What's new

Walibi Belgium: Halloween Review!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
After two years, I thought it was time to visit Halloween in Walibi Belgium again. The event became so popular to the park, that the past 3 years the park had to close their gates because the maximum capacity of almost 25.000 visitors was reached. The event gets better and better every year. This year was the last year for "Monster Festival": a circus themed event that was lead by Draco, the owner of a circus with monsters and freaks. In the final show last year, Draco was being caught up in a cage by his evil and hiddeous step-mother Marva. She took over the Halloween event this year and she promised us the scariest Halloween in Walibi Belgium ever seen. She introduced herself on Facebook somewhere in september and she had over 300 fans over 2 days, reaching up to 6000 now!

testaffiche.jpg

Say hello to...Marva
The main character Marva made her entrance at the Main Street at the opening of the park. We arrived later, but she was sitting on a posh throne at the entrance gates of the park, screaming and yelling the most vulgar things to visitors. The lady is very rude, vulgar, hypocrit, loud and mean! Marva is a 80-years old woman that used to be a very good acrobat, but she was accused from killing her sister by cutting down wires, which made her sister fall into a lions cage. One sister lost an arm, the other one died. The horse trainer on the circus took revenge by making a horse kicking Marva in the face, making her even more ugly than she already was. She is now taking over the circus, trying to scare the hell out of people!

Underneath, I will describe the haunted houses in Walibi Belgium.

Clowns River:
The Intamin boat ride 'Gold River Adventure' is transformed into Clowns River, described as a creey boat ride that hides some very nasty and naughty clowns. The whole idea behind the ride is pretty okay, but the actual ride is pretty lame and not scary at all. The clowns do look mean and dangerous (remember Pennywise from It?), but all they do is shooting with air-presure guns and waterguns. At least one shocking moment, which was the non-moving clown with fake hands that suddenly jumps ahead of your boat. Walibi Belgium describes this ride as a familyfriendly haunted house. To us, it was more of a relaxing ride to have some rest.

Candy Fabrik:
This haunted house is located at Marva Land. As Walibi Belgium was very carefull with information about this one, we did not know what to expect. At the entrance, there is this huge 'Jack-in-the-Box' looking thing with an evil clown that is asking you with his fingers to come closer. When you arrive, you get -if you like- tons of candy. After that, you enter a labyrinth, crossing a very hairy old man saying that if you cross the labyrinth, you will reach the Candy Fabrik and a nice surprise is waiting for you. Candy Fabrik is a big tent that is themed like a concrete factory. The whole idea reminded me of the 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' movie, with some sort of Oompa Loompas walking around, looking like a combination of Jason Voorhees, the Teletubbies that walk like a pinguïn. At the end, everyone is treated on a Walibi keychain. Some few scare-moments with these Oompa Jason Teletubby Pinguin things.

Monster Circus...By Marva:
This ride is actually pretty big and is an actual walk-through, located in the Arabian building next to Cobra. The same building used to be an oriental themed dark-ride till it was closed by Six Flags in 2002. The entrance of the ride is pretty colorfull and happy, but also has something very threatening. Small groups of people are lead into the building and start, as the park describes it, a walk in their biggest nightmare.

The first part of the ride is called 'Freaks Museum', with portraits of really hideous creatures, such as a man with a gigantic lump on his face, a three legged woman, evil dwarfs, giants and a woman with a beard...that suddenly jumps out of the portrait.

Because a select group is inside the building, the actors do have the chance to creep the hell out of you. They follow you the whole time breathing down your neck, pulling you arms, making loud noised with chains and blocking every free exit there is. For example a forrest-themed room where the 5 actors litterally do haunt you through that forrest.

The scariest scene was the last one. You enter this room with very bright lights. You get blinded by the lights, but you see a fortune teller sitting on a table. The whole scène is filled with many puppets, mixed with real actors. Because of you being so blinded, you have no clue which one is fake and which one is real. Untill they all come to live, surrounding you, screaming down your face and pushing you to the exit.

Zoo TERROR:
This supposed to be the top of the bill from the haunted rides in Walibi Belgium. The information boards at the entrance said the adviced age for this ride was 16 years and older. The Zoo Terror is located in the building of Turbine, with the entrance for Zoo Terror at the former exit from Turbine. Again, they let you inside in groups from about 10 to 15 people. You have to wait in a small and claustrophobic looking corridor.

This very angry looking circus manager lets you into the freak show. Over the whole Turbine station, there are cages filled with very creepy and dangerous looking creatures. The whole thing looks very peacefull, with some of the animals petting you. A tape is playing, saying you can look around calm, but do not touch the animals or knock on their cages. All the sudden, the lights start flickering and you hear that electricity is going to fail. All the sudden, lights flash and fall out and a voice is saying NOT to move, stay calm and don't panic and the doors are locked so animals can not go outside. The animals and freaks inside the cages are going very wild, slamming against their cages which makes them escape. What follows is a HUGE chaos and hysterical situation with very agressive freaks actually attacking visitors.

In my opinion, this ride was going way to far in some kind of way for some visitors. You do get warned for the intense situation in the ride, but I think no one would expect that to happen. It is so very chaotic and loud by the pumping beats and the sound of chainsaws. The actors inside are all very agressive and loud, screaming to people, pushing them against cages, pulling legs (thank god not so hard people could fall), touching them in the face with gigantic octopus-like hands, pulling them inside cages in corner. Some visitors were actually really in panic, pressed against a wall close to the exit to get out of the ride. All together a VERY intense experience

A video from Zoo Terror in 2009:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqqgg6yfe0&feature=related[/youtube]

That was it! [/b]

Lofty

CF Legend
Great report. Thanks for the insider and detailed views, it's great for us Halloween fans.

I wanted to do Zoo Terror since I saw it last year :(

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
-lofty- said:
Great report. Thanks for the insider and detailed views, it's great for us Halloween fans.

I wanted to do Zoo Terror since I saw it last year :(

Thank you very much. Today, Halloween, the park had to close its doors at 3:00 PM because the maximum capacity of the park was reached (I think it's about 25.000 visitors)!

Other haunted houses in the park:

Monster Circus:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCok5ljil4[/youtube]

Candy Fabrik:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD9Qpm4Ud24[/youtube][/b]

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
For the second day in a row, Walibi Belgium had to close its doors because the maximum amount of visitors was reached. Two extra nocturnes will be held this week Thursday and Friday.

As usual, during the Halloween nocturnes, Walibi Belgium presented their Finale Show at the Walibi Theater, in front of the Loup-Garou:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXzTNtce2o[/youtube]

Lofty

CF Legend
Why are all of those mazes covered in fluorescent paint?

I think it's something to do with having a 'Circus Theme'. To have an easy carnival theme, simply paint items fluorescent and add a UV Light. Works a treat.

Thanks for adding those videos. The theming looks pretty fantastic I have to say!!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
-lofty- said:
Thanks for adding those videos. The theming looks pretty fantastic I have to say!!

They always try to do their best during Halloween, eventhough they have a very small amount of budget for Halloween. Walibi World for example recieves a large amount of money for their Halloween. Most of the theming they use in Walibi Belgium is from former dark-rides and even some stuff from Tornado, the Vekoma Corkscrew Coaster! Most of the Halloweentheming is done by the technical crew in Walibi Belgium themselve and not extern companies, such as Walibi Belgium!

But I think the best thing this Halloween in Walibi was Marva, the big boss of the Halloween Monster Festival. That woman was really rude and cheap. She always insulting visitors. Some of her quotes on the final day:

Throwing small bags of candy down:
"Yes, of course I took a dump on this candy and threw up in those little bags...anway, have a nice meal!"

On two blonde girls accidently passing by:
"Oh yeah well, being small and blonde is a handicap too!"

"Dear God, f*cking Belgians"

On Walibi Belgium:
"Have you done my Halloween attractions? No? It really is something else than this stupid commercial sh*it here in Walibi!

Talking to a guy down the balcony:
You paid entrance for this park but you didn't see my attractions? Retard!"

A woman is tripping:
"Very well done, madam"

A man and his daughter passing by, Marva is throwing candy:
For the little girl...and her father. At least I hope...maybe his not her father!"