What's new

why do rollercoasters exist

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBrkeXusCOc[/youtube]

Above is a documentary called "Signature Attraction: A Documentary About Why Rollercoasters Exist?"

I thought I'd share, because it's really quite interesting. So this is a place to discuss the film itself AND the questions it asks... Why do roller coasters exist? What do YOU get out of them? What makes them so special to you? Why are you here? Why haven't you grown up? :p

I was worried this would answer the question with what I consider lazy and empty answers like "escapism" and "fear without the danger!" because clearly there's way more to it than that, especially for us nerds who've latched onto the subject to what most would consider an obsessive degree. Explaining why you like something is hard, but for me I think it is a mostly nostalgic thing... They are a source of happy moments from days out as a child, rare escapes from normality, that have cemented themselves in my psyche as such, despite no longer being that at all. They have become something else now - my social life, my creative life, my professional life. The documentary doesn't avoid the awkward realities of why anyone latches onto anything, I'm sure everyone will identify with some part of it.

Ben

CF Legend
This video was fab, I watched it on Friday night.

It gets a bit wish-washy, but it's a unique and interesting take on something that is, at the end of the day, really quite weird.

I like the whole part about how school is tough but then he got to a theme park and found his place where he belongs, and the people he belongs with.

Cause as incredibly lame as this sounds that is my life.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Jeez, this is sounding like English Class...

Because they're fun! They give me an adrenaline rush, they pass time, and they're enjoyable! Nothing more!

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Yh, I was going to say that was a pun.

I'm more into themed environments than coasters per se (doesn't mean I don't really enjoy them though!). I guess I've always been obsessed with fantasy (hence, also, my love of film) but I love that going to a theme park means I can physically BE in a fairytale (or as close to that as I possibly can).

Also, interestingly I feel, I always like the idea of a theme park over actually being there. Like, obviously I love going to theme parks but, again, pertaining to the idea of fantasy, it's always best enjoyed in my head, either as a memory or imagining what somewhere will be like. And the more I go the more memories I create therefore the bigger bank of fantasy I have to take from.

Finally, there's a sense of accomplishment with me with coaster counting. I love the sense of satisfaction for ticking a few creds off of the list. And what better hobby/collection to be a part of than one that takes you all over the world!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
GuyWithAStick said:
Jeez, this is sounding like English Class...

Because they're fun! They give me an adrenaline rush, they pass time, and they're enjoyable! Nothing more!

Guys you do realise if you don't find something interesting you don't have to read it or post.

Also your answer is bull, but whatever. :lol:

jackdude101 said:
Joey said:
jackdude101 said:
I love roller coasters because they move me.
Cool.

How? Why? Why's that important? What does that mean? How does that apply to coasters universally?

It was meant to be a joke. Carry on.

I suspected it probably was, but I always hope people actually have something to contribute of interest and aren't just spamming. :p

there's a sense of accomplishment with me with coaster counting.
I think this is a big part of it. It's a "thing to do" much with collecting. It's very similar to buying ...stuff.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Going to ramble a bit now, and probably talk myself in circle, but for the interest of getting some thoughts down - here goes.

I think you're sort of asking a different question to the one people are answering here Joey. If I've interpreted your posts correctly at least.

What I think you mean: Why do coasters exist? Literally, what in our human psychology has caused us to want to make machines like this? Why couldn't that thrill be gotten another way? This isn't a matter of personal preference, this is a fundamental question about the need for them in society.

What I think is being answered: What do coasters give you that makes you want to keep riding them? This is more about the preferences of individuals and their likes and dislikes.

I think they're subtly different, and neither probably has an easy answer. Tackling each one in turn:

Why do coasters exist?
This is a big question, and not one that I think I can answer fully. I think the question isn't just about coasters, it extends to things like slides, trampolines, skydiving, they're all doing similar things to your emotions - I think - just to varying degrees. Is it possible they're trying to emulate some of the sensations we are hard-wired in our biology to experience? Generally speaking, we've lived a very safe life for a hundred years or so now - from the point of view of dangers in our environment like falling off cliffs, being chased by bears, having to fight off a surprise midnight raid - you know what I mean. I wonder if there's almost something within us that needs to have those emotions every now and again, and if coasters are a way for us to get that.

Biologically, strong positive or negative G-Force, travelling very quickly (exposed to the air), being up at 300ft, are things that we don't like. They're a red flag to our bodies that something isn't right. In the same way that people get motion sick (their brain can't rationalise their sensory inputs), I think roller coasters put your body through those feelings. Even though you know you're safe, your body is screaming that you're not. Coming out of it alive feels fantastic!

Obviously, there's a lot of social implications of a roller coaster too. They're a great thing to do with a group of people, as you all collectively get that 'high'. I've done parks on my own several times, and it's always fun, but it's never quite as fun as with others. There's something good about the social 'togetherness' of riding a coaster. It's the same feeling of comradery I get when riding a biking trail, for example, you all did it TOGETHER. Visiting a park with others definitely triggers those emotions, which can be quite powerful I think.

There's also that whole 'escapism' thing. A theme park is somewhere where people can go to blow off steam and do something out of the ordinary.

And then, let's face it, there is the business side of it. As soon as someone figured out they could make a device that people wanted to experience you get this runaway effect of new developments and relatively quickly (especially with improvements in materials) you have the range of experiences available to us today.

I don't think I've really said anything there, but it's certainly an interesting point. I don't think it's just coasters though, I think these effects happen to everything. Like I said at the start, why do we make slides for kids, go skydiving or mountain biking? I think they're all doing a similar thing - I don't think roller coasters are anything special in that regard.

What do coasters give you that makes you want to keep riding them?
This is a bit easier to answer, as I can speak about my preferences a bit more. Although it's still tricky as it's often hard to pin it down. I enjoy the forces, the speed, the height, the 'fear' of riding coasters. I'm afraid I keep using mountain biking as my example as it's probably my next biggest passion that provides some of these experiences. When I'm biking, especially on the harder more technical tracks, there is a very real chance that I could seriously injure myself. I'm not reckless, but I do push myself, I do crash and it does hurt. What stops me just riding straight into the biggest jump is that I'm aware of all of this and take a measured approach to it. Coasters are great, because that's the side of things you never have to worry about. However, you can get far more speed, force and height than you can biking, and I think that's some of what keeps drawing me back.

There's also the engineer in me that finds them brilliant pieces of design and applied science. They're elegant, clever, efficient pieces of hardware that I can't help be fascinated by. It's no different to the 'enjoyment' I get from knowing how things work generally, it's amazing to learn about how people were able to come up with their design.

I think nadroJ is also right, there's something nice about counting them. There's a sense of achievement, which shouldn't be forgotten about. Especially breaking the big milestones.

I don't think any of that is any different to any other enthusiasm really (or at least, I can see parallels). Baseball card collectors, classic car restorers, train spotters, model plane builders, anything. Which is probably another question in itself - why do we have enthusiasts (of any sort)?

Edit: I hadn't seen that video fully before I made that post, I now realise they cover most of what I said. And they said it better. Haha.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Thanks Hixee! I actually was kinda asking both questions!

Ok, this...

This is a big question, and not one that I think I can answer fully. I think the question isn't just about coasters, it extends to things like slides, trampolines, skydiving, they're all doing similar things to your emotions - I think - just to varying degrees. Is it possible they're trying to emulate some of the sensations we are hard-wired in our biology to experience? Generally speaking, we've lived a very safe life for a hundred years or so now - from the point of view of dangers in our environment like falling off cliffs, being chased by bears, having to fight off a surprise midnight raid - you know what I mean. I wonder if there's almost something within us that needs to have those emotions every now and again, and if coasters are a way for us to get that.
I don't buy this as a reason. It sounds logical so it gets thrown around a bit, but the reality is that I have zero interest in other "dangerous but safe" activities. I think you're a rare coaster nerd Hixee, in that you ARE an active adrenalin junkie. Maybe one reason for that, like the documentary starts to explore, is that the kind of people who really attach themselves to coasters are the awkward ones for whom here is a way to be hard and cool. I can certainly identify with that thinking back to when I was like 10, but I've not associated coasters in that way for some time, yet they've remained a huge part of my life. Coasters were for me a goal as a child, something I was too scared to do, but theme parks were the highlight of my year.

I think the... Specialness of theme park visits is a lot to do with why they became a big deal for me. As a child, the once a year trip to Chessington was a huge deal, one I looked forward to once it had passed, immediately dreamed of going back. Why? I don't... Really know. The family day out part of it might be a big reason, the fact that it was this special thing, or was it that the experience was just that meaningful to me? I don't know. Terror Tomb, though, was something that I was fascinated with as a child. I don't know why, either. I just thought it was SO cool.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On the surface, roller coasters are a novel, thrilling activity that is out of the ordinary for most. When else do you get to drop hundreds of feet, flip through the air, or exceed the typical top speed of a public motorway? The draw is that of excitement, to indulge in a controlled, adrenaline-filled experience.

Digging a bit deeper though, as the documentary does, roller coasters (and amusement parks) can be a shared experience with friends and loved ones. While the "escapism" of theme parks can make for happy memories, those memories are all the happier when you reflect on friends you rode rides with, family you strolled down a causeway with, etc.

Roller coasters are an ultimate form of leisure. But they can also take on a social element, which allows us to connect with others in a very unique and intimate way.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Joey said:
I don't buy this as a reason. It sounds logical so it gets thrown around a bit, but the reality is that I have zero interest in other "dangerous but safe" activities. I think you're a rare coaster nerd Hixee, in that you ARE an active adrenalin junkie.
A valid point, and I think you're probably right. I guess I just think there must be something in us that wants to experience these things. We want to put our bodies through the pleasant sensations, but then... you're right, there are lots of people who don't have any form of release like that. Not even coasters. So I think you're right, on closer inspection maybe that's not the real reason.

Joey said:
Maybe one reason for that, like the documentary starts to explore, is that the kind of people who really attach themselves to coasters are the awkward ones for whom here is a way to be hard and cool. I can certainly identify with that thinking back to when I was like 10, but I've not associated coasters in that way for some time, yet they've remained a huge part of my life. Coasters were for me a goal as a child, something I was too scared to do, but theme parks were the highlight of my year.
I think is a very valuable observation. Of all of the niche hobbies there are, it seems relatively rare that the people who do them weren't at one point in their lives a little... awkward. Not that that has to be the case for their whole life, but it's common that those months/years of not really fitting in right lead people to taking up these slightly alternative hobbies. It would be interesting to speak to model train collectors, classic car restorers, dungeons and dragons collectors, etc about their experiences of this. I wonder if coasters aren't any different to other hobbies in that respect? Not sure if that's making sense, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

The people who I went to school with who were socially very comfortable, good at sports, popular with the girls, etc just don't have hobbies. Photography? Supporting a football team? Sure, but none of them have anything like coasters. If I think about the people who were a bit like me at school (enjoyed sports but wasn't the best, socially more comfortable with my little niche of friends, not very good with the girls etc) then I can think of such a broad range of interests and hobbies. Programming video games, climbing, model trains, building cars, they're all the things that are a bit different. Maybe by virtue of us not quite fitting we had to find something we were good at, or did fit in with?

Why that ended up being coasters for some of us, rather than others, is a tricky one. I think it's possibly almost just chance.

Joey said:
I think the... Specialness of theme park visits is a lot to do with why they became a big deal for me. As a child, the once a year trip to Chessington was a huge deal, one I looked forward to once it had passed, immediately dreamed of going back. Why? I don't... Really know. The family day out part of it might be a big reason, the fact that it was this special thing, or was it that the experience was just that meaningful to me? I don't know. Terror Tomb, though, was something that I was fascinated with as a child. I don't know why, either. I just thought it was SO cool.
That's definitely a big part of it. I do think the people you go with has a powerful impact on you emotionally. I look back to my family holidays where parks featured as a part of the activity (Disneyland Paris, Florida, Port Aventura) and think about what was really the highlight? It wasn't the Hulk, or Dragon Khan (although they were highlights), it was the shows, Jaws, Dudley-Do-Right's, the all-you-can-eat breakfasts. Those are the bits that make me feel truly happy. That's not to say that parks these days aren't fun, I've got some fantastic memories of riding coasters with CFers, but they're not filed in the same bit of my brain as the family ones were.