What's new

What counts?

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Hyde244 said:
If you have to ask, it probably isn't.

This... A million times this...

If you have to argue why it is a coaster because it apparently 'technically' coasts for 2 seconds in the ride duration then it quite simply isn't one...

Martyn B

CF Legend
Ben said:
They're "sold" as coasters, by Mack and by the parks, whereas no-one sells the Intamin things as coasters.

That's the line.

Fair point. Though I thought Supersplash's were sold as chutes?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
I count anything that involves extreme and abrupt changes as a roller coaster ;)
You so need my driving cred!

Obviously it comes down to personal preference and common sense. I go by three rules:
1. Is it advertised as a coaster?
2. Does it have track?
3. Does it FEEL like a coaster?

I count:
Powered coasters (as the name says, they are coasters)
Toboggans (like the one at Efteling because it has cars, but not proper single person alpine toboggans)
Mack water splashes (they have track)
Mobius coasters as 2 (they are designed as two separate rides with different queuing systems)
Droomflucht (difficult I grant you, but when I got on it I said to myself 'why is this not on RCDB?')

I don't count:
Log flumes (they are flumes)
Boats on strings (not that I've been on one)
Cars, boats, swings, jumping off tables...or anything else Ben has done :wink:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Avalanche:
a) sold as a bobsled coaster
b) has a coaster train
c) manufacturer controlled thrill
d) upwards sections

It is one of those mildly vague ones, like those butterfly things though for individual bobsled carts.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
My amateur definition of a roller coaster:

Any theme park ride which RELIES ON MOMENTUM for a car/passenger platform or w/e to COAST along a set track. Hence the term, roller COASTER.

Like, for instance - some may argue that Superman: Krypton Coaster isn't a "real" coaster. Imo it is b/c it consists of a car and uses momentum to pitch it up a set (and stationary) track. So what if it isn't a complete circuit. Shuttle thrill-ride? How about a shuttle COASTER/roller coaster.

STC

Mega Poster
I think a good rule that decides between the bobsled coasters would be: any ride where the passengers can directly control the speed is not a credit. Rules out all Alpine Coasters and Oakwood-style bobsleds but not the proper "coaster" bobsleds, including Efteling's.

I wouldn't count Dreamflight because I don't remember it ever coasting up-hill at any point, just that downwards controlled-speed helix. It just doesn't feel right to count it. If we're counting that, you could even count Pirate Adventure at Drayton Manor.

I always wonder why people and the RCDB don't count Disk-Os as coasters though. Yes they're powered, but so are powered mine trains. They they have to lateral turns, but neither do Butterflys or Pipelines. They definitely coast uphill and downhill, just like any powered mine train does.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Bobsleds ARE creds, as they go out from a station up a chain lift and then coast down a track like a coaster. The brakes on them are just trims really except you choose when to put them on.

And also, The Squirrel nutty is not a cred as all it does is go round a flat track with only a small hill which doesn't change the speed at all.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ahh but lots of bobsleds don't have lift hills, they require you to carry your sled up on a ski lift, or are just powered the whole way round.

Ben

CF Legend
Thekingin64 said:
And also, The Squirrel nutty is not a cred as all it does is go round a flat track with only a small hill which doesn't change the speed at all.

Except for when it speeds up and slows down.

If you're gonna count Bobsleds...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Thekingin64 said:

Except for when it speeds up and slows down.

Since when has it done that? I can only remember it going at one really slow speed with now change ion speed at all. Therefore I do not count it.

For the bobsleds, I only count ones with a complete circuit like at Llandudno ski centre.(even though I have only been on the one at the ski centre.

Ben

CF Legend
Thekingin64 said:
Since when has it done that? I can only remember it going at one really slow speed with now change ion speed at all. Therefore I do not count it.

Since forever, you obviously just weren't paying enough attention!