What's new

Wicked Cyclone Goonery

Hutch

Strata Poster
So this past Monday I got the time to return to Six Flags New England and finally try out my first RMC, Wicked Cyclone. I had always wanted the old Cyclone to get RMC’d (it had to happen sooner or later). It was one of the roughest coasters I had ridden, if not the roughest. It was in terrible shape and the entire thing looked like it would fall apart every time a train went through. So you could imagine my excitement when they finally announced that there would be an RMC just 2 hours away from my home.

With it being August 31st, the summer season was winding down and it was one of the last times it was open on a weekday. And with peeps returning to school and whatnot it wasn’t all that crowded.

We arrived at the park at around noon, we weren’t in any rush to get there early, or do most of the rides here. It was mainly a day revolved around Wicked Cyclone, along with some other stuff. It turns out that our tickets basically work out as season passes for the park until the end of September, which is cool I guess. I never really bother with them since I don’t visit as often.

Anyway, Wicked Cyclone was obviously top priority, so we didn’t hesitate and went there first. And it looks beautiful.

The line was probably no more than ten minutes, and it got shorter as the day went on. It did feel a little slow at times because of the **** operations and other delays like some people taking the walk of shame when they should’ve tried the test out front to begin with. It did feel like it was one train operations at some point. It could’ve been a lot worse though; everything was either ten minutes or less.

They only allow one train’s worth of riders in the station (which is understandable since the station is tiny). They say “go to the next open row,” which is technically the back row so naturally I entered that. I felt pretty happy for a second because it seemed like they let us pick our rows, but then they say we have to move all the way down, so we ended up somewhere in the middle. Pretty annoying. And obviously the ops weren’t really clear because other people would try to do the same thing and it just delays the line. There’s no harm in letting us chose our lines.

Enough of my rant, time for the ride. Despite being in the middle, it was still very good with nice pops of airtime on every hill, hangtime in the inversions, and it’s very fun throughout. It’s incredibly smooth too.

One thing I feel I have to do with my more anticipated coasters is ride them more and more and I gradually like theme more and more. This was no exception for Wicked Cyclone, and I made sure to get plenty of rides during the day.

I did one quick reride before we did some other stuff. We would’ve been in second to last row, but luckily there was a family group or something behind us, so the ops actually let us ride back row. :D As expected, it’s a lot better in the back with even more airtime. So much fun to fling your arms up over those hills.

We were going to try out New England Skyscreamer, but it had broken down right as we got in line, but we were able to come back to it later. I was amused how they said “we encourage you to stay in line.”

I wanted to get some rides in on Bizarro, so we worked our way over there, grabbing some lunch on the way.

Bizarro has probably benefited from Wicked Cyclone, because now that the park has more than one good ride, not everyone is queuing for Bizarro anymore (at least that’s how I think it would be on a normal day). But yeah, Bizzaro was more or less a walk on, depending on where you sit. I’ve never really seen it like that. We did two quick rides, and it was either having a bad day or it’s starting to age, because it’s not quite as good as it used to be. It was a little rattly, especially toward the back (which is disappointing, because that was my favorite seat). And the tacky speakers on the ride are starting to get annoying, and they’re kinda loud too, blasting in your ears.

It moved down a couple spots in my Top Ten, but it’s still in my Top Ten and still a great ride. Just a bit shaky and the speakers (which I guess didn’t really bother me previously) are kind of ruining it. But after the second ride I realized that Wicked Cyclone is now the best ride in the park.

We also lucked out pretty well because we waited a little bit on the brake run during our second ride. I guess they were having problems or something because they sent an empty train up through the lift hill. They let us off and it didn’t open again till later in the day. Wasn’t annoyed by that because I didn’t plan on any more rides after that anyway.

One ride I wanted to do was Batman, which we headed over to next. But on the way it looked like someone didn’t make it to the toilet because we passed this huge piece of **** right here. ;)

So onto Batman. It had been a few years since I had ridden this, I wasn’t too impressed on my last ride (thought it was dull).

So we walked right onto the front row and had our quick ride. And it’s better than I remember. Not as good as Kraken or GAd Bizarro, but it’s a fun, quick little ride. It’s probably the only decent supporting ride in the park, so worth it’s worth a ride when you’re here.

We easily could’ve gotten another ride in, but at that point I just wanted to ride more Wicked Cyclone. But on our way I wanted do Goliath to see what the new trains were like.

OMFG!! It was vile! It’s rough as hell and beat the **** out of me! Everytime there were some positive g’s I felt like I was getting punched in the stomach. And I actually used to think it was decent with the old trains. How can a ride go from being good to being a PoS??

I can understand why they would want new trains to improve the capacity, but the new trains are so bad that nobody seems to ride it anymore anyway. Not only to the trains look bad, but the design is awful. The OTSRs are right next to the sides of your head, the handles in front don’t help you from bracing yourself, and the restraint feels pretty tight too. Now I know never to ride this again. Even normal Boomerangs are better than this now. If you’ve visiting here but have already gotten the cred with the old trains or when it was Déjà Vu, don’t even bother with this ****.

After that **** ride my next ride on Wicked Cyclone felt like the smoothest ride in the world, noticeable smoother than my earlier rides. Beautiful.

At one point we also did Sky Screamer, as it was open again. While waiting in line a ride op came down to push everyone back so we could stand on the numbers on the ground, assigning us our seats. Nobody had any idea those were there, and the ride ops failed to inform us about it, and it ultimately didn’t matter anyway because peeps would just choose random seats anyway.

So the ride is pretty cool. I rode Windseeker at CP a few years back and thought that was pretty cool while still being a little nervous. But with this one being taller, the seats swaying around more, and it being windy at the top made this ride a little frightening, but in a fun way. The view isn’t as good as CP’s but it’s so high up and the wind makes it so the seats kind of move around and turn backwards a little bit! Good ride, better than the Windseekers. Six Flags should keep at it with plopping these things down.

I kept whoring more Wicked Cyclone after that. The line kept getting shorter and shorter until it was a walk on so I was able to squeeze in even more rides before leaving. At one point I also chat and rode with a fellow goon during his first ride on it. So that was cool. He seems to love RMC because he said he really liked New Texas Giant and had been wanting to get over to Twisted Colossus. He even said he chose to go here instead of Hersheypark (which is basically committing a crime. I don’t know why anyone would choose SFNE over Hershey :p), presumably just for Wicked Cyclone.

I was able to get a total of 8 rides in. Unfortunately they still wouldn’t let me choose seats, but I was to get some toward the front and back to get a good opinion. The 200 degree stall, one of my favorite moments of the ride, is better in the front because your entering it a little faster. But the airtime isn’t quite as good as the back (but still pretty good). Back row is definitely better.

The first drop is pretty good with some good airtime, and the overbank turn is also pretty fun, especially in the back, because it whips you around. The little artime hill after that is probably the best one of them all. The stall was a great little WTF inversion that you can’t really find anywhere else. The barrels rolls (which look pretty cool with one on top of the other) are slow enough to have some great hangtime. The outside banked airtime hills are a lot of fun and a nice surprise. Even some of the regular old turns are fun too. Yes, it does slow down a little bit towards the end, but I applaud it for using the complete layout and momentum and filling it with elements instead of cutting out a big portion of the ride. The seats and restraints a nice and comfortable; I didn’t have a problem with the shin bars but I can’t help but wonder if they were really necessary.

I think coming in I kind of thought it would be a little more intense, maybe more snappy, but I guess not. It’s just tons of fun and I kept laughing throughout, and probably the smoothest ride I have ever ridden. It’s great to see RMC evolve their rides and introducing new tricks. 9.5/10 Now I really need to try out Outlaw Run and Steel Medusa, which seem to have perfected the pace (as if I didn’t need to ride it enough :p)

And now that Wicked Cyclone is here, I’d actually be willing to return to SFNE! :lol:

And with that, my 2015 season is done. Thanks for reading my little trip report and review of Wicked Cyclone. :)

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
The new Goliath trains are **** awful, right? When I rode it, my restraints weren't that tight so I was rattling all over my seat. Guess you can say, this ride punched the **** out of me. :lol: Great report, Sanchez!