sunday made the news and has unfortunately been reported as the ride “breaking again”: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-tallest-rollercoaster-hyperia-grinds-33304243

I know that this was only a minor stoppage that was resolved quickly, but they really will have to hope that it runs flawlessly from here on out, or else the media will leap on every small issue to further the notion that it’s an unreliable ride.

It appears that a 10 minute lift hill stoppage on Sunday made the news and has unfortunately been reported as the ride “breaking again”: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-tallest-rollercoaster-hyperia-grinds-33304243

I know that this was only a minor stoppage that was resolved quickly, but they really will have to hope that it runs flawlessly from here on out, or else the media will leap on every small issue to further the notion that it’s an unreliable ride.
Will a day pass when the news doesn’t make every single tiny issue a big deal?

One person said: "Riders were stuck on Thorpe Park's Hyperia rollercoaster today which opened two months ago." Another claimed: "There's definitely a bigger problem, this ride is having issues every other day."

People are growing concerned with the number of issues the ride seems to be having

Not only do they need to get a handle on the media situation, they need to communicate better with the general public about the ride. They risk the ride getting a bad rep.

I’ve got a reliable source, Contractor that worked as part of the hyperia project team, and they’ve said the problems are a mixture of issues with the chain, the lift motor and a sprocket at the top of the lift hill. In the closed season there needs to be pretty extensive work to the lift hill set up, but Thorpe / Mack have essentially got it running as well as they can do now and are hoping it holds out until the end of the season. Apparently the lift motor has a big issue restarting if the train needs to stop anywhere on the lift for whatever reason maybe a block issue, drone flyby or Estop. Seems to be an oversight due to Hyperia’s lift bill being steeper than other Mack’s.

Not sure if this has been discussed before.