What's new

Will Star Wars 7 be the highest grossing film of all time?

Do you think Star Wars 7 be the highest grossing film of all time?

• Yes definitely! Its such a huge and beloved franchise

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Maybe. It will make a lot but might not beat Avatar

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I doubt it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
One of, if not THE most well known film franchise in the the world, particularly in the US, and I don't believe that's an exaggeration

Jurassic World capitalized on bringing back a beloved franchise from the past making a huge $1.66 billion. That film had a fair amount of hype but there is considerably more for Star Wars.

Will it beat Avatar and Titanic at the box office? Unsurprisingly its extremely hard to get tickets online due to huge demand which is a sign that it already has a good shot. If it doesn't beat those two it will smash the $2 billion mark for sure. I will eat my shoes if it doesn't make $2 billion, its as certain as the sun rising tomorrow imo.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Will Star Wars 7 be the highest grossing film of all tim

I think that in the cinema, probably not. It's the wrong time of year for a film to gross so massively and no matter how many people love Star Wars, there will be those who immediately roll their eyes about it.

Unlike Avatar which was a new franchise and enticed a huge number of people into the cinema who wouldn't have normally gone to see "sci-fi".

Long term, it will just continue to roll the cash in though. I'll bet that home sales of the DVd/Blu-Ray will match pretty much those who went to see it at the cinema (in terms of household). It will then continue to sell by the bucket load for every new film that is released.

I'm excited, but not under any delusions :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster

It will gross the most, opening weekend we shall see. I expect it will still be in most theaters until Batman Superman trainwreck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

witchfinder

Giga Poster

There's talk of it having a $1billion opening weekend, so surely based on that it should breeze past the $2billion mark overall... Unless it's a dud of Episode II proportions of course, but I can't see that as Disney seem to know what they're doing with the franchise.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Not possible for $1 billion opening weekend. I'm thinking the heads at Disney see 2B as a necessity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

nealbie

CF Legend

I disagree with furie about it being the wrong time of the year (all six Middle Earth films came out for Christmas and consistently made around $1billion).

Would not be surprised in the slightest. Pre-book all over the world appears to have gone mental. So if it's half decent then by word of mouth, those who couldn't get tickets will go in the days after. Billion Dollar weekend probably won't happen as it's releasing on a Thursday (Friday in US) and most will go day one if they can.

But Jurassic World made a **** tonne without nearly as much fanfare, so I imagine our good friend Mr Inflation will see to a $3billion+ box office.