What's new

Wardley's best work?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Out of the attractions that John Wardley has been involved with, which is the best and why?

Nemesis? Psh... I'm gonna say Air. I think Air represents the most successful concept ever realised in the industry. Back when Nemesis was being built, John spoke of the B&M invert as being "the closest thing to flying" (or something along those lines). Years later, John's obvious obsession with seeking that sensation of flight was realised. Air does exactly what it says on the tin, and whilst it might not be the best coaster in the world, it's such a fantastic concept that does what it was intended to do.

Ben

CF Legend
Air really doesn't feel like flying whatsoever. Tatsu does <3 If I was to fly, I'd go higher than 10ft off the floor.

The best thing he has ever worked on is well Dragon Khan.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Brad said:
...and the flying coaster concept had already been invented with Vekomas' - Flying Dutchman

This is an arguable point...

It's entirely possible that both Vekoma and B&M (with John) cooked up their ideas at the exact same time, just Vekoma got theirs out first whilst B&M kept on it and then made it much better...

For the pure technological side, Air is a very good creation... But on the overall package, Nemesis is certainly up there...

Let alone some of his other creations at Towers (Haunted House, Runaway, etc)...

Ben

CF Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Brad said:
...and the flying coaster concept had already been invented with Vekomas' - Flying Dutchman

This is an arguable point...

It's entirely possible that both Vekoma and B&M (with John) cooked up their ideas at the exact same time, just Vekoma got theirs out first whilst B&M kept on it and then made it much better...

It had already been invented BEFORE the Flying Dutchman coasters as well remember...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The flying concept is older than any coaster that claims to be a "flying" coaster if we're going to argue about which was first. Like I said, to Wardley at the time, Nemesis was as close to flying as you could get on a ride...

jayjay

Giga Poster
Obviously Nemesis is fantastic (imo) and the design given the constraints on the layout is brilliant.

Oblivion acutally stands out to me as a great ride by Wardley. Although I'm not a great fan of the ride (it's good fun but that's it) but I like the work put into making it as intimidating as possible. You have the queueline videos and the scenery in the queueline and then the slow crawl to the top of the lift hill. I think the ideas for Oblivion basically went along the lines of "we've got a ride that drops and that's it, so we'll draw as much attention to that drop as is humanly possible.

But I think the best thing John Wardley did was Hex. Though I'm sick to death of the preshow, you've got to admit, the ride has just the right atmoshphere. The soundtrack (although not anything to do with John) is absolutely brilliant and there's plenty of detail in each of the rooms. Everything in the ride works together to create a really unique and memorable ride.