What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Ghost Train used to just open later in the day as well didn't it when it was new?

Feel like every time we've been to Thorpe hardly anything is open for the first hour or so

Originally Ghost Train did (or at least, was planned to) open at 10am. At some point, although I can't remember when (I think either some point in 2017, or 2018), the decision was made to open it from 12pm daily.

The reason for that was because the amount of man hours needed to do the morning engineering checks meant it wasn't particularly feasible to aim to get it open for 10am daily. On top of that, the operational demand (ie actors) meant it was convenient to open it later.

I don't think we'll see Hyperia planned to be open later as the norm going forward, but they clearly are still having to settle in with a big new toy.

Anyone got any views on when might be the “best possible day” to visit in the next few weeks, in terms of busy’ness? I had booked to go for Hyperia a few days after it opened (it got closed), then rebooked for 10th June (still closed), then when i visited on 19th June, it valleyed😅😭. I was trying to avoid the busy summer season, but now have little choice (unless I wait till September!).

My thinking was to just go as early as possible on a Sunday, get a ride in early, then single rider queue it. I don’t really want to have to take another day of annual leave to visit, and I’m imagining at this point, with school trips, weekdays aren’t going to be all that much better… Any insights and thoughts would be much appreciated! 😀 thanks!

If you can hold off till late July, that'll be the best time. It's traditionally a quieter time at UK parks: school trips are over, it's (broadly speaking) when holidays abroad are cheaper, so less people visit. People also think "start of summer holidays must be busy", meaning it ends up being the opposite!

I finally made the trip on Tuesday; it was a fairly busy day with queues reaching about 120 minutes for Hyperia and a couple of others, but it was actually pretty productive. Somehow, we didn't see any school kids all day after seeing the buses turn up en masse at the entrance.

It seems that this might have been Hyperia's best operating day yet - it opened before 10.10 and I only saw two minor, 15-minute shutdowns - one of them caused by a guest being sick. With luck on our side, we managed 5 rides on Hyperia (alongside lunch, some beers, and a couple rides on other things) from rows 3 to 9.

I agree mostly with what everyone else has said - it's really fantastic, and absolutely what Thorpe and the UK needed. Yes, it is a little short - and I wish they had a twisted helix at the end with an airtime "lump" and some strong positives to finish off the ride - but everything that is there hits hard.

The first drop is excellent and one of the best I can think of. The whip in the back is fantastic, and the twist really snaps as you get towards the bottom. There are strong and sustained moments of airtime and hangtime throughout and the outerbanked turn is crazy and unique. On first ride, it's genuinely quite overwhelming and difficult to figure out what's going on - it really does need repeated rides.

It's a shame the viewing area got cut - that really would have fleshed out the area - but I'm really not mad about how the area looks. It's simple, but it works. The fearful/fearless narrative works surprisingly well, and it's all the ride really needs. If anything, I could lose the slightly redundant goddess backstory.

Overall, I think it probably is the best in the UK. It's not troubling my top 5 or so - but it's probably somewhere in the top 10 (my count is about 380). That said, I can see why people would rate it higher or lower - it's quite a specific style of relentless intensity which some will love, and others may not respond to.

I do agree there's a bit of a rattle on one train. Both are a bit shaky - probably mostly due to the speed and intensity - but one is definitely a bit moreso than the other. Nowhere near as bad as Voltron though (which, incidentally, I prefer Hyperia to overall!).

Thorpe looked great, operations were fantastic (Hyperia particularly) and the staff were friendly and chatty - I've not seen Thorpe this good in years.

Six rides on Hyperia later, and it's my new #3. Few coasters leave you positively thinking to yourself "what the f****?" several hours after park close, but Hyperia's managed to do that for me. It's intense, it's relentless, it packs in some of the most ridiculously and obscenely unique airtime moments on a mega coaster, and it's got a fabulous IMAscore soundtrack to boot. I'm gladly overlooking the overall experience's flaws to judge it as a coaster and just a coaster, and as far as being a pure coaster is concerned, it's my UK #1 and is up there with my favourites in Europe.

Well I just did Hyperia for the first time today and managed to get onto it before the queue became a consistent 90mins.

My expectations were blown away… as much as the area itself isn’t WOW, it’s still sells itself and as for the coaster itself, well damn. I was sat in row 6 not expecting much airtime due to being more centre train but I was proven wrong! That first drop with just a lap bar is SCARY but AMAZING at the same time and the rest of the elements are just wow and that outer bank into the dive roll is something else.

A 10/10 coaster for me! Well done Thorpe 👏🏽

On the other hand, as much as they have done some sparkle project, the park still needs a serious clean up.. Inferno next in my opinion. Must say though, she was running mighty fine too.

55th on earth
19th In Europe
2nd in Uk.

(I wont do this every month 😅)

For this month on Captain Coasters ranking Hyperia has gone up in the rankings by quite a bit, it will eventually settle as more reviews come in but interesting to see. Im still yet to ride but im surprised to see it go up so much.

35th on Earth
15th in Europe
1st in Uk

Mabey its rise up the rankings is the english bias and that its new but either way i gotta get on this thing.

Source

Gotta say, after seeing the last POV this ride looks pretty sweet. I never realized how the gold track color change blends into the ground, essentially making it look like the track stops as you're heading to the ground! Only thing missing seems to *maybe* 1 more airtime hill or a helix before going into the break run, just to round out the elements, but looks to be fantastic nonetheless.

Not sure the last time he rode anything without screaming unnecessary stupid comments, guess that's his forte

You'd think after 20 years and a website that has all but completely plummeted in popularity that the pompousness would change, but it hasn't. He's almost just as unbearable in person.

I pretty much refuse to watch any POV's that have that logo stamped on it.

FINALLY had my chance to ride Hyperia yesterday, I live a three hour drive away so it's no longer my local park. To be honest, I was expecting it to be overhyped, I figured since it's in the UK (Thorpe, especially), the fellow goons were blowing it out of proportion a little.

After my first go (row 2) I thought it was really fun but felt a little sluggish in the morning and the drop/airtime wasn't as good as others had said. So we gave it 4 or 5 hours, went and did the other coasters. I then had two more goes on Hyperia, row 9 and then row 10.

Yeah... that thing is pretty great isn't it. First drop in the back row is by far the best drop I've experienced, the jr Immelmann has a good transition from strong positives to negative Gs. The outer bank doesn't feel like I thought it would at all. Somehow it felt slow and never ending but it also pulled me out of my seat with an unbelievable amount of force, I could feel the blood rising to my head, and then it keeps going on the descent. What a weird but fantastic element. Do we have a name for it yet? The stall was pretty good, the stall on Gotham City Escape is far superior in my opinion but it's still fab.

Then the trim! Yikes, not great. The first four elements on this are nothing short of magical for me, and then suddenly you get thrown forward and lose so much speed. Don't get me wrong, the outer bank after this is great, but it just feels like the ride could and should have been so much more epic towards the end and instead it just... gets a bit crap? Splashdown wasn't working either but from what I've seen it looks poo anyway!

Overall I thought it was fantastic, just like most people here said too. I just think it could have been perfect, but it's sadly far from it. Did anyone else also feel a rattle towards the back? Not awful but similar to RtH it's definitely there and noticeable.

Last edited: