What's new

What is a barrel turn?

BigBad

Mega Poster
What is a barrel turn (of Fury 325 fame)? I've seen what the element does, but what does it have to do with a barrel or barrel roll? Has the term been used before? I've wondered this since Fury was announced.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Moved to Q&A.

A barrel turn in Fury's instance appears to simply be a "high speed turn". This is juxtaposed with the traditional B&M hammerhead turn for other hypers, where the turn is a 180 degree maneuver where the train enters into a steep pitch, with a turn at the top of the element. (As seen below)

wwww.jpg

34605818223846f11065_1.jpg

Compared to Fury's barrel turn, this element is less pitched, and far more convex:

Headers.jpg

A similar element is on Leviathan after its first hill as well - though CW only calls this a "high speed turn"

Leviathan-image-2.jpg

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
I believe Leviathan's turn was actually called a barrel roll when it first came out. I think parks are just running out of ways to make coaster elements sound cool (though the element itself is fab).

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^Storm Chaser "invented" 3 elements I think. Off Axis Airtime Hill, Corcked Roll, and Barrel Roll Down Drop. There's probably another one(or two), but I think there's going to be "new" elements for many years.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
^Storm Chaser "invented" 3 elements I think. Off Axis Airtime Hill, Corcked Roll, and Barrel Roll Down Drop. There's probably another one(or two), but I think there's going to be "new" elements for many years.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
A lot of RMC's 'invent' elements.

BigBad

Mega Poster
Hyde said:

Nitro and Diamondback at the top, right? Do you have an overhead view of Fury? I'd like to see how much the turn yaws by the time you exit, but Google doesn't have a recent picture of Carowinds!

I'd call Leviathan's hill an overbanked turn. It doesn't seem at all like Fury's turn, but it does seem like Millennium Force (though more of a 90* turn than a 180).

I'm glad to hear that the term appears to have been made up for Fury. When I first heard of the ride, the term was used and I thought I missed something.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You can look to the concept renderings for a better layout.

On further investigation, it does appear the element is a 180 turn around as well - the turns into and out of the element make it appear to be a broader turn.

Fury325%20layout.jpg

Start the video at 1:45 for the barrel turn:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NZDfLqT_A[/youtube]

Jerry also has a live shot of Fury 325 in the barrel turn starting at 4:37:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0pa4BpU9XI[/youtube]