What's new

New Expansions and Additions at Walt Disney World

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
It seems crazy that beyond the Splash Mountain refurbs we don't really have any definite plans for the US Disney Parks. Disneyland 'might' get an expansion over the road, Animal Kingdom 'might' get a replacement for DInoland, Magic Kingdoms 'might' get a new area behind Big Thunder Mountain.

But no construction, no new hotels or rides, just feels like there's nothing to look forward to with US Disney.

Last edited:

Dan Nguyen

Mega Poster
Disney's problem is they take way too long to build anything. It took them years to finish the third parking deck for Springs and it took them years to finish all of their 2020 projects. They probably didn't have too much planned beyond Splash, Tron and Guardians but Uni's massive new resort has caused them to pay a bit more attention.

Disney has largely been reactionary since the first Wizarding World opened. I'm hoping Epic can finally kick Disney into high gear and force them to start putting more focus into their resorts.

cocoa

Mega Poster
didnt wdw get tron and star wars in the last few years? not so bad all up, especially considering RotR is one of the best rides of all time. Given that disney cant even seem to lower demand with crazy high ticket prices, I find it wishful thinking to imagine they feel under any pressure at all for major expansions. (other than luxury hotels and high $$$ services) . I wouldn't even be surprised if they project that more universal guests -> more disney guests.

to be honest, if I was disney and felt like doing something, I would probably be inclined to push for a new park instead of expanding existing ones---which already have enough content for a full day in most cases, at least for the average slightly-clueless and slightly-rich family.

Dan Nguyen

Mega Poster
Yes Epic Universe will bring plenty of people to Disney property. Disney's issue is that more people will definitely devote more time to Uni than stay in the Disney bubble like people have in the past.

Uni has spent the last decade essentially turning Uni into a weeklong destination like Disney has been. They've beefed up their hotel offerings, added a water park, added two blockbuster lands, added world class coasters, and its all cumulated to the newest theme park in the city since Islands. All these additions mean less people spending their weeklong vacations at Disney, which Disney pretty much relies on. It shows because they've dropped their hotel room prices, brought back free dining and added tons of promotions to stay on property. Uni is already a better value anyway. Their hotels tend to be cheaper and they pretty much give away the gate the more days you buy. Even the APs give you a few months free if you buy within a certain time frame.

cookie

Giga Poster
Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
didnt wdw get tron and star wars in the last few years? not so bad all up, especially considering RotR is one of the best rides of all time. Given that disney cant even seem to lower demand with crazy high ticket prices, I find it wishful thinking to imagine they feel under any pressure at all for major expansions. (other than luxury hotels and high $$$ services) . I wouldn't even be surprised if they project that more universal guests -> more disney guests.

to be honest, if I was disney and felt like doing something, I would probably be inclined to push for a new park instead of expanding existing ones---which already have enough content for a full day in most cases, at least for the average slightly-clueless and slightly-rich family.
Attendances have been falling fast since the end of the 50th celebrations last March... Last summer was their quietest summer in a decade according to articles.

I haven't seen anything recently to suggest that there's been a shift in this trend... Has anybody else?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Attendances have been falling fast since the end of the 50th celebrations last March... Last summer was their quietest summer in a decade according to articles.

I haven't seen anything recently to suggest that there's been a shift in this trend... Has anybody else?
My dad tells me it's because they've gone woke.

I tend to ignore most things my dad tells me these days though 😂

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster

Like it or not woke is definitely a factor that’s been lumped into this Disney anchor the last few years. Political posturing is inherently divisive in its nature and does nothing but invite negative perception from half of their potential audience. Same critique can be levelled at Mandy and Adventure Island for using their businesses to shill for the Tories. It’s also conspicuously a factor more rooted in the American markets rather than internationally.

But its def not solely responsible for dragging Disney’s attendance down. That honor goes to their recent management, ****ty film/TV output, worsened guest experience, and the absolutely insane acceleration in price gouging that’s gradually driving middle class families away.

Big huge investments will help WDW bounce back eventually but in the meantime its been clear that Disney is in a company wide crisis and spin doctoring away from factors such as “woke” isn’t doing any good. It’s contributing to a currently poor public image of Disney (referring to the general population, not the horde of Disney brand loyalists or frequent park goers), which ultimately right now is just as big a problem as the guest experience and price gouging.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Ahh yes, the old 'go woke, go broke' chestnut... Because 40 something white homophobic males are Disney's target demographic.

To be honest, if the parks are quiet because the 40 year old white homophobic males are staying away... Then that probably means Disney is finally worth the ticket prices!!!

That being said, businesses should remain apolitical. Keep their noses out of stuff. Nothing good ever came from businesses getting involved in politics.

Dan Nguyen

Mega Poster
Disney has had a hand in politics since the beginning. This is nothing new.

Disney has reached that point where they're pricing people out of a weeklong vacation. Why go to WDW and pay insane prices when you can basically go on a weeklong cruise or a trip around Europe for less? Couple that with a decline in service, constant maintenance issues and most families having to plan out every minute of their day in advance, it gets exhausting.