What's new

Your favourite coaster track

Sandman

Giga Poster
Does anyone else have a fondness for a particular manufacturers track design?

Seeing a new B&M always makes me a bit excited, regardless of whether it's highly rated or not.

I still remember the first time I encountered Oblivion in the flesh, which was the first B&M coaster I'd laid eyed on in person. The sheer size and scale of the track was very impressive to me at the time. I'd never seen anything quite on that level.

I got that same feeling upon seeing Shambhala for the first time. B&M track is just great to look at in my opinion, especially with the bigger coasters.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Has to be B&M!
However, I'd say that the new-gen Vekoma track style is now up there with my favourites too (especially F.L.Y)
Something about it just looks so....gooood :cool:

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I'm not nerd enough to have ever had a certain affinity for track.

However allow me to share the most... distinct style of track I've ever had the fortune/misfortune of encountering. Yes this was brand new at the time;
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 11.16.19 AM.png
g42uj4o1aui71.png

Roller coaster design is an art, usually. After this you tend to appreciate more what other manufacturers can accomplish :cool:

English Coaster Guy

Roller Poster
B&M has that satisfying overweight cuddliness to it. Chonky. Like a really fat dog. I'm not sure it's as aesthetically pleasing as Intamin or next gen Vekoma, but when I see it, it brings a sense of comfort, almost calm. You know it will look after you and be happy to see you when you get back.

In addition, it kind of has a bit of a Duplo concept, sure, it's not as intricate and sexy as Lego, but it does the same job and it just looks reliable, uncomplicated.

RollerGhost

Roller Poster
For steel coasters i think the track design that has the guide wheels on the outside of the rail ( B and M and Intimin ) ride better with a much smoother ride. For wood it was hard to beat the Church and Prior flanged wheel design. Gravity Group does a great job with wooden track as does GCI

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
For steel coasters i think the track design that has the guide wheels on the outside of the rail ( B and M and Intimin ) ride better with a much smoother ride.
The whole “track designs with wheels on the outside are smoother” thing has been long disproved, ever since RMC started making glass smooth steel coasters with the wheels on the inside of the rails. The trope of rough coasters with wheels on the inside comes from old Arrows and Vekomas, whose tracking problems come from issues completely separate from how the wheels are situated.

Thrillseeker2024

Roller Poster
Bro b&m

And carrying this debate on, favourite roller coaster train
For me it has to be velocicoaster

Actually maybe raptor at gardaland, yes I love b&m wing coaster designs

Last edited by a moderator:

Esther7

Roller Poster
Intamin tri-rail. And it isn't even close.
This! I love the look of Intamin's tracks, especially the triangle-shaped one. 😍

Although I have to admit that the B&M tracks are also beautiful. I've seen the PortAventura skyline too much, and I still enjoy every time I see it, especially when the Shambhala and Dragon Khan trains cross each other.

Leon_K

Mega Poster
So far nothing beats B&M's track and the sound it produces, it has this great intimidating vibe. I also like the track styles of Intamin (both old and new) and new generation Vekoma.

Thrillseeker2024

Roller Poster
So far nothing beats B&M's track and the sound it produces, it has this great intimidating vibe. I also like the track styles of Intamin (both old and new) and new generation Vekoma.
Yes nothing can beat the b&m Roar

Especially on older inverts like nemsis and montu

Last edited by a moderator:

Strathven

Roller Poster
I have to say B&M as well! The box-beam design looks great painted, and I like the triangular shadows on the really twisted sections.