What's new

Why Bomb Six Flags America???

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Ok this is a legit question. I was just at Six Flags America(Upper Marlboro, Maryland) this past week, and knowing what people have always said about the park(that its not good, it sucks, etc), I went to the park with not very High expectations. They were exceeded. I had a fantastic day at the park. Lines were short, the weather was good, it was clean, the water park was great, the coasters were fun, and the employees were really nice. Since this, I have been wondering, why does everyone bomb this park for being terrible? Sure, they only ran one train per coaster. But did that ruin my trip? It wasn't that big of a deal, since crowds were very light. And even the employees, which people say aren't very nice, I found to be very nice! they were kind, high-fiving people when they walked by, and were all around kind. So why does no one share the love to this underrated park? Heres my take on it. Let me know what you think of this. The park has had a rough past, and maybe people who went to the park before it was owned by six flags had a bad experience at the park, so when they went to the park now, they didn't realize that the park has changed. Maybe they went in with a bad attitude. I dunno, but I can testify that this is a good fun park, worth stopping at. So why doesn't it feel like anyone else likes this park? I'd prefer for this to be answered by people who have been to the park, and what their most recent experience was like.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Wild One was ok, Superman was ok, Roar was ok, Joker's Jinx was ok. Operations sucked. The clientele was fairly rude...

It's an amusement park - you're more than likely going to have fun. We enthusiasts have traveled far and wide so we know what a world class amusement park is. There's just parks out there that do everything much better.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I've not had a bad visit in three trips to 6FA. I think the bemoaning how horrible the place is, is connected to the general trend of negativity about all things in this hobby.

Snoo

The Legend
^Agreed.

I've not had a bad visit in three trips to 6FA. I think the bemoaning how horrible the place is, is connected to the general trend of negativity about all things in this hobby.

I wouldn't say that tbh. While the general consensus seems to be more critical of rides/parks, when we have a bigger pool to look at, we tend to be.

As far as SFA, I would agree with Marc. While I haven't been back since 2007, when I went, the people were rude, pushy, and just plain stupid. Staff was the same but TOWARDS guests (Every once in a while.. it will happen at all parks.. but this was ride ops to cleaning staff) I was genuinely shocked as I had never experienced something like that before.. and it wasn't just one or two people.

End of my day, I didn't want to come back because a bunch of people who shouldn't treat people bad, no matter how terrible they are, did. To be honest, that is a dealbreaker. I'd rather go to crappier ride parks with great staff then a ok coaster selection with a bunch of pieces of **** surrounding me. I might go back someday, but since I don't live close and don't have any trips planned in that area/Six Flags is expensive.. I don't feel the need to go back.. ever really.. especially considering the amazing parks I've been to since then.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
That's what I mean: I've never seen any of this horrible guest/employee behavior 6FA that people talk about. I've seen consistently worse employees at La Ronde (OMG they are awful, rude AND über-lazy) and Magic Mountain.

Snoo

The Legend
That's the thing.. if it were isolated.. while one person hated it while others enjoyed the hell out of it. That might be different. BUT, consistently over the years, many people don't like the rides/staff/layout/most things about the park. While I tend to base my opinion on my own experiences, if the general consensus is the same.. I don't really think my experience as an outlier as you suggest.

I do want to go back to see if anything changes tbh.. but I wouldn't go out the way to make it happen.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I haven't been to the park but it seems like all they're rides are pretty meh. I've heard that the "better" rides at the park can be found at other parks. You're right about having a fun time; I know I wouks have a fun time if I were to go there. But unless you're the area, it's probably not worth he trip there. The only reason I'd go there is to get the creds. But I'm not gonna travel long distances to get meh creds.

Edward M

Strata Poster
It's kind of like me with Thorpe, you with SFA. I know the operations suck, but I had a good time. The rides aren't the best of all time, but they are fun. Maybe I just like being at theme parks too much because of how far away I am from one, but I like Thorpe (or SFA, in your case). I just had a good time. However, like SFA, there's a better park nearby like Alton Towers (or Busch, in your case).

bmac

Giga Poster
Went on the 6th, probably the worst thing about the park was that everything needed a coat of **** paint. It really is your middle of the road "meh" park, but understanding that enthusiasts tend to go to coaster heavy parks (SFA has 8, one of the higher counts in the US) gives them a good reason to be peeved when they enter through the gates.

Operations were really slow that day. My only comparison really is Dorney Park back in like 2009, and I can kinda understand the lazy operations when the longest line in the park was me and a few friends waiting for the front row on Apocalypse. Roar's operations were retarded. I have no clue why they feel the need to have the ops push down the lap bars from front to back, and god forbid you push your bar down out of turn cause then they have to start it all over again.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It's not that bad. Georgia Is easilly a more unpleasant park in terms of guests and staff.

My two experiences of SFA have left me convinced that if they had a signature attraction of interest to enthusiasts it wouldnt get half the hate. Their problem is they have a load of ****, some meh, one or two good rides and nothing great. Also, with parks like Hershey, Dorney, Busch and even Kings Dominion near by, why would anyone bother?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

steel

Mega Poster
I haven't been to SFA, but it seems to be compared pretty often to SFKK, and I have been there. That's the only park I've ever legitimately hated. All the employees were rude and slow and unprofessional (literally all of them we dealt with, without exception), the operations were appalling, it was dirty, none of the rides were all that great. At one point we waited 15 minutes (not exaggerating) in the Thunder Run station for the staff to decide what to do about a guest who wasn't fitting in the harness. Couldn't wait to get the credits and get out of there.

kimahri

CF Legend
I ate some dodgy chicken there and felt ill afterwards. The whole place just felt unpleasent as a whole. It's like the park in it's self doesn't want you there. The rides are canny **** too save for jokers jynx.

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
Is their any decent theme parks in DC and Baltimore?

I can't think of any top ranked amusement parks in Washington DC except Six Flags America, I heard the park has had a lot of problems is this true? The park I hear has been destroyed by African Americans who are the largest ethnic group per capita surrounding Prince George county which is where Sux Flags is located. Their have been a couple of scary incidents at the park, a stabbing and someone carrying a gun in the park. Their have been reports I even heard of gangs walking around the park, I don't know if this happens a certain time of day. The park employees are rude. It's not a very clean park and not very safe. So what do DC/Baltimore residents choose for a extreme top ranked theme park to go to other than Six Flags in the DC & Baltimore Area? Travel 1 hr and a half to Doswell, VA to go to Kings Dominion or travel 2 hours and 30 minutes to Williamsburg to visit Busch Gardens? Tell me your guys experiences with Six Flags America and what you had to deal with while you were their, where does it rank with the rest of the Six Flags Parks? I mean I've visite. Busch Gardens in Virginia and tell me is Busch Gardens Williamsburg a better park than Six Flags America by alot or a little? Am I missing anything that I need to see at Six Flags America? Is SFA better than KD in Doswell too?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Re: Is their any decent theme parks in DC and Baltimore?

I never had a single problem at 6FA in several visits, apart from the poorly designed layout. Don't let other people cloud your judgement, make your own conclusions. The park isn't the best in the 6F chain, but it's also not the worst.

I am sure some people in DC travel to Kings Dominion, and some may go to Williamsburg as well. 6FA is not the only place (or park) in the world to have had violent incidents or weapon incidents occur, so don't live in fear.

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster

Ok but how do you compare even kennywood to Six Flags America? What's the better park between those?

NASHER

Roller Poster

I don't post here anymore (don't think I have in a while) but still lurk occasionally to check the news stories...but...
The park I hear has been destroyed by African Americans who are the largest ethnic group per capita surrounding Prince George county which is where Sux Flags is located.
Seriously dude?
I know as a lurker it's not really my place to say anything, but I really think people could take offence at what you're insinuating with this post...
Again sorry to get involved, but it seems a line has been crossed.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

SpeedKills81 said:
Ok but how do you compare even kennywood to Six Flags America? What's the better park between those?

Kennywood is one of my favorite parks in the US, but they are such different animals, it's not even fair to compare them.