What's new

Walibi Belgium: Back To 1993!

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
2010: Walibi Belgium. A park very well known, yet not special at all. But when we go back to the late '70's, 80's and 90's, Walibi was HOT.

The park, opened on July 26th 1975 used to be Europe's favorites and set the trend for many other parks in Europe. It was the first European park to introduced intense coasters by opening the first rollercoaster in Europe featuring an inversion. After being warned by Efteling and even Alton Towers about the fact that Tornado was the worst choice they could ever make, this Vekoma Corkscrew became a huge success and later on, Alton Towers opened an exact copy of that succescoaster. Efteling went one step further opening their 'SuperTornado': Python.

Walibi Belgium introduced Sirocco, the second launched coaster in Europe, Radja River, the biggest Rapid River in Europe, Calamity Mine (those days known as Colorado), the first European Mine Train Coaster (it opened before Big Thunder Mountain in Disneyland Resort Paris), the longest dark-ride in Europe (Tin Tin),...

This topic is ment to show everyone how Walibi Belgium looked like in its golden years, before Six Flags, StarParks and Compagnie des Alpes came buggin' in and was still a family company!

Walibi Belgium 1993

james6

Roller Poster
Seeing as Walibi Belgium was a park that I recently visited for the first time, it was great to see what it looked like years ago :)

Thanks. :p

KristofWB

Hyper Poster
james6 said:
Seeing as Walibi Belgium was a park that I recently visited for the first time, it was great to see what it looked like years ago :)

These really were the golden years for the Belgian themepark-industry. I remember that the two biggest parks in Belgium -Bobbejaanland and Walibi- were in this constant battle to open the most unique, highest, fastest rollercoaster or ride in Belgium. This gave us in Belgium new big rides on a yearly base. Too bad this period has ended and we only get some basic rides once in a while.

In an interview with the management from the park, they said that they wanted to return to Walibi's roots: having unique rides in their park. They tried it with Vertigo, but that went to be a huge flop in the first place. However, I'm curious to see what will happen in 2012, when it is rumored that Walibi will open a brand new BIG rollercoaster!