What's new

Your first Drop Tower experience

Auraofshadows

Roller Poster
My first (and only) experience was Detonator at Thorpe Park. I didn't want to go on a drop tower but I was convinced to go on it. I felt more comfortable because there is a countdown that plays, so I knew when I would drop. The only problem was that you cannot hear the countdown from that heigh up, so when I reached the top, I was utterly terrified. It was one of my first thrill experiences though.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I think my first one was the Star Blaster at Canobie Lake Park. I remember it always seemed so tall but now that I've been to bigger parks with much taller drop towers, this one seems tiny.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Not proud it probably wasn't one of the S&S power towers or the Intamin drop towers, but one of the A.R.M. Super Shots, the puny little carnival drop of ~60ft. It was either that or Cedar Point's Power Tower, can't remember which one I rode first since both were ridden about 10 years ago.

CoasterGoddess

Roller Poster
Supreme Scream at Knotts Berry Farms was my first drop ride. I waited until after riding all the coasters before I got up the courage to ride. It's listed as 300 ft and after you fall you bungee part of the way up a few times. I was scared about a third of the way up. I feel safe in coasters but drop ride make me feel vulnerable. The first couple seconds usually kills my stomach, but once I'm flying back up and falling again my stomach adjusts and the rest of the ride is very fun. Kings Island was the tallest before they opened Lex Luther's Drop of Doom (400ft) at SFMM. I like how it spins to see the whole park, but it doesn't have the bungee. Kings Dominion's is the same, but about 15 ft shorter. I rode both and are fun, but I like the bungee.

* I won't ride the Stratosphere's Big Shot. The magnets shoots you up and down so fast your stomach is in constant knots the whole ride and it never slows much before you go back up or back down and all you see is a blur. I was hoping to see a great view from up there and a fun ride and I got neither. I wish they put in a lift drop ride that bungees back up instead of the launch type. The X-Scream roller coaster on top of Stratosphere was fun and there I got my view and enough thrill. The spinning ride up there was closed that day.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Shamefully for me it took me Thirteen to realise that perhaps drop towers were for me so my first was either Nemesis Sub Terra (if you even count the ABC's as Drop Towers) which I was disappointed by how awful the actual drop was, or shamefully only a two weeks back Detonator at Thorpe, which was absolutely fantastic! Such a forceful ride that packs a punch into a short drop space. I was petrified whilst queuing but since I warmed up with stealth I was relatively calm going up, it was only once I realised the speakers at the top weren't working that I freaked out. Thankfully I loved every second of it, I still think the second you disconnect from the hoist is one of the best feelings on any ride. Infact I loved Detonator so much I just had to book tickets to Drayton to try out Apocalypse, which I rode yesterday, and absolutely loved it!

jolash

Mega Poster
First drop tower was Power Tower at Cedar Point. My first time ever there, my first time ever at an amusement park. To this day I'm still afraid of heights and drop towers don't help, so imagine little 10 yr old me doing this for the first time.

BBH

Giga Poster
My first this year was Giant Drop at Six Flags Great America, and it was phenomenal.