What's new

Yokohama Cosmoworld Photo Trip Report (sort of)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
This wasn’t supposed to be a park trip at all, but I managed to kind of turn it into one. I think this was my second weekend in Tokyo, so that would make it sometime in early May.

Basically, one of my friends, a girl I used to work with in Korea, but who has been living in Tokyo for years, wanted to set me up with one of her friends. I’ve only done the blind date thing once before, which was **** ing awful. When I met the guy I wished I actually was blind. **** knows what my friend at that time was thinking.

Anyway, I thought I’d give it a go again, so my friend called her friend, blah blah blah, and he called me and asked if I wanted to meet and hang out in Yokohama for the afternoon.

So, after some initial confusion trying to find each other at Yokohama station, I met the guy, decided not to use my emergency get out (setting the alarm on my phone and pretending it’s a work phone call emergency), and we took a walk to the water front.

DSC09814.jpg

The walk from the station brought us out right here:

DSC09816.jpg

Which I recognised from my previous trip to Yokohama a few years ago. Anyway, I pretended I had never been here before (makes for a more interesting date), and, at my suggestion, we rounded the corner and accidentallystumbled upon this:

DSC09817.jpg

Cosmo World! I feigned surprise and suggested just taking a quick look around. The park is split into 2 areas, and we approached it from the opposite side of the ferris wheel and major coasters. There was a crappo disc-o.

DSC09838.jpg

Plus, a new coaster since my last visit.

DSC09832.jpg

Yuki, the guy, jokingly suggested that we should ride it. Oh, how I laughed at the obviously ridiculous suggestion that grown men should ever ride a children’s roller coaster, and suggested we pop into the (very) nearby Starbucks for coffee and conversation. Just outside the Starbucks, on the ground floor of some shopping center, was this statue thing.

DSC09829.jpg

So, midway through the coffee (dark cherry frappuccino) I had to “go to the toilet,” which was inside the shopping mall somewhere. Twenty seconds later, I was here:

DSC09833.jpg

Walk-on, luckily, but a bit of a rip off at 300yen (£1.75ish) for one circuit. It was crap, obviously.

Quickly back to coffee and Yuki, apologising for getting lost trying to find the toilets. Then we walked over the bridge to the other area of Cosmoworld, looking back at Family Banana Coaster.

DSC09842.jpg

This is the area we had just left, at the base of Japan’s tallest building.

DSC09846.jpg

Across the water to this:

DSC09850.jpg

Diving Coaster: Vanish. Since I’d never been here before (cough), I suggested riding it. Last time I thought it was pretty decent, but, after a second go, I’ve decided it’s a bit crap really. I don’t know. The drop into the tunnel is pretty good, and the helix is forceful, but it’s very meh overall.

The water splash effect is still great though.

DSC09851.jpg

Yes, yes, Manta has a better water effect. All hail Manta. Whatever.

The guy in question, with a serious case of man tan.

DSC09855.jpg

Didn’t bother with the crappy spinning mouse this time.

DSC09862.jpg

Or the walk through/ghost train stuff.

DSC09871.jpg

I’d like to actually come back here sometime and try everything out. The both times I’ve been here now, it’s been with other people and more for a “look around” than an actual park visit.

We did have a go on the log flume though, which is brilliant. This drop is fantastic.

DSC09867.jpg

Signature shot:

DSC09858.jpg

So, we left the park and took a walk along the water front. La Machine is here now. There was a topic about it on CF a while back. It’s a huge mechanical spider that started off in Liverpool, but is in Yokohama now. It was in a fenced off area though, between shows, and I couldn’t get any decent pictures of it.

We ended up at the pier and just hung out here with a few beers, enjoying the view as the sunset. Awwwww.

DSC09901.jpg

The whole area looks gorgeous at night.

DSC09932.jpg

The light show on the ferris wheel is amazing too, and is timed perfectly with the clock in the middle.

DSC09937.jpg

DSC09967.jpg

Then, took a walk into China Town for dinner.

DSC09978.jpg

DSC09995.jpg

Had a look at this temple kind of thing.

DSC09993.jpg

Then headed back into Tokyo for drinks and…

Thanks for reading!

peep

CF Legend
Haha, wicked trip report Gavin. That ferris wheel light show looks wicked. The China town looks brilliant at night too, that temple type building is really nice.

Emmett

Giga Poster
:lol: , nice report Gavin. Brilliant way of getting the coaster done. So I'm guessing talking about coasters isn't a good idea on a first date.

I love the fact that in a mjor city you can just turn a corner and spot a theme park inbetween the buildings.