What's new

When do you put up your decorations?

When do the Christmas decorations go up?

• Before December (Booo)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First week of December

• Second week of December

• Third week of December

• Few days before

• Christmas Eve

• I don't bother

• Total voters

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Traditionally speaking, it's 12 days before Christmas, and taking them down 12 days after.

As my family is rather anti-xmas, that is the only tradition we follow.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
At uni we have a "christmas shrine" which goes up for my birthday and the week of drinking.

At home, they should be up anytime now. New house, so new decorations and suck. Got a really nice big fireplace now. Its in the countryside, so it should be a really tradition looking festive display in and out of the house :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jools said:
A few ordiments and candles on the first, the swags go up first wednesday

Just off the wall question here, but do you call them ordiments? I'm getting a picture of you Jools as somebody who constantly has a stuffed up nose. When you read posts, you kind of confer a voice to the text you read. With all the typos you make, I just have the voice in my head for you as a bunged up kid :lol:

And what are swags?

tks said:
I honestly can't stand christmas decorations, or lights. It's such a complete waste of electricity. Call me scrooge but I think the whole thing is insanely tacky and crap.

Scrooge!

Ben said:
Um, never?

If I wanted tacky, fake, hideous lights everywhere, I'd move to Vegas.

Scrooge +1

ciallkennett said:
Traditionally speaking, it's 12 days before Christmas, and taking them down 12 days after.

As my family is rather anti-xmas, that is the only tradition we follow.

Well keep your own traditions to yourself and don't force them upon us in bold :p

Traditonally it's Christmas Eve, as it was considered bad luck to bring evergreens into the house - at all! So it was always left until the last minute.

Anyway, you all fail for not pointing out the irony in the first post and shouting me down... ;) :roll:

honestly can't stand christmas decorations, or lights. It's such a complete waste of electricity. Call me scrooge but I think the whole thing is insanely tacky and crap.

You and Ben = booooringg :p .

And you being on the computer is also a waste of electricity, but you don't see us complaining :p .

CMonster

Giga Poster
We put our tree up the day after thanksgiving, decorate it sometime in the first week of december (we did it yesterday) and put up Christmas lights in the first-second week of december.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Christmas lights: Usually second weekend of December.

Other decorations: December 23. We take them down some 20 days after Christmas. Until we put them up, the snow has to make the Christmassy atmosphere by itself.

Sam

Giga Poster
Yeah because powering a few fairy lights is really gunna put the leccy bill through the roof isn't it.

Sheesh, it annoys me when people try and justify their lack of decorations by saying it's because of the electricity. It's either because you're miserable, boring, an attention seeker or just a scrooge.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
ScroogeFirst.jpg

Will

Strata Poster
Third week for us.
I'm hoping for the 17th this year, and all these topics are making me rather look forward to it :)

Rush

Giga Poster
Usually the first or second weekend in December, I think the only oppurtunity we have is this Saturday (5th). We don't usually go over the top, just a decorated tree and some small lights outside does us fine. Living in a culdesac, we don't get a lot of people seeing them anyway.

peep

CF Legend
I can never remember to be honest and I couldn't care less. We just re-use some very old lame decorations. The day it all goes up is such a chore and so many arguments are created. The end result, in my opinion, never looks good anyway and no one else ever sees it so I just can't see the point. I like having the tree but that's all I care about.