What's new

What is this thing?

NASHER

Roller Poster
I haven't actually posted in here in a couple of years now, but I just wondered what the hell this thing is/was?
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYGkgQ8- ... re=related [/youtube]
stumbled across the video, and was amazed that something that hideous had even been built :(
Sorry for leaving and then coming back, but I thought someone here might like to see that!

Error

Strata Poster
It was posted a while ago, in the weird coaster bits section. It's called Tower Coaster-Fear (If I remember right), and it's the only one built. Apparently it's a fair coaster, even more reason not to touch it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just look at their poor necks at 0:28... :(

A

Anonymous

That ride was initially called "Cool & Fresh" and is made by SBF Visa with the model name Tower Coaster. It features a "world record" 135° steep drop and was launched for the 2003 season on the European fair market.

Link to SBF Visa - Tower Coaster
Also see the blocking fail on the picture of the coaster on their web-page :)

Darren B

Giga Poster
So why does this thing not hold the record for steepest drop? my guess would be that it doesn't actually 'drop' until its completed the 135 degree section? however the EL Loco's also have controlled drops and they have held the world record in the past.

NASHER

Roller Poster
Cheers!
The "record" for steepest drop is ridiculous anyway IMO, because for one you can't get "steeper" than 90*s, and if you think about it, any looping coaster has every angle of track possible (i.e 0*s-360*s, a tiny part of the track will be at 145*s, 146*s and so on) so the first looping coaster "took" all the "steepness" records in the 1900s. Sorry that's really badly explained :p but thanks for the answer :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^^The El Locos still actually drop through the steepest part though; the control is just over the crest of the hill. This thing is braked all the way through and doesn't actually "drop" until it's way into the vertical section.