What's new

West End Live 2009

peep

CF Legend
I've been to this free event in London's lovely Leicester Square for the past 3, maybe 4 years. So I had to go again this year. Patrick (Mission 2), Ben and Neal were all planning on going to so we organised to meet at Waterloo at 9:20 (that's 1 hour 40 mins before the first act).

As I got off the train at Waterloo East station I was greeted by Ben who seemed very excited about the event we were heading to. We met Patrick about 5 mins later in Waterloo. Unfortunately there was no sign of Neal, we did wait ages but we decided that he must be unable to make it. So we left Waterloo at 10 and walked over to Leicester square.

What we saw when we arrived nearly gave us a heart attack. There was a massive queueline of peeps waiting to get into the gardens where the stage is. I don't think I can actually describe the epicness of this queue enough to give you a good idea of it, I mean it even put Thorpe to shame.

The first act, Hairspray, began at 11 and so we started to dread if we were even going to get in as we neared the gardens about 10:50. Luckily we got in before 11 but we were right near the back and had stupid peeps standing in front.

Hairspray was cool but they only performed one track :(. Nice way to start the day though.

The second act was 'Been so long' which was boring.

Then someone from Wicked came on stage to perform a track from the show, crowd went nuts. Annoyingly the woman was not in costume and it all felt cripe.

Dirty Dancing was next and as Patrick pointed out, there wasn't much dancing, the songs were good cheesy Sunday tunes.

Then it was the King and I, they performed one of the lesser known songs much to the disappointment of the crowd.

Yay it was then time for Oliver! They only had Nancy sing her main song but it was better than no Oliver! presence.

The show was really starting to pick up and the crowd were getting louder, such a great atmosphere. Though the "Now watch our entertaining screens" for the breaks was already starting to grate, we weren't even half way through!

Sister Act! So awesome, I think everyone was like "I want to go see this now" after that performance. I overheard the previously mentioned idiots say "Oh look Whoopi Goldberg", fools.

I bet you're wondering why I hate these peeps in front? It's all because they continuously got in the way of my filming and in some songs talked so loudly it ruined my recording :(

We will rock you was up next and was definitely the second best thing today. They were on stage for like 14 minutes and performed such awesome songs like "We will rock you", "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We are the champions". The crowd loved it and peeps sang along (including us 3, well, I mimed the words :p). Awesome, awesome, awesome performance (apart from Killer Queen, she was terrible).

Priscilla Queen of the desert was next which was fun.

Then Chicago came on, lol. Before they were even introduced on stage the crowd started chanting "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry" as Jerry Springer is now in the show :p Was fun. Their performance was also great, they also did a 15 min set.

Up next was Jersey Boys (musical about the four tops). It was great fun, they really knew how to get the crowd going and the songs were brilliant (never knew much about the four tops). Loved it.

Thriller Live was next and we weren't expecting a lot. It was meh.

Next was something I didn't know much about, Forbidden Broadway. It's basically a comedy which has a satirical look at the big Broadway shows. At first I wasn't convinced but it really got good. Mainly because they had an elephant made out of towels :p

Sylvia Young school thingamajig was next. They were creepy, boys should not be allowed to do such things with their legs. It made me feel like a peado *shudders*. They could really sing though.

Tom Tom crew were next (na, wasn't a bunch of sat navs). I enjoyed them but then again I like beatboxers (whereas Ben and Patrick don't).

Next was my fav bit of the whole day (kinda). It was time for Little big club!! Haha, it was funny. Loads of random kids characters come on stage and do a song then go away again. It included a very Welsh Fireman Sam, Bob the Builder (who was teaching the kids techno dance moves lol), Fifi the odd thing and some sort of ballerina rat? Good times. Patrick and Ben also sung along to Barney's song much to my amusement.

So Jest End. Lame.

AVENUE Q! This is what everyone wanted to see. You could also tell the crowd was 99% fans. Everyone was singing along and everything, it was so amazingly awesome. I will be posting a vid or two of their performance because they are so great.

Zanna, Don't =wtf?

London Gay Men's chorus = LOL

An old friend of mine then bumped into me and stayed with us for the rest of the afternoon, was very random.

Too close to the sun = Not close enough

Faithless Bitches = ZZZZZZ

KB Fusionnaires = ok blues/jazz group

La Cage aux Folles. Was good.

Stomp, loud and cool as usual.

Great day, just a shame I was so tired (the others noticed this on several occasions). I loved the atmosphere though and loved me and Ben getting all hyped up about the 1 second clip in the Potter trailer of Helena Boham Carter, good times. My body hurt so much though from standing all day, filming didn't help this. I'm still sorting video stuff but here is Barney :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoNOHV9VgvM[/youtube]

Ben

CF Legend
I'll just post a link to the Facebook album... I HOPE it works...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=122439&id=655017844&l=bd8cd509a9

And, just my two favourites, the most beautiful man ever...

4840_114379047844_655017844_2959092_1226197_n.jpg

And him pulling the face I would love to make him pull...

4840_114379057844_655017844_2959093_3122404_n.jpg

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
He looks like Hoyer if he presented a kids TV programme.

peep

CF Legend
Avenue Q clips are now online!

Unfortunately they are uber shaky (well I'd like to see how you film stuff after holding a camera up for about 3 hours, also tried to avoid some annoying dudes head) and occasionly the sound goes turd (either because of a sh*tty helicotper or their sound system went cripe (it did it quite a lot throughout the day)).

Anyways I hope you enjoy a little bit of Avenue Q.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nuiavf_RgI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKWY76pSUo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nXfDMWGfa8[/youtube]

EDIT: Just uploaded part of the We will rock you set, Bohemian Rhapsody, enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWondBIM5Jc[/youtube]

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Dammit, Can't Believe the one I miss has Forbidden Broadway in it, Some of the songs they do are awesome!.. Sounds like you guys had a good time, sorry I couldn't make it.