What's new

Weston super Mare to Get a Disney?

Swat

Hyper Poster
DISNEY World in Florida and other famous theme parks are set to be contacted to see if they could help Weston become 'a major international attraction'.

North Somerset councillor David Pasley has asked authority officers to get in touch with the place 'where dreams come true' to see if its managers might consider setting up in town.

He has also suggested that Weston should have a new marina or harbour, similar to that in Portishead, the town he represents.

Cllr Pasley, who is vice-chairman of the scrutiny panel that looks at economic development, said: "It would bring prosperity to the town and would provide a base on which a new marina development could be built.

"It would attract new people to the area and encourage visitors and holidaymakers.

"Weston is ideally placed to facilitate a new harbour and marina, where access to the Bristol Channel is as good as it gets and closer to the open sea than any other point along the English side of the Bristol Channel.

"Weston has a lot of flat open land which would lend itself to a theme parks."

Cllr Pasley says Weston is an ideal candidate for a theme park, as it has good motorway, rail and airport links with the rest of the world.

He added: "A theme park would make Weston a major international attraction and would lift it above many seaside resorts in the UK.

"In order to attract new employment in the area I think we need to think outside the box.

"It may seem very ambitious, but I firmly believe we must set our sights high.

Link: http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/c...ory=znews&itemid=WeED10 Mar 2010 15:44:33:897

Ollie

CF Legend
As unlikely as this is I want it to happen. If it does though I definitely want it to have a Terror of Tower and Space Mountain similar to the one in Paris. :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Not exactly the most glamorous place in the world to have a Disney is it?

We didn't get it before either so.............

Would be great for a UK Disney but Weston-Super-Mare? Nah...

Rob

Mega Poster
And while they're at it, why don't Rhyl council contact universal :roll:

I think I should do it, I'd make the place brilliant. :p

A

Anonymous

Never going to happen - if they build a park in the UK i'll eat my computer.

Swat

Hyper Poster
I think someone like Merlin would be a more reasonable choice insted of asking Disney. We has a massive space of flat land which is the old airfield (Just across the road from me) Which is where It will most likely be proposed seeing it has a duel carriage way direct from the M5. Noise would be the issue with it being there. We has a few little parks (Brean leisure and Crealy) near Weston but there isn't much in the way of a big park well I guess the biggest park down south will be the likes of Flambards. Who wouldn't love a park close to them? If a park would come to Weston it won't be a Disney park. The people at Disney will have a nice chuckle when they get the letter. I don't know if I would want a massive park across the road from me. Traffics bad enough as it is.

Gangster4Life

Mega Poster
Are we forgetting something :?: If this gets built the animal rights activists won't be happy because Minnie and Mickey will get raped by the local chavs. :shock:

And the locals will complain about a giant pink castle. :shock:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Personally I think whoever wants this 'Disneyland' built has absolutely no clue into the working of Disney and their parks. A disneyland will NEVER get built in the UK. They picked france over England and I seriously doubt they'd even consider building a second resort in the EU.

They have Paris to sort out first, and when they do, they'll expand that resort rather than building a new one. There just isnt enough of a market here that Eurodisney doesnt cover already. With all their resources pooled into Shanghai and Hong Kong at the minute I doubt they will be considering a new resort anywhere on this side of the world. India maybe.

Swat

Hyper Poster
A Dragster ride is still down to go on the pier according to leaflets but I don't think it will be much more then a simulator. A theme park for Weston has been in the mind's of the council for a long time but I think Disney is the last thing that will ever happen.