What's new

Well, I never knew that!

nealbie

CF Legend
I remember the model used to be at Chessington on display for guests. But had Thorpe Park plastered all over it, I've always looked back and thought it was brilliant advertising - but I'm intrigued as to the validity of it being intended for Chessington, as like Rita it's a very specific size/footprint which Chessington doesn't have the room for, even in 2000/2001. It's literally a perfect fit from end to end and across from X to the lake at Thorpe. Hmmmm =/

CMonster

Giga Poster
Maybe just the idea for a multi-looping coaster was tossed around for Chessington? Then the idea went to Thorpe, where they settled on the layout, area, ect?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Not sure how public knowledge these are but Disney's AK was supposed to have a mythical creature section called Beastly Kingdom. The Dinasour section of the park was supposed to have a Upscale Wooden Coaster. Disney's Hollywood Studios was supposed to have an entire area dedicated to the Muppets but the plan's never went through as right when the deal was supposed to be signed Jim Henson passed away and the deal fell through.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Gemini at Cedar Point was originally intended to be built at Valleyfair!, which receive Excalibur instead.

The logo used for Steel Force at Dorney Park was originally intended to be used for Banshee, the first proposed name of Cedar Point's stand up roller coaster Mantis.

steelforcelogo.jpg

Banshee.jpg

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Turbine, the well known Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop Coaster was actually ment to be built in an amusementpark in Japan. However, the park went bankrupt pretty soon after and Eddy Meeùs, founder of Walibi Belgium went to Schwarzkopf trying to buy the coaster for Walibi Wavre. Schwarzkopf said that if Eddy Meeùs would open this rollercoaster in his park, he would have about 300.000 extra visitors to Walibi.

The total cost of the rollercoaster was 75.000.000 Belgian francs. Walibi payed 45.000.000 in advance to Schwarzkopf. Schwarzkopf himself started a bet with Walibi: if the park wouldn't have 300.000 extra visitors that year, he did not have to pay the extra 30.000.000 Belgian francs. If he did get 300.000 more, he had to pay the full price. Luckily for Eddy Meeùs, the park did not recieve 300.000 visitors extra, making Sirocco one of the cheapest rollercoasters ever to be built in the park.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Some Disney Facts:

Mickey's Toontown Fair at Magic Kingdom was built as a filler land because they didn't have anything to fill the property where 10,000 Leagues under the Sea used to stand (until it was torn down). The theme was only supposed to last 4 years while something new was designed but ended up being permeant.

The idea for Matterhorn Boldsleds at Disneyland started when Walt wanted to have a toboggan ride with real snow down a hill the was previously being used to support the Skyway to Tommorrow land.

The animatronic Yeti inside of Expedition Everest costed more to build and design than the actual track layout of the ride.

Dragon Challenge (Duelling Dragons) was original designed (as an idea not the actual B&M layout) in Animal Kingdom (in the Beastly Kingdom) but when Disney did some budget cuts and laid of some of their Imagineers they brought the idea to Universal.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^Thank you, I think if an Imagineer took a previously submitted idea from Disney to USF, they'd be out of a job, quick as a wink. Probably be sued, on top of it.

Waffleman

Mega Poster
Ben said:
^That isn't even remotely close to true...
Oh dear, yeah I got that completely wrong. Kingda Ka is the tallest rollercoaster, which is the 37th tallest manmade "type of structure" in the world.

So... that doesn't really mean anything, sorry.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
The website doesn't say anywhere that it is spelt like that. Nor does the map.

Until I check it for myself March 17th at the park, I'm presuming your wrong.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Please dont start spamming up this thread with Thorpe garbage, this is actually quite an interesting thread.

marc

CF Legend
The Flying Fish was originally Space Station Zero and had over head restraints. Not sure if many people knew that.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Thekingin64 said:
The website doesn't say anywhere that it is spelt like that. Nor does the map.

Until I check it for myself March 17th at the park, I'm presuming your wrong.

That's because park areas no longer have defined boundaries on the map - only references are made to the old areas. But it's definately Calypso Quay.

2007.jpg

There's also a sign, walking towards Amity Cove from Ranger County stating in big bold writing: 'Welcome to Calypso Quay'.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'm wrong then. Wasn't sure anyway.

marc, Knew about the Space Station thing but never knew about the OTSRs.

Mike T

Mega Poster
Okay enough of the Thorpe Park garbage...

In regards to 20K Leagues - Disney left one of the show building' walls up so they could label the mermaid ride a refurbishment of an existing structure.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^Agreed Disney has much better secrets

Matterhorn has a basketball court built inside it for employees to use on break.

Garbage at Magic Kingdom is emptied by staff and then put into a pipe which shoots it at 60 mph to a disposal unit.

The Magic Kingdom Parking Lot has 6 of the 7 dwarfs from Snow White given a lot name! There is Sleepy, Dopey, Happy, Grumpy, Bashful, and Sneezy. No Doc! Doc was not included because while naming the sections in the world's 3rd largest parking lot, the designers were afraid people might get the Boat Dock and the Parking Lot "Doc" confused.