What's new

Who Copies Off Of Who More?

bentcookie

Mega Poster
After reading one forum on here that asked which coaster was better: TTD or KK, it got me thinking...Which company copies off the other one more? Six Flags or Cedar Fair? Or do neither copy off of each other at all, and these questions I have are just the result of me being my stupid enthusiast/opinionated self? :lol:

A perfect example I have is Six Flags Great America's new light/music/fireworks show for 2013 that they call "ignite". It is pretty much the exact same thing as CP's Luminosity. (Just look up Six Flag's new attractions for 2013 video)

And of course KK. KK is just outright plagerism.

I think Six Flags copies off of Cedar Fair more.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Or do neither copy off of each other at all, and these questions I have are just the result of me being my stupid enthusiast/opinionated self?

Answered your own question.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU[/youtube]

No one has an exclusive right to a specific concept or idea. Therefore, companies take what is already out there, and try to improve it with the talent and skills they possess.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I agree with most of what's been said, but as more of a direct answer regarding specifically Cedar Fair and Six Flags, I'd say a lot of times Cedar Fair debuts the first of something and Six Flags attempts to perfect (or at least improve) it. That's not to say it doesn't ever go the other way. Also I think it oftentimes has to do with what the manufacturer has recently developed when the park comes to them for a new coaster/ride/attraction, etc.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Plagiarism doesn't have an 'e' in it.

Also, 'copying' is rampant in the whole industry. Even Disney can be caught at it occasionally.

njn63

Mega Poster
bentcookie said:
A perfect example I have is Six Flags Great America's new light/music/fireworks show for 2013 that they call "ignite". It is pretty much the exact same thing as CP's Luminosity. (Just look up Six Flag's new attractions for 2013 video)
Aren't they both copied off of IllumiNations at Epcot?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Technically they all copied off of Edison who invented both the lightbulb and the phonograph. :wink:

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The biggest surprise I ever had in regards to 'copying' involved Disney copying 6FGAm.

6FGAm had been using the same sone for it's night-time parade for over 15 years, when I visited Disney Hollywood Studios, and noticed they were using the same song, and the same REMIX for a new daytime parade. Kind of an odd coincidence, since Disney owns about a million songs in-house that they'd use one from outside the company.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Everyone copies at least one thing or another. That's the nature of this and most other industries. Also shouldn't it be who copies whom more? (public schools just drill grammar into you x.x)