What's new

What is your favourite atypical coaster seating position/design?

What is your favourite atypical coaster seating position/design?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. There are a number of different seating positions and designs on coasters, but the most common by far is the good old sit-down coaster. Most coasters see riders sat in a regular seat above the track, and I’ve also noticed that many of the most highly ranked coasters in enthusiast polls are also regular sit-down coasters. However, a number of other seating positions and designs exist, so I’d be keen to know; what is your favourite atypical coaster seating position/design? What is your favourite coaster seating position that isn’t a classic, above-the-track sit-down coaster?

For clarity, I am classing anything that isn’t classed as a sit down coaster by RCDB to be an “atypical” coaster seating position/design. The different non sit-down seating positions/designs that RCDB lists are as follows:
  • Inverted
  • Suspended
  • Wing
  • Flying
  • Stand Up
  • Bobsled
  • Pipeline
You may not agree with those as being the only “atypical” riding positions/designs; indeed, I do not entirely agree with those (my main disagreement is that I would consider motorbike coasters, such as Velocity at Flamingo Land, to be a different riding position to a regular sit-down). However, to keep the definition fairly universal, I decided to keep to RCDB’s ride design categories for the poll.

In terms of my answer, I’d have to go for the good, solid Inverted Coaster on this one. Inverts are generally really solid rides for me, and they can provide some fun forces and a good sense of speed!

If I were to walk through the others:
  • Suspended: These are basically the same as Inverted, but often aimed towards a milder demographic. These can be quite good fun!
  • Wing: I really like the idea of the Wing Coaster, and I do love the sense of speed and exposure provided by the train design, but the ones I’ve done are let down slightly by the fact that I’m not hugely keen on B&M’s vest restraints.
  • Flying: I’m not a huge fan of flying coasters. I find the prone position quite uncomfortable, and I generally find them quite uncomfortable coasters even at the best of times.
  • Stand Up: Standup coasters are similar to flying coasters for me in that I’m not a huge fan of them and I find the position inherently quite uncomfortable. With standup coasters and flying coasters, the key word for me is “uncomfortable”.
  • Bobsled: I do have a soft spot for a bobsled coaster, but they’re never anything overly ground-breaking.
  • Pipeline: I’ve never done a pipeline coaster, so I can’t really pass judgement on the ride design.
But I’d be keen to know; which atypical coaster seating position/design is your favourite?

Last edited:

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
#1 Inverted
#2 Stand Up
#3 Suspended
#4 Wing
#5 Flying
#6 Bobsled

Flying & wing are probably interchangeable

Haven't done any pipeline stuff, or at least I don't think so.

Graeme

Roller Poster
Suspended. Thinking back to 1990 when I started seeing leaflets for Chessington's new "Vampire" ride, I don't think I've ever been as fascinated with a coaster idea. It was magical - like flying. I guess the swinging ones aren't viable, but it's still good to see modern "fixed" suspended coasters like Flight of the Pterosaur. I'd love to see a really long one with two lift hills that took you on an adventure similar to the Vampire.

When I got to try the inverted coasters, I did like them, but I think being able to do inversions almost takes away from the idea. The limitations of the suspended coaster tend to mean you get a layout focused on delivering that feeling of flying through the air.

Generally speaking, I think the coasters where you sit upright are the best, whether it's above or below the track - sitdown, floorless, inverted, suspended. Flying and bobsled can be good additions to a park, but mainly when you've got a lot of other coasters and really need the variety.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
They're such clunky categories when it comes to ranking them.

Wing contains Eejanaika, but also the most hideous of Zacspins and Freespins.

Invert contains Pyrenees, but also the most hideous of SLCs.

Flyer contains Flying Dinosaur, but also the most hideous of Volares.

Standup contains Freestyle, but also the most hideous of B&Ms.

Bobsleds are fine, until they're not.

It's Pipeline, obviously.

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
Heartline makes a good point - to an extent in ranking the favourite you're inevitably looking at how bad the worst of that type is. I'm yet to do a pipeline so thats out. So it has to be wing. Because I actually don't mind the Zacspins and Freespins, and it seems I like Furius Baco more than most as well

Projektion

Mega Poster
I can think of 2 good reasons why a stand up invert may not be the greatest idea for at least half the population. An Invert with a bike seat doesn't sound particularly "comfortable".

JackFish

Mega Poster
Standing invert? Not sure why it hasn't been done yet tbh, but you're welcome. ;)

Would require some serious clearance, even from it's own supports.
It sparked my mind and im thinking is it possible to put the Mack Xtreme Spinning coaster mechanism on an invert? Spinning invert? How much clearance would it need? I know the Gs should be fine, They've made the Batman clones run backward, so maybe we'll see this in the future?

Leon_K

Mega Poster
1. Flying Coaster: only rode 1 coaster but it might arguably be one the the best of its kind in terms of seating position: F.L.Y. The sense of flying was really there and the coaster was amazing.
2. Invert/suspended Coaster: I rode two ****ty SLC's but fortunately also one B&M Invert that was pretty good. To have nothing underneath you is a great feeling but having a four-across row of seats in front of you also blocks a lot of your view.
3: Bobsled: I rode one, the old Intamin Bobsled at Efteling. It was decently fun but I rode it a long time ago and I also don't remember it to really blow me away.

I didn't ride any Pipeline, Wing Coaster (I was too tall to ride all B&M Wing Coasters I ran into) or Standup Coaster.