What's new

Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach to be refurbished for 2023

Dar

Hyper Poster
How have they removed the turntables and drop? Do you not go through the waterfall corridor and just turn left instead? How well do they hide the height difference the drop provided?

I'm assuming they've turned down the fire at end even more as well?

Like Sandman, Valhalla was one of my favourites at BPB and it's been sad seeing them cut costs every time I go back. It's especially annoying because the ride didn't *need* that much work, it just needed some love and attention.

It does make you wonder what Geoffrey Thompson was thinking spending £15 million on this back in 2000 (Around £26 million adjusted for inflation)
Not to mention that even the manufacturer tried telling him it was a bad idea cramming that ride system in that size space 😂

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Really weird the bad communication at BPB with regards to ride availability. Valhalla's refurb opening delay was blamed on Covid but now we are hearing that Big Dipper will not open till "later in the season / not this weekend", whilst the RCCGB club were going to have an ERS on it this coming weekend.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
I don't really know how to point it out any more, but the problems are coming from the wannabe interior designer at the top 👀
Would that be the same person I witnessed sat on the sofa at the entrance to the new shop the other morning, who was overheard being very complimentary towards the choice of music being played in said outlet?

I don't doubt classical jazz has its place in the world, just im not convinced the entrance to an amusement park at 10am is that place.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I've heard the term "hot ice" a lot surrounding the redo of Valhalla's cold room but what actually is "hot ice"? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.
It's BPB's figure skating show. It's Mands' baby, she's been in charge since it started in the '90s(?) and thinks it's the biggest, bestest, iciest ice show to ever be a show on ice.

How have they removed the turntables and drop? Do you not go through the waterfall corridor and just turn left instead? How well do they hide the height difference the drop provided?
Found a review on FB that isn't from a thoosie trying to get on media lists. The 1st turntable is still there, but the boat goes forwards down the old backwards drop and the 2nd turntable is no more.

Coastercal

Roller Poster
I've heard the term "hot ice" a lot surrounding the redo of Valhalla's cold room but what actually is "hot ice"? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Hot ice is the in park ice show at pleasure beach.

It gets a bit of a bad press amongst enthusiasts as being Amanda’s number 1 priority and interest even tho at the best of times it’s 10% a full up charge attraction.

It’s not a bad show by any means, but it’s of course not something most of us enthusiasts want to see investment in I’d say.

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
I've seen half of Hot Ice once in 2019.
It's good but quite adult themed with the costumes (or lack of) and the type of stuff you see. A very classic approach which probably has its audience but I don't think that audience comes to Blackpool.
Not sure Pleasure Beach still does the free matinee ticket thing but hardly anyone seemed to know about it at the time when I was there. Only 40 or so people in the audience on quite a hot day. The matinee was half the length of the full evening show. To me the matinee seemed long enough.
The music stood out since it's from the Notable Stranger. Pretty good.

Interestingly, my favourite park Pantasialand also has an ice show which is probably far better suited to the theme park / amusement park audience. Simpler, shorter, funnier and probably more relevant in this day. And importantly; no upcharge to see the full thing.

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
FWIW
Theme Park WorldWide in his review also points out the Angel / hot ice part and that it totally does not fit.

Also notes about the quiet audio during most of the ride. He doesn't like the soundtrack and says you can not hear it.

But he does mention some positives with new theming but it seems a bit hit and miss according to him.

He rates it 6.5 / 10

rob666

Hyper Poster
Hot Ice is a pet hate of mine.
Loved it as a kid, and it was rarely more than half full back then.
Now usually 90% empty.
Fantastic production, performance, music, lighting and costumes, but...
Must lose at least a million quid a year, if not double that.
Imagine all those losses, over the decades of it wasting money.
All those rides that could have been purchased.
But Mandy knows best, and will keep on burning the pound notes in her sandbox.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Valhalla was never that good anyway.

A dark ride of this sort needs to be memorable because of its sets, special effects, audio etc.

If it's too wet, you cannot focus on the scenes and you're constantly on edge about the next soaking.

I rode it a few times 10-15 years ago and the only thing I can remember is a couple of drops and getting annoyingly soaked.

They need to reduce the wetness.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Valhalla was never that good anyway.

A dark ride of this sort needs to be memorable because of its sets, special effects, audio etc.

If it's too wet, you cannot focus on the scenes and you're constantly on edge about the next soaking.

I rode it a few times 10-15 years ago and the only thing I can remember is a couple of drops and getting annoyingly soaked.

They need to reduce the wetness.

I disagree, but it's subjective ain't it.

I think Valhalla had plenty of memorable scenes - the initial lift hill with the ominous Odin head and barking dogs, the backwards drop section, the ice room, water vortex, the tesla coil/hammer effects and of course, the fire finale.

The problem was mainly consistency. I've had plenty of rides on it where everything worked, and it was glorious. Then again, I've had a load of evacs, missing effects and general tech issues.

I reckon the ridiculous wetness was part of the charm though. It made no sense that Blackpool had one of the wettest water rides, but they do say there is a fine line between genius and insanity. Just prepare for it and it's smooth sailing (relatively speaking).

Like The Ultimate at LWV, Valhalla is/was a fine example of British eccentricity. But it's probably had it's time now.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
I personally feel that the wetness could have been addressed during the closure period. Nobody appreciates getting soaked to the bone and the three times I've been on it, it was like being baptised.

I've been on it a couple of times but I refuse to do it now. A poncho can help a little bit, but when the boats fill up like a bathtub, it's game over.

I can't be the only one who doesn't like squelching around Blackpool when it's 15 degrees and windy!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I disagree, but it's subjective ain't it.

I think Valhalla had plenty of memorable scenes - the initial lift hill with the ominous Odin head and barking dogs, the backwards drop section, the ice room, water vortex, the tesla coil/hammer effects and of course, the fire finale.

The problem was mainly consistency. I've had plenty of rides on it where everything worked, and it was glorious. Then again, I've had a load of evacs, missing effects and general tech issues.

I reckon the ridiculous wetness was part of the charm though. It made no sense that Blackpool had one of the wettest water rides, but they do say there is a fine line between genius and insanity. Just prepare for it and it's smooth sailing (relatively speaking).

Like The Ultimate at LWV, Valhalla is/was a fine example of British eccentricity. But it's probably had it's time now.

My 2 cents here is even the evacs were part of the charm of the ride; for that one ride-through where everything worked and you were uninterrupted, it simply was the best water ride around.

I also thnik the sheer insanity of the level of wet you get was part of the greatness of the ride. I often visit BPB in June/July, the 2 weeks before schools break up, and if the weather is good, Valhalla is actually perfect for cooling down. I went one year and it was 35c all day; did Valhalla 3 times; was dry within half an hour of each ride.

A shame to hear the overwhelmingly negative reviews coming out of the community and Amanda's total nonchalance and lack of responsibility over the situation. I hope things can be done to get the ride back to a level at least similar to it's old character.

Matt N

CF Legend
I don’t think I have the fairest circumstances under which to review Valhalla, as I only ever rode Valhalla V1 once in 2019, not long before it closed for the revamp.

However, I must say that controversially, I wasn’t a fan. I’ll admit that some of the dark ride attributes were impressive (particularly some of the fire effects), I don’t deny that it’s a unique ride, and I don’t deny that the wetness is quite impressive from a certain standpoint, but I just found the sheer wetness of it so overbearing, and I struggled to enjoy it very much on that basis alone.

If I think about Valhalla, its dark ride attributes aren’t really the thing that stick out to me; my overriding memory of it is spending the whole thing being freezing cold and trying to brace for the next soaking. I agree with @Jamesss in saying that I struggled to focus on its dark ride attributes due to the sheer wetness of it. It was 30 degrees on the day I rode it, and I was pretty fried from having waited 2 hours in the sun to get on it, but I stepped off it shivering and with blue lips… I apologise if I come across a bit sensitive here, but I find that degree of wetness a bit much for my taste.

I’m aware that this is a side effect of the wetness, but I also didn’t find stepping into an ankle-high pool of standing water and getting wet from that before the ride even started especially appealing…

I understand why people like(d) Valhalla, but it wasn’t really for me, I’m afraid. To assess how much I enjoyed an attraction, I normally ask myself “is that an experience you’d like to repeat?”, and with Valhalla, I’m afraid that the answer for me was “not really”.

StevenX

Mega Poster
I've also never been a fan, and I'm quite surprised it has any fans at all if I'm honest.

I've been on it probably a dozen times over a number of years and have never seen a bunch of the effects, including the electricity stuff. Some rides are better than others, but many of them end up feeling like you're bobbing around in the pitch black for no reason for the most part - and when there is a show scene which is semi-operational, they're typically very underwhelming and look very cheap and plasticky.

The middle (I think) section with the various "booby traps" and ring of fire is probably the best part when things are working, and the final scene with the fireballs is impressive, but the rest can be pretty dull. And, as numerous others have said, it's just far, far too wet.

The reviews of Valhalla 2.0 from this week frankly make it sound like it always has been from my experience.

Cm94

Roller Poster
After visiting and getting to ride Valhalla 2.0, I was actually pleasantly surprised following the slew of negative reviews and comments. It is clear, however, that it really isn’t finished, especially the second part.

I actually enjoyed the changes I saw. The last time I rode was in 2019. I appreciate though why so many are disappointed. It really is not finished yet but it has the potential to be a fantastic ride imho.

The changes I actually enjoyed (that I saw were):
The new station is beautiful and when the mist effects are on, it is stunning. It even has a built in water suction system. Looks amazing. The darker paint job works.

-The first scene and lift; although the trommel tunnel was impressive and iconic, the new skulls look great and I thought the introduction and the way it is lit really worked well. I was impressed with the sheer size of the it when it was lit. I never realised as before it had always been pretty much pitch black.

-The Viking god at the top of the hill is a little more impressive now but wasn’t working. I imagine it will blow mist at you as you pass under.

- The more story orientated approach that is continued after the first lift hill. It seemed very dramatic and again there appeared to be an effect linked to the afterlife which wasn’t working. There was a light and a sudden noise which could be a broken effect.

-The change to the turntable. There is actually something happening. It was much more dramatic and imho better than awkward stopping, lurching forward, half a spin then backwards into windy darkness. Now you do go forwards with a few audio effects and a hidden surprise which caught me off guard. I enjoyed the changes.

-The addition of the ghosts/skeletons before the second drop (even though they were not working). If/when they can make these work it will be a great effect and will add to the darker tone.

The bits that weren’t so great:

-The numerous broken effects that were clearly broken. There’s a huge skeleton just after the second lift. You can see all its mechanics and rig but it’s… not working. This could be sooo good but it’s just static.

-Lots of missing structures. You can see LOTS of pipe work, mechanics etc. especially after the first big drop. It was like a whole section of wall has gone. You could see every pipe and water gushing everywhere. You could see the mechanics for the water vortex that was not on. On the second lift hill, you could see the full splash zone, structure etc. They had a translucent scrim on the hill which just destroys any sort of immersion.

-No water vortex or any fire at all. I can understand them trimming the fire down. And many will disagree with that. It was a big draw of the attraction agreed. The very last scene needs that fire 🔥 though. It was just underwhelming without it.

-The missing original EPIC soundtrack. It’s just too iconic and part of the ride to be without it

Like I say, just an opinion and probably not shared by many. But the Valhalla 2.0 is better than I initially expected BUT not finished and still has a long way to go to become a premium attraction once more

Coastercal

Roller Poster
Been at the park again today. Opened for around 90 mins. Then closed due to technical issues at around 1 hour before park close. Queue line ordered to empty and plenty of disappointed people asking questions at the ride entrance.

I’d say it was on a good 60-80 minute wait at this point. So plenty of guests had been waiting a good hour before being asked to leave the queue. Staff telling guests “due to technical rehearsals this is what can happen, it’s why the sign is here”.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Hot Ice is a pet hate of mine.
Loved it as a kid, and it was rarely more than half full back then.
Now usually 90% empty.
Fantastic production, performance, music, lighting and costumes, but...
Must lose at least a million quid a year, if not double that.
Imagine all those losses, over the decades of it wasting money.
All those rides that could have been purchased.
But Mandy knows best, and will keep on burning the pound notes in her sandbox.

Hot Ice worked a lot better, as did the parks other major productions, when they complimented the park, as apposed to working against it.

In the free entry days or PPR you could book a show, for 7.30, eat an evening meal on park, enjoy a ride or two, see the show and enjoy the park from 9.30/10pm after the show had finished.

These days, it either eats into your precious 6-7 hours of pre-paid ride time, or requires you to hang around south shore a couple of hours after park close with nothing to do between 5-7.30.

No wonder its take up is so bad.