What's new

Why doesn't anyone go to Futroscope?

Gazza

Giga Poster
https://en.futuroscope.com/
https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...6676320a3d792873!8m2!3d46.6698573!4d0.3697581
So this is something that has puzzled me for a while, but you basically never see trip reports from Futroscope, and it never seems to come up in discussions or anyone's radar?

But why though? The place looks really good, basically a European version of EPCOT, and it just seems strange that its not more popular.

Is it because no creds apart from the Butterfly? Dislike of simulators? Nothing else nearby? A feeling of not being able to appreciate it unless you speak French?

photo-634960008556178657-1.jpg

565ef6afd3e7b-futuroscope-geant14num-071-1280x960.jpg

ravingrabbids.jpg

When I eventually get to France i'll definitely try to go anyhow.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I'd be intrested to read your Trip Report!

I have to say that I am prejudiced against Futuroscope. Visited when I was the child, and my impression felt it was some kind of boring educational stuff place. The lack of any major credit certainly plays a part. I think I made the wrong assumption that it has the same bland atmosphere than the numerous bankrupt parks in France during the 80s and early 90s, so didn't care to look at its updates. I think its location around Poitiers (south-west-ish France) doesn't help either, even if France's public transportation is very efficient (when it isn't on strike). There's also no real park combo to take advantage of - I mean Walibi Aquitaine isn't the most appealing proposition - whereas Epcot has all those fancy Florida parks.

Your question does make me wonder though if I should reevaluate Futuroscope.

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
I've been twice but I'm overdue another visit. There have been rumours they're adding a cred in the next 5 years but I'm not sure I trust the.

I think it's a fab place, the architecture amazes me. Unfortunately it's gone now but one of my fav things was a cinema with an imax screen up front and then a second one below a glass floor, it was ridiculous.

They've been adding loads of new things over the years but it tends to just replace things, which is a shame. I'd love to see them add another really iconic building that looks like it's out of Star Trek or something.

If you like futuristic things and cinema I highly recommend.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Because it doesn't have any creds!

I have actually been, years ago at school. My physics class was supposed to be going to see the CERN generator but they had to temporarily shut it down (can't remember why now), so we went to Futurescope instead. It was alright. Lots of 3D cinemas if you like that sort of thing. If I remember rightly, they also had a big fountain/light projection show thing that pre-dated the Disney stuff (but I can't really remember so might be talking bollocks).

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've always wanted to go, but for me it's in a bit of a weird place with not much of interest around to tie into a trip with it.

And yh, lack of creds doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidm

Strata Poster
Once spent 2 weeks on holiday in France (rustic cottage job nr La Rochelle, lots of wine and food) ; about 1.5 hours away from the place.
Didn't go since no creds (was before they even had the butterfly).

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm really interested in visiting one day - as well a Puy du foy - which is another show-based theme park with no creds which isn't a million miles away!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Puy du Foy looks epic. I need that in my life. But it's also in a bit of an inconvenient location to tap it on to a coaster trip.

balrog

Mega Poster
Puy du fou is ran by some far right ***holes which use the money income to finance anti-abortion associations.
Futuroscope looks like a very outdated version of a boring education stuff place - but I hope I am wrong.

This feels like the worst park combo in the world

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Puy du fou is ran by some far right ***holes which use the money income to finance anti-abortion associations.
Futuroscope looks like a very outdated version of a boring education stuff place - but I hope I am wrong.

This feels like the worst park combo in the world

Well thats subjective to be honest - I for one like educational stuff, and I don't care if they have zero crews - its about the experience for me!

As for Puy du Foy, its a shame about ownership - BUT I'm still very open minded about going. Its not the Parc's fault. Remember Walt disney was pretty racist when he was alive (but then most white Americans where in the 1950's).

Its a similar moral dilemma as Seaworld - I don't believe in performing Orcas/Dolphins BUT I still want to go - for the rides and other exhibits.... yeah thats Hypocritical and i admit that....- its a dilemma!

And I ask you ......I bet if there was a theme park with some of the best coasters in the world - and you found out the owners had right wing politics - you'd still want too go!..... and theres nothing wrong with that - its the human condition, I'm just saying!

also heres a right up from the Guardian (left wing) which paints the park in a positive light - whilst Acknowledging its right-wing creation/background - basically yes it was CREATED/promoted by someone with right-wing views - but thats no reflection on the park itself really/.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/may/06/puy-du-fou-theme-park-vendee-france

Last edited:

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Rather not hand my cold snowflake cash over if that's true. Any links for further reading?

Remember Walt Disney was pretty right wing! its not excusing it. Id rather complain and protest to the owners than boycott an experience I want to do.
i don't want my theme-parking to become political!

balrog

Mega Poster
Well .. I am kind of a serious leftist/antifascist activist, and a scientist, so that could explain my radical subjectivity (nod to however gets the reference). But frankly, I cannot ever see myself go to Puy du Fou for any other reason than burning it down to the ground and throwing a giant party on the smoking ashes. Plus, one could argue that the social context is really different than for Disney (let's face it, humanity have had some serious issues to deal with and just started to do so quite lately). There is no excuse, nor good justification for the ideology promoted by the people down at Puy du Fou, and I will not knowingly give money to whom I consider as political enemies (and I don't think I am the only one thinking this).

Regarding Futuroscope, well, I really hope I am wrong about it, but it looks rather outdated. And as a scientist (who spent way to much time in the education system), educational, vulgarisation or GP initiation stuff often bore me to death.

PS : The "it is not the park's fault" doesn't really work here, Puy du Fou was purposefully built by those reactionaries to entertain a certain fascination for some aspects of the past, closely related to their own political agenda and moronic ideology.

Last edited:

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Well .. I am kind of a serious leftist/antifascist activist, and a scientist, so that could explain my radical subjectivity (nod to however gets the reference). But frankly, I cannot ever see myself go to Puy du Fou for any other reason than burning it down to the ground and throwing a giant party on the smoking ashes. Plus, one could argue that the social context is really different than for Disney (let's face it, humanity have had some serious issues to deal with and just started to do so quite lately). There is no excuse, nor good justification for the ideology promoted by the people down at Puy du Fou, and I will not knowingly give money to whom I consider as political enemies (and I don't think I am the only one thinking this).

Regarding Futuroscope, well, I really hope I am wrong about it, but it looks rather outdated. And as a scientist (who spent way to much time in the education system), educational, vulgarisation or GP initiation stuff often bore me to death.

PS : The "it is not the park's fault" doesn't really work here, Puy du Fou was purposefully built by those reactionaries to entertain a certain fascination for some aspects of the past, closely related to their own political agenda and moronic ideology.

Okay I hear you - but I put it to you again - If it was a park you actually wanted to visit because of its rides/coasters or attractions - would you still boycott it? say for example Liseberg was owned/created by right-wing fasists?

balrog

Mega Poster
Okay I hear you - but I put it to you again - If it was a park you actually wanted to visit because of its rides/coasters or attractions - would you still boycott it? say for example Liseberg was owned/created by right-wing fasists?
Of course ! We are talking about fascism here, it goes beyond the usual political quarrels of pro vs. anti neoliberal capitalism or liberals vs. conservatives.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Of course ! We are talking about fascism here, it goes beyond the usual political quarrels of pro vs. anti neoliberal capitalism or liberals vs. conservatives.

Okay thats understandable! DESPITE that - the effects and staging of the attractions and shows look EPIC - beyond Disney standard in fact! and from a design aspect (I'm a designer myself) - I'm very intrigued! Also It's strange how the guardian gave the park a positive write up - whilst acknowledging its right wing creation!

balrog

Mega Poster
As far as I understand, it goes indeed well beyond anything done in other theme parks, mostly because those shows are the main attraction of the park. if the park changed ownership, i would definitely like to visit it. Just like we can enjoy the fascist art made during the 1930-40's, now that those regimes collapsed.