What's new

WTF Merlin?

Matt N

CF Legend
I think it might well have something to do with the shared lap bars, as Thorpe Park don’t appear to have altered the height restriction of Flying Fish, which has single lap bars.

Flying Fish is still listed as 0.9m accompanied and 1.1m unaccompanied on their website: https://www.thorpepark.com/explore/theme-park/rides/flying-fish/
IMG_1687.png
Unless Thorpe are simply slower at updating their website than Towers, that implies that Flying Fish is not seeing the same height restriction increase for 2024.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I think it might well have something to do with the shared lap bars, as Thorpe Park don’t appear to have altered the height restriction of Flying Fish, which has single lap bars.

Flying Fish is still listed as 0.9m accompanied and 1.1m unaccompanied on their website: https://www.thorpepark.com/explore/theme-park/rides/flying-fish/
View attachment 29001
Unless Thorpe are simply slower at updating their website than Towers, that implies that Flying Fish is not seeing the same height restriction increase for 2024.
Its also to do with train design, you'd struggle to stick a leg out on FF where as RMT is easy. As the kid that did it proved

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Probably a cost cutting thing. Spas are notoriously expensive to run and maintain. Things like these are closing left, right and centre at the moment. I absolutely love a spa and visit them regulalrly, but I didn't even know towers had one! It's just not something I'd wanna do there.

spicy

Giga Poster
I can't imagine it cost a huge amount to run, it was the old Alton Towers hotel swimming pool before Splash Landings opened in 2003, it was then converted it into the Spa. I assume it will now be turned into hotel rooms though which will probably generate more revenue than the Spa does.

Probably didn't help that on most days it closed the same time as the park, the same as the water park.

Absolutely crazy as they could be cashing in on all the hotel guests using the water park after park closing, however they only keep it open until late at the weekends.

Bowser

Mega Poster
Absolutely crazy as they could be cashing in on all the hotel guests using the water park after park closing, however they only keep it open until late at the weekends.

Don't hotel guests get free access? Or is that only Splash Landings hotel?

Either way i agree, always seems a shame you can't use it after the park has closed. Center Parcs keep their equivalents open till around 9pm all year.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Splash Landings hotel guests used to get free entry but not anymore they stopped that years ago. Have to pay full price like everyone else now.

Which makes the decision to close it at 5pm most days even more stupid, perfect chance to cash in on the ticket sales.

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
I've never been to the Splash Landings Pool because it's only open when the park is. It's what puts me off staying at AT really, that the park shuts early then there's nothing to do other than a tiny bar, some pub-level entertainment and a rubbish restaurant.
I really wish Merlin would lean more into the 'resort' side of their resorts - and take a look at what Europa Park, Phantasialand, Liseberg, PortAventura etc are doing. Even BPB at least has a nice hotel.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
I can't imagine it cost a huge amount to run, it was the old Alton Towers hotel swimming pool before Splash Landings opened in 2003, it was then converted it into the Spa. I assume it will now be turned into hotel rooms though which will probably generate more revenue than the Spa does.

Probably didn't help that on most days it closed the same time as the park, the same as the water park.

Spa areas cost an arm and a leg and then another arm and another leg to keep running. Spas in general started dropping like flies during the whole energy crisis last year.

Will

Strata Poster
Kabillion is not a word.

Also, I do not want to do an Oblivion lift climb. I've done Smiler's, I did not like it :D