What's new

What Song Was At Number 1 (UK) when you were born?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Russ Conway - Side Saddle
Four weeks at #1 & still the longest-running instrumental #1 of all-time.
I've never heard it (nor heard of it) before I looked it up today. :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie said:
My Birthday: 17th September 91

Song: Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

A-Kid said:
Shakespears Sister - Stay.

Never heard of it.

So there's a lot of people those years will have those :lol:

I hate the first, and love the second (Hormonally Yours sometimes reappears on the iPod :) )

southend_marc said:
Well some people are going to laugh their heads off at at mine

Gary Glitter I Love You Love Me Love

I was... Then saw mine...

Gary Glitter - I'm the leader of the gang (I am) :lol:

loefet said:
Captain Sensible - Happy Talk

ROFL!!!, How could anyone buy such a rubbish track :--D

:oops:

In my defence. Captain Sensible was with "The Damned", a punk/early goth band I loved. I just thought it would be more of the same :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading some of these replies.

I recall most of the tunes people have posted if they were born in the early 90's.

Ice Ice Baby, Stay, Take That - it's all fresh in my mind!

Anyway, mine is David Bowie's Ashes To Ashes which is amazing as I've just become additced to Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Gene Hunt is my hero, no scrap that, he's my idol.

If I were born a few days later then a Jam song, albeit a toss one, would have been #1, which is also amazing as I less-than-three the Jam!

Pierre

Strata Poster
Doctor & The Medics - Spirit in the Sky :lol:

I'm sure I had a really rubbish one (worse than that) when I checked this before... I went through some peoples with betakitten, whose #1 song if I remembered rightly is Rick Astley :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
Jeez even im having some flashbacks with some of these artists, haha.

Mine is Whitney Houston with One Moment in Time

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Song- Rhythm is a Dancer by Snap

I don't even know this song

Tune! Back in the early 90's there was loads of that early electronic dance music about, it's great! YT it.

Lain

Giga Poster
October 4th 1988 presents me with...

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother by The Hollies.

Go me.

Jools

Giga Poster
Ian said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Song- Rhythm is a Dancer by Snap

I don't even know this song

Tune! Back in the early 90's there was loads of that early electronic dance music about, it's great! YT it.

Ditto, infact, it's still very popular today, other songs you can compare it to are songs like ATCs Around the world.

A

Anonymous

Dave said:
Jeez even I'm having some flashbacks with some of these artists, haha.
Yeah me too, I remember all of these songs from the late 80's and 90's. They are so much better than the stuff today.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
loefet said:
Dave said:
Jeez even I'm having some flashbacks with some of these artists, haha.
Yeah me too, I remember all of these songs from the late 80's and 90's. They are so much better than the stuff today.

That's a sign of getting old, loefet!

For the record, I don't music is any worse than what it was when I was in my teens, most of it just isn't to my taste!

Emmett

Giga Poster
Maybe music just has a bigger impact on people when they are younger and in their teens and when they are discovering different styles of music and buying records for the first time.

With me the dance music from the early 90's right up until the mid 90's is still my favourite type of music ever. Most of the stuff I listen to is from then and I wouldn't be too fond of any of the new dance music which is around nowadays. Listening to music from back then also provides me with good memories of that time too.

Now I can see why older people always complain about not liking new music, it probably doesn't impact them the same as music throughout their youth.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Mine was Maria McKee-Show Me Heaven

Good song I guess, could've had something a little more interesting.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Crap, I feel old. Seriously. I helped put a fair few of of those to number 1 (Snap, 2 Unlimited, Shakespeare's Sister...Great stuff!)

Anyway, number one when I was born was Blondie - Atomic, which I feel is quite awesome.

Nic

Strata Poster
Mine's Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood. Could be worse, I guess.

Yes, I'd like to echo the cries of "Holy Crap!" in realising just how bloody young you all are, and how I actually own half the records that you're listing - Including 'Do the Bartman' :D Argh!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Vadge said:
Yes, I'd like to echo the cries of "Holy Crap!" in realising just how bloody young you all are, and how I actually own half the records that you're listing - Including 'Do the Bartman' :D Argh!

I love that fact that I'm the only one on here with it as my number one.