• I've never changed a fuse in my life.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The lava lamp in my bedroom stopped working. I've had it for 12 years and aside from a few bulb replacements, it has worked like a dream. A psychedelic dream.

The bulb was fine so I decided to change the fuse in the plug.

As I was rummaging through the tool box in the garage for a suitably sized Phillips head screwdriver, it dawned on me that this is the first time that I've changed a fuse for years.

Years ago, I recall changing a plug fuse was a frequent occurrence. Perhaps back then, fuses didn't last as long, but now it's a rarity.

I want to know when you last changed a fuse in a plug because it would really interest me. (Don't forget to add +1 at the end of your post)

A

Anonymous

We replace a fuse here and there a couple of times a year. But our fuses are in a box in the basement so we don't have to bust out a Philips screwdriver to get them.
But then again, most new installations use circuit breaker's which means that you just have to flip a switch if the "fuse" breaks...

EDIT: Oh yeah +1...

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Within the last few months.

I think it was for my light mounted above the computer screen, that blew its fuse when the bulb went. I have since changed the entire lamp because it smelt of burning and plastic was falling out. Could of been up to 6 months ago...

Quite random Ian! Yet suprizingly interesting.

(Oh +1)

Martyn

Giga Poster
Christ, I haven't done for ages, good point!

Certainly haven't done one while living in this house...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
loefet said:
But then again, most new installations use circuit breaker's which means that you just have to flip a switch if the "fuse" breaks...
Yes, but the broken fuse is what trips the circuit breaker, so surely you have to change the plug fuse anyway?

The house I live in has a circuit breaker, the switch did drop, but I still had to change the fuse.
A-Kid said:
Within the last few months.

I think it was for my light mounted above the computer screen, that blew its fuse when the bulb went. I have since changed the entire lamp because it smelt of burning and plastic was falling out. Could of been up to 6 months ago...
Did you have to flick a switch on your circuit breaker?
Martyn said:
Christ, I haven't done for ages, good point!

Certainly haven't done one while living in this house...
Does your house have a circuit breaker?

When my lava lamp fuse blew, I had to flick the switch back on the upstairs socket plugs circuit breaker switch. I've got a strange feeling that fuse changing is a thing of the past.

Mark

Strata Poster
The last time for me was probably Year 10 of high school...... (Does quick sum in head)....

13 years ago!

A-Kid

Giga Poster
^^ Nope. Never do. The only time I need too is when the main lights blow, knocking out the lighting block. The plug circuit never seems to take out the ring main when something goes bang.

...Plus you wouldn't need to? The fuse is in the plug! :)

A

Anonymous

Ian said:
loefet said:
Yes, but the broken fuse is what trips the circuit breaker, so surely you have to change the plug fuse anyway?

The house I live in has a circuit breaker, the switch did drop, but I still had to change the fuse.
Ian my dear, we don't have any fuses in the plugs. :)
I don't really see the point of having them, they feel a bit redundant since you have a fuse box somewhere in the house, and the best thing with not having a fuse in the plugs it makes them a lot smaller...

Euro plugs FTW!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Within the last year. I remember having to change the fuse in a lamp in the spare bedroom, and I'm sure there is another occasion that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Fuses do seem to blow much less often than they used to though, might just be that I don't see my Dad change them any more, but it certainly seems like the amount we have to change has reduced.

(+1)

Snoo

The Legend
I don't think I've honestly ever done it. I've had to reset a fuse plenty of times.. but never replace.

WAIT!! No.. back maybe 6-7 years ago.. I remember it. Well.. there ya go.

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Now you mention it I don't remember ever having to do it in my present home - which I've lived in for almost 13 years.

Dreading the day the main fuse box blows though - no circuit breaker here and I wouldn't know where to start messing with fuse wire.

+1

Error

Strata Poster
I've never changed a PLUG fuse, however I did change fuses for my Firebird (I miss that car) and my house before we replaced the box. The closest thing I'm seen to that is in Christmas lights, which I think is required by law now.

Must be a British thing.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I have replaced fuses in Christmas lights a few years ago, but that's about it. We have a circuit breaker, so all we have to do is flip the switch.

+1

Ben

CF Legend
Probably three or four months ago, I had to change the fuse in our iPod dock's plug. I don't know if it knocked out the circuit breaker though because it had been blown for a while, Mum just didn't know what to do when it went...

+1

Karen

Hyper Poster
I can't remeber the last time I changed a fuse in a plug it has been that long. The last fuse in a fuse box I did was back in about 1998. It was a good old fashion wire one and I changed the lot as the previous tenant had put in all the wrong sizes of wire!?!

+1

Nic

Strata Poster
Didn't the days of changing fuses really end when they stopped selling stuff without plugs attached, and made them all sealed units? I know that even then, some of them still have flappy bits to access the fuse, but you can see what I'm getting at (actually, they stitched me up with that on my interview for my current job - printer cable with no fuse in it!) I think the thing is that consumer electricals are generally so cheap now that they're more or less disposable items. Its just as easy for people to go and buy a new one than it is to faff about with fuses. Plus, I bet a lot of people don't even have fuses kicking about at the back of cupboards anymore.

So yeah, I have changed a fuse in the past, but not for at least a decade. +1

marc

CF Legend
Funny enough changed a fuse 2 weeks ago but did not need to as it was ok in the end lol. As for a plug not put one on in years, used to have to do it all the time as things never came with one.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Never have done, I've always got my dad to do it and now I live with men so they can deal with that sort of thing, I'm quite happy making sandwiches for everyone in the kitchen =]