What's new

What Is The Smoothest and Roughest Coaster You've Been On?

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
What Is The Smoothest and Roughest Coaster You've Been On?

I think the smoothest is probally Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The roughest is Corkscrew at Cedar Point. Rock 'N' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios was pretty rough, too.

Sorry if there is a thread about this already, I'm really new here.

I also don't have hardly any experience since I have only ridden 15 coasters, but what's your opinion?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: What Is The Smoothest and Roughest Coaster You've Been O

Smoothest is probably Swarm. No surprise given it's the newest coaster I've ridden.

Roughest is a tough one. Can't decide between Big Dipper in an outside seat or Infusion anywhere. Just remember stumbling off of both of them in relative pain. Although that may be in part due to the other rides taking their toll throughout the day.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Smoothest is probably any B&M in the first year of opening, but I'll go with New Texas Giant, just glass even in year 2 of operation.

Roughest is a tie between Racer at Kings Island, Judge Roy Scream at SF over Texas, and Psyclone at Magic Mountain.

BBH

Giga Poster

Smoothest is, without a doubt or any contest, X-Flight at SFGAm. It's like butter on glass.

Roughest is probably when you go too fast on a Miner Mike. :lol:

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Smoothest Steel = Any B&M in first year of operation

Smoothest Wood = El Toro and Phoenix

Roughtest Steel = Arrow loopers, Furious Baco, and Kingda Ka

Roughtest Wood = Gwazi

Mike

Giga Poster

For roughest steel, I'm going to have to go with Vortex at California's Great America. It's like you're in a boxing match against Mike Tyson, only Tyson is the restraints. Not only does your whole body hurt after the ride, but you feel like your ear needs to be amputated as well. Utterly awful ride. Iron Wolf isn't that much better, but Vortex just takes it.

For roughest wood, joint second place goes to Rebel Yell and Hurler at Kings Dominion. Hurler remains my bottom coaster overall, but the roughest woodie goes to Melbourne's Scenic Railway. Sure, it has an excuse as it's over 100 years old, but Christ almighty what a heap of **** this ride is. It felt like the wheels were rectangular, your knees smack into the bar every second and your spine takes a mauling too.

The smoothest woodie goes to Balder for me. The train glides around the track effortlessly for a silky-smooth ride. Steel is a harder choice, as there's so many "smooth but meh" rides out there, but I'll plump for Shambhala I think. No roughness whatsoever. :)

njn63

Mega Poster

Smoothest wood - El Toro
Smoothest Steel - X Flight
Roughest wood - Rolling Thunder (SFGAdv)
Roughest steel - any Arrow with a corkscrew

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

Smoothest Wood- Boulder Dash
Smoothest Steel- Bizarro
Roughest Wood- Thunderhawk or Cyclone @ SFNE
Roughest Steel- Mind Eraser @ SFNE

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

^Cyclone at SFNE isn't that bad now that it has the RMC topper track.

Roughest wood = Son Of Beast
Roughest steel = El Condor
Smoothest wood = El Toro (SFGAdv)
Smoothest steel = X-Flight / Patriot
I also remember Manta & Cheetah Hunt being extremely smooth, so perhaps a four way tie then.
I haven't ridden blue fire since the year it opened, but isn't it still silky smooth as well?

BBH

Giga Poster

The Miner Mike thing was me lying entirely. The double-corkscrew on Demon had me wailing.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Smoothest steel - Canyon Blaster at Adventuredome. Seriously, in the sea of rough as all hell Arrows, this is a rarity indeed. It was near B&M smooth and had such a low amount of head banging that I was almost certain I was dreaming the first time I got off it.

Roughest Steel - Desperado at Primm. Oh. My. God. How does one evem enjoy the damn ride! It is all smooth until you hit the top of the first hill, then it just dies and continuously beats the dead horse....with you being the horse. The airtime hills, while looking like Magnums, **** suck. It needs torn down and destroyed. Now.

A close second is Shockwave at KD. Lift hill, Turn, Drop, Loop and hill going into the helix are smooth. Awesome so far. Now you enter the randomly banked 90° helix from hell and your spine feels like it has been thrown into

Smoothest Wood - A tie between Rolling Thunder at SFGAdv and Comet at Hershey. The only reason why Rolling Thunder is even nominated for me is all because of how I was sitting in the car itself during the ride. I could tell from the yelps of pain coming from my friend that the ride sucked balls. Comet was a very nice surprise. The handful of times I rode it were butter smooth and just overall fab.

Roughest wood - Beast. Its just.....ugh. The retracking was horrid as it made portions smooth and it was for nothing longer than a breather before you were being beaten all over again. It needs completely retracked with new trains....badly. Just plain, straight up yuck currently.

TilenB

Strata Poster

Smoothest - Raptor, B&M wingrider in first year of operation
Roughest - Volare in Prater, closely followed by Blue Tornado

Interestingly enough the smoothest and one of roughest coasters I've ridden are situated like 100m apart

elephant58

Hyper Poster

For me the roughest steel is Shockwave at Drayton Manor. It felt like my shoulders were dislocated throughout every inversion.

Smoothest steel for me is Thirteen. Vekoma Juniors I've found can be both very smooth and very rough.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Smoothest steel - Shambhala.
Roughest steel - El Condor at Walibi Holland.

Smoothest wood - Woodan at Europa Park.
Roughest wood - It was one of the woodies at Geauga Lake, either Raging Wolf Bobs or Villan. Can't remember which one but it **** hurt.

Lofty

CF Legend

Smoothest Steel: Shambhala - Completely butter smooth.
Roughest Steel: Maybe Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - This is actually a hard one. I've not rode any ROUGH steel coasters. But, I had some GREAT rides on this that weren't rough at all. They were in fact some of my favourite coaster experiences I've had. Only one or two out of like 15 or so were rough.
Smoothest Woody: Megafobia - The only smooth one I can think of...
Roughest - Either Magnus Collosus OR Stampida (post Kumbak **** it up).

Kebab

Giga Poster

Smoothest: Either AIR or Shambhala, you feel like you're gliding along those tracks.

Roughest: I'd say Blackpools Wild Mouse, but thats the kind of rough where you feel like you're seriously going to die. For roughest in general all over pain and discomfort, Stampida for sure, ouch.

spud

Roller Poster

Hows no one mentioned the Ultimate as the roughest coaster? Got to be the worst of any ride, still got to love it though.

As for smoothest i'd have to say air.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Smoothest - Raptor, Gardaland
Roughest - Magic Mountain, Gardaland.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

roughest steel - baco - just ow!
roughest wood - Bandit (movie park) - shakes so violently throughout you think you're gonna chip a tooth! (closely followed by CPs mean streak)

smoothest wood - Collossos at Heide Park
Smoothest non inverting steel - Silver star
Smoothest inverting steel - either a b and m floorless or blue fire

10WaTT

Hyper Poster

Smoothest Steel: Raptor, Gardaland or Blue Fire, Europa Park.
Smoothest Wood: Wodan, Europa Park.

Roughest Steel: Vonkaputous (Water Coaster at Linnanmaki). As soon as we hit the water my head jolted forward and I cut my mouth open on the bar! Also special mention to the Volare at Sarkanniemi.
Roughest Wood: Gwazi, Busch Gardens Tampa. Came off with a bleeding elbow!