What's new

Walibi Belgium removes Vertigo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
Although it looked a bit weird, it did, to me, look like a very interesting ride... shame that it was plagued with so many problems...

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Since yesterday noon, the last part of Vertigo has been removed from the park. We can now say the ride is completely removed from the park.

The park keeps saying they are still looking for a new ride to replace Vertigo.

Karen

Hyper Poster
I'd post my youtube vid that I made with this great coaster on but yes you've guessed it................it's been deleted!

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Thats a shame Karen, please enjoy mine :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_U4mm2PGU&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Yeah, the flappy feeling was great, the video is sad though :(

I must look out the offride footage I have, including part of an evacuation!

Aaron

Hyper Poster
Hot Damn.

This is one of those rides that I look at and think "wow - that looks like fun" and I am absolutely gutted I didn't get a chance to ride. True it would have probably scared the living daylights out of me, but I would have given it a go all the same...

It's a shot in the foot for innovation which is a real shame...

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
I must say I'm not that sad to see it go. First of all it was a HUGE iron thing that crossed one of the most beautiful part in the park. Plus, it was announced as a new ride for 2006 and it opened officialy in 2008, with some 'soft-rides' in 2007. And than the HUGE media-campagne for Vertigo in 2008, with a great TV-commercial and the opening event with Jean-Claude Van Damme, which was in the news across the whole world. In my eyes, at this moment, a big waste of money.

The ride did look spectacular, but it really wasn't that special to me. I have queued about an hour and 30 mins to get on the ride. The lift was special and alot of fun, but that was it. The rest of the ride I found was pretty boring, slower that it looked and the wind passing by was painfull to my ears...

I just hope they will find a great rollercoaster to replace Vertigo. It would be nice if they keep the same theme as Vertigo, which is flying. A flying coaster in Belgium? Looks pretty nice to me!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
And seeing that Walibi Belgium is a sort of Vekomaland a Vekoma Flyer would be a nice addition to their coaster line-up.

I am sure WB will try to put something BIG in the park after removing two of their major rides: Vertigo and Turbine.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Last wednesday, the park had a try out for the actual season that starts sunday. As you can see on the pictures underneath, Vertigo is all gone...

10.jpg

The massive concrete footers...gone!

11.jpg

Except for this white gate, nothing reminds us of Vertigo.

12.jpg

It aint no dream...it's really gone!

Pictures by http://www.walibi.net

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Yesterday at the season-opening in Walibi Belgium, some members of Walibifans.be had the chance to have an interview with the new General Manager of the park: Fernando Medroa.

Mr. Medroa announced that Walibi Belgium is now officialy looking for a new attraction to replace Vertigo. They still don't know what ride it will be, cause it will depend about Turbine's future!

Anyway...a new rollercoaster for Walibi Belgium in 2010? Let's all hope this is true, cause the last rollercoaster built in Walibi Belgium was Loup-Garou and Cobra in 2001.

suryavl

Roller Poster
KristofWB said:
but the park is already looking for a ride to replace Vertigo!
How about an Intamin Mega or Accelerator :D Now that would get me to visit the park again. They should stop plopping down Vekoma's that's for sure!

They already have a shuttle, an inverted a wood and a family coaster, so the only intelligent way to do something different is Intamin or B&M. Their partners in the Netherlands got that right when they built Goliath.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Technically, it was Six Flags who built (as in, made someone build) Goliath, but I see your point. I don't think that ride has done much bad for the park.

Now, I too hope that the park gets another major ride. I bet they have some leftover money somewhere, and i bet they'll check the next coaster for reliability before purchasing.

However, as far as I know, Vekoma is the company that's most famous for being notoriusly reliable, so we may see even more from that direction. But B&M are also know for not breaking down in a slight breeze, so there is a possibility for a ride from them too.

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
Pokemaniac said:
^Technically, it was Six Flags who built (as in, made someone build) Goliath, but I see your point. I don't think that ride has done much bad for the park.

It may sound strange, but Goliath didn't do that good to Six Flags Holland at all. Six Flags thought that a big ride such as Goliath would give a bg boost to the number of visitors in 2002 when it opened. In fact, the number of visitors went down from 1.500.000 in 2001 to 1.000.000 in 2002. Pretty strange. And one year later, the counter stopped at 900.000 visitors.

However, I don't know what ride will replace Vertigo. I must say, the place where it will be located is pretty big and could, if done right, easy cover a B&M or any great ride. Nice thing to know is that Walibi Belgium has this strategy that new rides should answer these goals: they have to be unique, special and bring up the total expercience of the park. Anyway, after Vertigo we have learned that they are not afraid to invest in something that is never seen.

We'll see!

robbeal

Hyper Poster
There's a part of me that is disappointed to see Vertigo go. I think its the part of me that's been all the way into the station while it was being constructed, but never got to ride it.

The sensible part of me knows that it was a colossal, pointless waste of money in the end though, and the park'll be much better without it and focusing their attention on something that works!

suryavl

Roller Poster
Pokemaniac said:
However, as far as I know, Vekoma is the company that's most famous for being notoriusly reliable, so we may see even more from that direction. But B&M are also know for not breaking down in a slight breeze, so there is a possibility for a ride from them too.
You can indeed rely on Vekoma... to deliver very boring rides that don't run smooth at all.
My preference goes towards an Intamin or B&M mega or mega lite, or maybe something like the Maverick. Something that makes the park worth visiting. They won't see me again there unless they start offering rides you don't see everywhere (standard SLC's, Boomerangs, mine train coasters...).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
You can indeed rely on Vekoma... to deliver very boring rides that don't run smooth at all.

Yawn.

This topic is well and truly dead, seeing as the coaster in the topic title is long gone. If anyone wants to speculate on future coasters, start a new topic. Or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.