What's new

Why Bomb Six Flags America???

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Is their any decent theme parks in DC and Baltimore?

NASHER said:
I don't post here anymore (don't think I have in a while) but still lurk occasionally to check the news stories...but...
The park I hear has been destroyed by African Americans who are the largest ethnic group per capita surrounding Prince George county which is where Sux Flags is located.
Seriously dude?
I know as a lurker it's not really my place to say anything, but I really think people could take offence at what you're insinuating with this post...
Again sorry to get involved, but it seems a line has been crossed.

Agreed. It certainly comes across as racist to me too. I don't know if that's just lack of understanding though, "Britishness" or if I'm right :lol: I'm going for the latter.

Unless there is overwhelming evidence that it's down to a specific race of locals causing the issue, then it's quite simple knee-jerk racism. Even a grain of truth is not enough... Be careful please.

I've merged this with the other SFA topic too.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The park-goers were predominantly African American during my visit, but that doesn't mean anything. I saw basically every race and ethnicity at the park that day. One can't blame the park's issues on their largest demographic in its entirety. I'm sure almost all of the park's guests are just trying to have a nice day with the family and very few are actually there to cause trouble.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I always here about bad staff at this park and SFG (although not been to either myself) But this is why i like travelling.

The ride ops in China could be saying "Get in the car you @£$%^* moron" and I just smile and nod and get on the ride none the wiser. makes for a much nicer park experience if you just assume everyone's being nice.

Ignorance is Bliss

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
SFA staff were pretty good in ny opinion, in fact probably the nicest of the 4 SF parks I've done overall.

But there was this one bitch on the ticket booth who I almost lost it with. Barely uttered a word, didn't make it obvious she was doing anything, foul faced. Uggghhhh.

SFOG had the worst staff overall.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Edward M

Strata Poster
Joey said:
SFOG had the worst staff.

I actually had a very good experience with the SFOG workers. They were nice and pretty helpful. My favorite Six Flags parks I've been to. SFGAdv though...

andrus

Giga Poster
I had no problems with the ride ops at all, in contrast to what a lot of others are suggesting..

But the place still sucked! :lol: The whole park is just a big concrete slab, almost no greenery. Theming where very poor (except Apocalypse). All the rides where faded and needed new paint. A lot of the park was run down as well and in desperate need of a refurb!

Regarding the rides: there are a lot of mediocre ones, a couple of good/decent ones and only one good that makes the travel to the park worthwhile (Joker's Jinx).

ultradude306

Roller Poster
Personally, I find that how good a time you have at apart more depends on who you're with, rather than the park/fair itself. For example, just tonight, I was at a local carnival, which, although had a few decent rides, but overall was really sketchy and had pretty bad operations. However, as I was with a group of good friends, ended up having a great time.

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
I fear what happened to Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio that was originally Six Flags Worlds of Adventure connected to sea world, will happen to Six Flags America & be replaced by a retail
Shopping center just like Geauga Lake. Just my opinion. Here's the problem with SFA, they don't have any top of the line roller coasters like X2,Kingda Ka, El Toro, Titan, etc. the lack of thrill rides at six flags America is terrible. The rides always break down, how can guests appreciate their ride experience if that happens all the time? Just tear down Six Flags America and start from scratch.

Hobbes

Mega Poster
Not an expert on this, but didn't Geauga Lake have much more competition from surrounding parks that factored into its closure?

And isn't SFA the only major theme park around DC? I have no idea how close some of the parks in Virginia are.

I haven't been to SFA, so I can't comment on service/atmosphere etc., but I will agree that the ride list seems a little lackluster. However, if it has very little competition from nearby parks, it doesn't really need to have the best rides in the world. There are plenty of parks that have rides far from the best in the world, but that's no real reason to tear them to the ground.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^SFA has KD and BGW about 2 1/2 hours to the south, SFGAdv 2 1/2 hours to the north east, and Dorney and Hershey 2 1/2 hours to the north west. Give or take 30 min depending on traffic (when I lived in the Burg it took me 2 hours on the dot to get from Williamsburg to DC). Nothing terrible close but a bunch that are day tripable.

If the park is making money, it should stay open. The only way it will get converted is if SF finds it more profitable to sell the land (assuming they own it) to a group looking to build something else.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Hobbes said:
Not an expert on this, but didn't Geauga Lake have much more competition from surrounding parks that factored into its closure?

And isn't SFA the only major theme park around DC? I have no idea how close some of the parks in Virginia are.

6FA isn't a theme park by any stretch of the imagination. It's an amusement park, pure and simple.

Geauga Lake's competition was Cedar Point. As long as any company owned it that wasn't Cedar Fair, it's existence was guaranteed. The day CF bought the park, people began to wonder how long it would be before CF shut it down. Turns out they were right.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Hobbes said:
I haven't been to SFA, so I can't comment on service/atmosphere etc., but I will agree that the ride list seems a little lackluster.

The ride list may not be as good as a lot of the major US theme parks, but if the park was in Europe i doubt people would think it didn't have a very good ride selection.

In that East Coast area it is probably lacking the most out of the major parks in great and unique coasters, as the best ones are clones that can be found elsewhere, but personally i think the line up is still good.

I haven't been, but from looking at the park this is what i see.

bmac

Giga Poster
Hobbes said:

All times estimated from the Geographic center of Washington DC
SFA: 30 minutes
KD: 1.5 hours
Hershey: 2 hours
BGW: 3 hours
Dorney: 5 hours
SFGrAdv: 5.5 hours

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
bmac said:
Hobbes said:

^ Been to all of those (several times) except Dorney! :D

bmac

Giga Poster
Dorney's good for the credits, it can provide a decent experience when no one from Philly and Allentown are there.

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
CPSFMMCW said:
bmac said:
Hobbes said:

^ Been to all of those (several times) except Dorney! :D

Out of all of the parks you've listed, I'd say that Busch gardens in Virginia tops them all, I haven't visited the other parks yet but I did however visit Hershey when I was like 5-6 yrs old. BGW wins because not only their rides are good, they theme them perfectly, and the way they design their countries was very impressive!!! Almost looked like you were literally in their country! The shows were fantastic, BGW also is better and tops its sister park in Tampa-Busch Gardens Tampa Bay by far! I've been to Busch gardens in Tampa and it was the dirtiest park I've ever been too!!!!!! No kidding! I visited Disney World and we decided to take a drive to Busch gardens because we thought it would be worth the drive! We were way wrong! The food was even worse! I had a hamburger and their were flies in the burger!!! YUCCCCCCCCK! I have to say Montu and Shiekra might be worth riding idk I was too young to ride but my parents didnt want me to ride the rides because the park was so filthy. It was also like brutally hot that day, it was at least 96°F. And none of the African animals at BGT didn't come out. Too much heat, so is it worth another try to BGT or should I just visit Disney next time and not drive an hour to go to another park?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
SpeedKills81 said:
It was also like brutally hot that day, it was at least 96°F. And none of the African animals at BGT didn't come out.

Pretty sure weather isn't BGT's fault...

And awesome that you got to see all the animals. :p

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
SpeedKills81 said:
bmac said:
Hobbes said:

Out of all of the parks you've listed, I'd say that Busch gardens in Virginia tops them all, I haven't visited the other parks yet but I did however visit Hershey when I was like 5-6 yrs old. BGW wins because not only their rides are good, they theme them perfectly, and the way they design their countries was very impressive!!! Almost looked like you were literally in their country! The shows were fantastic, BGW also is better and tops its sister park in Tampa-Busch Gardens Tampa Bay by far!
Having been to all of them(except Dorney), heres how I rank them in order of my fav's:

Great Adventure
Kings Dominion
Hershey
Busch Gardens
SF America

Like I said, SF America isnt a bad park, but its just not as good as the other big ones in the area. But what I rank the parks on is how often it makes me want to come back to them. Great Adventure, I want to go to next year, because they stepped up there game with the drop tower! Kings Dominion has a great mix of rides, and so I love going back there. Hershey is just a hair behind KD, for the same reasons. Busch Gardens is good, but its wayy overrated. Its a good park. No where near the best in the world though. Apollo's is heaven. Griffon is good. Verbolten is fun. Alpengeist isn't that great. Most overrated ride in the park. And loch ness is an arrow. So its last. But I still like it, don't get me wrong.