What's new

Your worst spite

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
So I can probably retire this as worst spite (despite still not having been on Lightning Rod), and swap for:

Mission Ferrari - As some of you are aware, I had the chance to visit Abu Dhabi for work in January and hit up Ferrari World and Warner Bros. Abu Dhabi on the way out. Mission Ferrari had officially opened the day prior to my visit. Despite possible hopes, it was not meant to be for my visit, as the coaster was closed the entire day. Not much love loss on this, as the coaster wasn't announced to be opening until after I booked the travel, so wasn't original expecting a shot at riding - and still got to do all the other rides!
Well maybe we just strike this and go back to Lightning Rod, as I'll next get to actually ride the LSM launch. 😜

gengarhaunts87

Roller Poster
okay i think i have a spite, but if it's not please let me know so i can delete it. went to sea world orlando this past june on my southeast coaster trek. after i got my credit on the sesame street coaster i headed for ice breaker. i see zero wait time so i think oh wow it's about to open, and i can get my ride in now... well no. they told me it was testing, and they had zero clue when it'd open. so i began the long walk to pipeline.. seriously sea world needs to make some short cuts to certain coasters. i swear the walking i did there was the worst i've had to do from any park i've ever been to. so cut to later in the day after i lapped manta 2 times the weather started turning south, and looked like thunder / rain. so i high tail it all the way back around to ice breaker, and wouldn't you F****** know it just as i make it i hear the words oh sorry we just closed it on the count of a little rain and F****** THUNDER. i'll throw in a extra one. later that day i went out to funspot orlando to hopefully get credits for the kid coaster, freedom flyer, and white lightning. well get told i was to big for the kid coaster when i literally rode the kid coaster at fuspot Kissimmee early that morning no questions asked so i was quite annoyed. well it turned to pure anger when i hear freedom flyer is not open so i pay the cash for 1 ride on white lightning. i'd say it was fun, but i was mad over the other 2 coasters being unobtainable, and oh boy the staff on the ride were so miserable that they'd rather be anywhere else but there working. almost got spitted by the weather at universal waiting for hagrid's, but tuffed it out to get my 1 and only ride.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
okay i think i have a spite, but if it's not please let me know so i can delete it. went to sea world orlando this past june on my southeast coaster trek. after i got my credit on the sesame street coaster i headed for ice breaker. i see zero wait time so i think oh wow it's about to open, and i can get my ride in now... well no. they told me it was testing, and they had zero clue when it'd open. so i began the long walk to pipeline.. seriously sea world needs to make some short cuts to certain coasters. i swear the walking i did there was the worst i've had to do from any park i've ever been to. so cut to later in the day after i lapped manta 2 times the weather started turning south, and looked like thunder / rain. so i high tail it all the way back around to ice breaker, and wouldn't you F****** know it just as i make it i hear the words oh sorry we just closed it on the count of a little rain and F****** THUNDER. i'll throw in a extra one. later that day i went out to funspot orlando to hopefully get credits for the kid coaster, freedom flyer, and white lightning. well get told i was to big for the kid coaster when i literally rode the kid coaster at fuspot Kissimmee early that morning no questions asked so i was quite annoyed. well it turned to pure anger when i hear freedom flyer is not open so i pay the cash for 1 ride on white lightning. i'd say it was fun, but i was mad over the other 2 coasters being unobtainable, and oh boy the staff on the ride were so miserable that they'd rather be anywhere else but there working. almost got spitted by the weather at universal waiting for hagrid's, but tuffed it out to get my 1 and only ride.
Ice Breaker and the other two at Funspot do, indeed, count as spites. I'd be mad if I missed out on Ice Breaker!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I feel you on Thunder. Ironically, I was sitting on the second side of Thunder Road (Carowinds) when a lightning storm opened up, shutting everything down for the rest of the day. Alas, never got that second-side credit! :p

gengarhaunts87

Roller Poster
well when i do decide to go back i can get my credit for mako since i chickened out, and the new coaster they're building. hopefully then ice wont be a double spite.

gengarhaunts87

Roller Poster
Ohhh.....That is far worse of a spite than anything you listed lol
funny thing is the day before i was at bush tampa, and rode sheikra as my # 100 coaster, and then lapped it 9 more times after that. so you'd think oh i can do mako, and yet my fear height said nah. i swear if i could just do a giga or 1 of the two strata coasters i'd have nothing to fear anymore, but that's wishful thinking. all a mind game i need to conquer in the end.

JackFish

Mega Poster
funny thing is the day before i was at bush tampa, and rode sheikra as my # 100 coaster, and then lapped it 9 more times after that. so you'd think oh i can do mako, and yet my fear height said nah. i swear if i could just do a giga or 1 of the two strata coasters i'd have nothing to fear anymore, but that's wishful thinking. all a mind game i need to conquer in the end.
You made Sheikra your 100th instead of Iron Gwazi?!?

CoasterGoji_501

Roller Poster
heres another (sort of) spite i have had, Knotts Scary Farm 2022 (the day i went)

for context me and a friends family have been going to Knotts scary farm once a year sense 2019
the day we went, it was just a bad day for everyone (including knotts themselfs).

heres why it was bad for everyone
  • it was rain lightning storm night, so almost every 30-45 minutes the rides would close down for AT LEAST the same amount of time.
  • knotts was absolutly SLAMMED that night. EVERY possible opened attraction that night had AT LEAST a 1:30 wait. (Dont even get me started on 4 HOUR WAIT on GhostRider, yes i skipped GhostRIder)
  • The park was also understaffed to amount for the crowd, so some consession stands (that where VERY slamed with guests) where ran by just ONE staff memeber.
  • some of the staff/scare actors (not all, just 3 i counted) where kinda rude that day and specifically to the mentally disable son friend (who is also M-disabled) of the other family,it wasnt enough for punishment but enough to get some of the scare actors to set up a no-boo gaurd. still there was WAY more staff being nice that night. (the mental disabled son was not scared by the actors, the other one was scared Sh!tless)
  • the 2 family i went with had all there phones go hay wire for some reason (other than the rain). so to family where trying to find each other on 2 oppsite ends of the park
  • lastly the other familys (non-disbaled) sister got some sort of bug causing all of us to leave earier.
personally thats one only tough day i have had at knotts. (period). every other time i have gone to knotts (scary farm and not), its actually been rather plesent. i dont really blame one person that day. its not like knotts or the cedar fair cain can control the weather, they also cant 100% control how 4 memebers of a staff of probobally over 200 behave aswell. although i do think we should have been a little more aware of who we brought (IE my MD also MD friend,im not an ableist).

gengarhaunts87

Roller Poster
heres another (sort of) spite i have had, Knotts Scary Farm 2022 (the day i went)

for context me and a friends family have been going to Knotts scary farm once a year sense 2019
the day we went, it was just a bad day for everyone (including knotts themselfs).

heres why it was bad for everyone
  • it was rain lightning storm night, so almost every 30-45 minutes the rides would close down for AT LEAST the same amount of time.
  • knotts was absolutly SLAMMED that night. EVERY possible opened attraction that night had AT LEAST a 1:30 wait. (Dont even get me started on 4 HOUR WAIT on GhostRider, yes i skipped GhostRIder)
  • The park was also understaffed to amount for the crowd, so some consession stands (that where VERY slamed with guests) where ran by just ONE staff memeber.
  • some of the staff/scare actors (not all, just 3 i counted) where kinda rude that day and specifically to the mentally disable son friend (who is also M-disabled) of the other family,it wasnt enough for punishment but enough to get some of the scare actors to set up a no-boo gaurd. still there was WAY more staff being nice that night. (the mental disabled son was not scared by the actors, the other one was scared Sh!tless)
  • the 2 family i went with had all there phones go hay wire for some reason (other than the rain). so to family where trying to find each other on 2 oppsite ends of the park
  • lastly the other familys (non-disbaled) sister got some sort of bug causing all of us to leave earier.
personally thats one only tough day i have had at knotts. (period). every other time i have gone to knotts (scary farm and not), its actually been rather plesent. i dont really blame one person that day. its not like knotts or the cedar fair cain can control the weather, they also cant 100% control how 4 memebers of a staff of probobally over 200 behave aswell. although i do think we should have been a little more aware of who we brought (IE my MD also MD friend,im not an ableist).
that blows big time. i know a lot of places have been understaffed, but to be that low on staff with that massive crowd is insane. i'm shocked they didnt just close the park down for the night. as for the scare actors i feel some take their jobs to seriously, and refuse to break character or try to be nice.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
Höllenblitz was supposed to be at Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland last year, and I was in town for opening weekend so I made sure I'd stop there to try it, I was super hyped because of all the things I had heard of it. Bought tickets, decided to try a few more coasters while I was there, and all that stuff. Then a few weeks before the trip I got the mail that the coaster would not be there, and my ticket for the coaster would be refunded. But hey, at least I got to ride Olympia Looping, so it's not all negative.

Also, while it is not my own spite, this past weekend I went with friends to PortAventura. One of the guys hadn't been in the park for like 20 years, so he had not tried Shambhala and Furius Baco— Shambhala was closed and Furius' queues were never under 2 hours, so we decided to prioritize so that he'd have the best time. We could see he was crushed though, so we will try to go back to the park sometime soon.

Flash Shift

Mega Poster
Just had another really bad spite. I was in Yorkshire this weekend, so I was hoping to do Flamingoland. However, Friday was the day I had booked for. Storms and winds closed basically the entire park, so I lost an entire park!

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I'll just compile a list of all my non-kiddie spites and update when something changes.

-Super Booster (Brighton Pier; disassembled without prior notice)
-Rampage (Big Sheep; rain)
-Rockin Roller (Botton's Pleasure Beach; all cars were covered up)
-Sky Tower (Tivoli Friheden; no reason given)
-Dreamcatcher (Bobbejaanland; scaffolding in station & train with open restraints at the bottom of the lift)

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Just had another really bad spite. I was in Yorkshire this weekend, so I was hoping to do Flamingoland. However, Friday was the day I had booked for. Storms and winds closed basically the entire park, so I lost an entire park!
You weren't missing much. :D

cookie

Giga Poster
Spites:
  • WDW's Big Thunder Mountain in 2003. I didn't know what "refurbishment" meant at the time, so 8-year-old me was pretty devastated finding the sign outside saying it would be closed. Got the credit six years later, though
  • Heide-Park's Limit in 2016. Hadn't completed its winter maintenance yet, even though it was half a month into the season. Got the credit in 2022
  • WDW's Space Mountain in 2009. Had gotten one side in 2003, but was hoping to get both sides that year. Oh well, at least I got to make up for the Big Thunder loss
  • Rock n' Rollercoaster/Avengers Assemble in 2021. I had been to Disney Studios Paris in 2005, but I was too afraid of inversions at the time. In 2021, it was closed for the Marvel re-theme. Striving to get the credit this coming May, since it's the last of the RnR iterations I need to do.
  • Junior Red Force in 2022. Still baffles me how it just sat closed. Hoping to correct that in June
  • Ba-a-a Express, EuroSat CanCan Coaster, and Voltron Nevera in 2016, 2018, and 2023 respectively. Technically not spites since none of them were finished by the time of each visit, but every visit I make to Europa Park always has me staring at a near-completed coaster I can't ride
  • Spinball Whizzer, Scorpion Express, and Colossus in 2023
Near-Spites:
  • The Cylon side of Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore in 2011. We had just done the Human side when a thunderstorm rolled in, meaning all outdoor rides closed. My parents wanted to leave, but my little brother and I really wanted to ride Cylon, so my parents decided to give us some cash so just the two of us could stay in the park and then take a cab back to the hotel when we were done. I remember the park emptied out during the storm meaning we could lap Revenge of the Mummy while waiting for Cylon to reopen, which it did about half an hour after my parents had left. It was worth staying since Cylon was awesome, even if I only rode it once. Bit of a rare credit too since it was when it still had the 4-across trains. Still got spited by Transformers and the Jurassic Park river rapids, though.
  • The blue side of Dawson Duel in 2022. Kept testing constantly, but for most of my day at Bellewaerde only the green side was open, leading to an agonizing wait for it. About an hour before I was set to leave, they threw the blue side open.
  • Rattlesnake at Chessington in 2023. Refused to open until about 2 P.M., and when it finally did, it was apparently set to "safe mode" and could only run one car, leading to horrendous waits. I got on it thanks to Reserve and Ride, but I had to wait through one more breakdown to do it.
  • Winjas Fear in November 2023. Apparently threw a fit just a few days before my visit to Phantasialand, so I didn't expect to ride it during my two days there. Second day, however, it miraculously re-opened around 2 P.M.

Last edited:

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I'll just compile a list of all my non-kiddie spites and update when something changes.

-Super Booster (Brighton Pier; disassembled without prior notice)
-Rampage (Big Sheep; rain)
-Rockin Roller (Botton's Pleasure Beach; all cars were covered up)
-Sky Tower (Tivoli Friheden; no reason given)
-Dreamcatcher (Bobbejaanland; scaffolding in station & train with open restraints at the bottom of the lift)
I made this post early a day before the end of my Belgium trip with a little too much confidence, as the day after making & posting this list, Vicky the Ride at Plopsa Coo failed to open on my visit after multiple test runs. I'd argue that this is my new worst coaster spite as Dreamcatcher apparently sucks, and I'm still yet to ride a Gerstlauer spinner.

cookie

Giga Poster
I made this post early a day before the end of my Belgium trip with a little too much confidence, as the day after making & posting this list, Vicky the Ride at Plopsa Coo failed to open on my visit after multiple test runs. I'd argue that this is my new worst coaster spite as Dreamcatcher apparently sucks, and I'm still yet to ride a Gerstlauer spinner.
Dreamcatcher isn't that bad, it's just kinda eh. Most of it meanders around and by the time it picks up any real speed, it's over. It's a unique credit (outside of Asia), but it's also nothing to write home about.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Dreamcatcher, one ride was more than enough. Vicky the Ride is a bit better, but nothing particularly interesting to write home about. Halvar (or Smurf something as it is known as now) is the better coaster of the two, but it still sucks to not get both of them after making the effort to go all the way to Coo.

I missed out on their bobsled, since there was the slightest of drizzles going on for most of the day and it was never dry enough for it to open. And Halvar opened just late enough that I ended up missing the train that could get me to Hasselt and grab the indoor Plopsa there. Spiteful place, that Coo.