What's new

Carowinds Project

JackFish

Mega Poster
I don´t know if its been posted, but on Reddit, there is a post that currently I cant access but if someone else could post it that would be great. Its about a project at Carowinds called project sparrow. Could be a family coaster? Last time there was a code name project it turned out to be copperhead strike. Discuss!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
If it's a full Dino's revamp, sure does seem like a good candidate for a Vekoma Fam-erang, Camp Snoopy expansion like Kings Island. Though you could fit 3 or 4 Rebound models in that plot of land, so maybe something more sizeable could go in.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Maybe a ground up RMC?
You absolutely wish.

Honestly before the wishful thinking speculation goes off, there are a handful of realistic options involved if this is using the Dino's Alive site. Obviously that's considering a new family coaster for Camp Snoopy, since that's been a new trend with Cedar Fair. Yea a Vekoma stock model would go in nicely, but each new Snoopy coaster has been a different manufacturer and model so it'd be really funny if they threw some kind of curveball at us. Make my day, punk, give us a Gerstlauer.

My own wishful thinking asides though, that's a lot of land at their disposal and do they really need to expand the kid's area by that much? I can totally see a new family coaster going in but not a full doubling of Camp Snoopy on its own. Fortunately there are other options.

In July 2023 the park released a survey questioning guests on a log flume, rapids ride, or Mack water coaster after they'd sent the last of their dry park water rides to the grave. It was assumed by most to be a Rip Roaring' Rapids replacement, which is on the North Carolina side and probably the meatier site for this. However the Dino's Alive site is closer to the waterpark and requires little deforestation/terraforming, so it's possible we'll be seeing this here; https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/new-carowinds-survey-points-to-future-water-ride.46329/

Other strong rumors at one point suggested the return of the antique cars, something that wouldn't please us die hard enthusiasts but its proximity to Planet/Camp Snoopy would drive demand from families.

All these factors considered, I'm not expecting a giant new coaster at Carowinds for 2025. Cedar Fair is seemingly filling up their large scale coaster rollout for 2025, with Kings Dominion receiving the next big B&M contract, Canada's Wonderland also working on something big to potentially be ready by next year, and Valleyfair maybe pulling the trigger on their own stuff. Definitely room for a new modest-sized family coaster, though!

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
If 2025 is the year of coasters for KD, Canada's Wonderland, Valleyfair, and kinda Knott's w/ updated Monte..

I wouldn't be surprised to see a small flume and a family boomerang added to Camp Snoopy to make it resemble KI's area a bit more. 2026 would make better sense for large scale coasters for Carowinds and KI (and maybe a CGA or Mich Adv??). Since last year was a bunch of flats and a new themed area for Carowinds, I'd be surprised to see more flats unless they're for kids specifically.

TurboHatch

Roller Poster
When I was at the park this Saturday, underneath AfterBurn (Top Gun) are stacks of what looks like formed fiberglass tubs. They are stacked and only in white. Its a strange shape, looks like a seat of some sort. I could see them maybe being seating tubs for something like antique cars, but I dont think they would assemble on site for those. Anyways, let the mystery continue!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
We have a leak!!!

Project Sparrow will be many things in 2024, none of which is actually on the Dinosaur's Alive site but rather Snoopy's Junction. There will be a splash battle, splash pad, relocated train route, and a Snoopy's Racing Railway/Friddilon's Verruckter Zauberexpress clone from ART Engineering.
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 10.15.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 10.13.21 AM.jpg
1711030667516.png
Source

Look I'm very happy with this and glad that the rumors from last year weren't wrong, and as the rare somebody who's actually ridden Snoopy's Racing Railway in Canada I can attest that it's a great ride. Just have a sick feeling that Carowinds will stick a child companion policy on their ride as well...

I got on wilderness run extremely easy, and the ride ops didn't seem to care that I was there. I would expect it to use the same operating procedure at Tenderpaw at Knotts when it opens. Despite being different models, operations at both parks are insanely similar, so I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that way. Not sure they need another kiddy coaster, but anything is fine at regional parks these days. Hopefully this is a set up year before something large possibly in 2027. My hope is that another kiddy coaster mens the removal of Kiddy Hawk. It sucks, and I saw quite a few parents walk through the station, and let their children ride alone due to the pain in neck/head banging.

thatcoasternerd

Roller Poster
Looks like a possible removal of Snoopy vs. Red Baron, as it’s not marked “To Remain” on the permit filing. And one of the proposed Splash Pad locations is where the current fountain centerpiece (circa 2018) sits.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Recent changes to Carowinds' park map have added "Please Pardon Our Dust" markers to the future sites of the water ride and Carolina's Racing Railway. The latter site is taking the place of the original train ride, which has been delisted for now and will be rebuilt using part of the Dino's Alive site next year;
GKkxVebW0AAxM8B.jpeg
Source