What's new

Universal Studios Florida | Transformers ride

Gazza

Giga Poster
Re: Transformers ride | Universal Studios Florida

Arrrgh can everyone stop saying Transformers is a Spiderman clone...how about comparing some pov or riding before saying something blatantly wrong.

-Compare the size of the ride buildings on Google maps. Not the same.

-Compare screen order and turn order on the povs. .. both different. E.g. on spidey the first thing you face after turning out of tge station is a brick wall with the spider signal. On transformers you are at the first 3d screen already (ravage stealing the allspark from the robot arm ) . On spidey the second thing you face is the first screen of that ride (spideman jumping on your car)...Track then veers RIGHT towards the near miss with the garbage truck.
Meanwhile transformers the 2nd thing you face is the second screen (bumblebee racing in, fighting ravage to steal back the allspark. But after that the track turns LEFT towards the next scene.
I mean surely if there are clear differences like this in the first 20 secs alone, common sense tells you they aren't clones.

-Firstly, transformers is two levels high. They cleverly lift the car between floors by having it rise up on a lift platform in a half cylindrical shaped shaft. There is a projector on the back of the platform so the video image moves up the wall with you. The first
Same deal on the way back to ground level.
The lift up is happening in the scene where optimus says "Autobots, roll out!
The lift down happens when you fall of the tower with Megatron.
You'll notice in different povs that after the 2nd screen (bumblebee fighting with ravage) the car either just sides left away from the screen, OR does a 180 degree spin then slides along. This is because there are two lift shafts (I guess to keep capacity high) so tats the way they handle the split in the track without ruining sightlines.
Also there was a layout pic posted in this thread, so people should have seen this?

Both rides use different screens in different places...Spiderman only uses the big curved ones right at the end with the whole fight sequence up in the sky....only 2 such screens.

Transformers has 7 curved screens...4 in total for the scenes during the vertical lifts, plus 3 in the middle of the ride (getting sucked out of the tunnel by devastator and landing on the train tracks, the following screen where you chase after bonecrusher, then the 3rd screen after that where you get sucked through devistator and subsequently hooklined by starscream.

Whew that's probably enough for now...I swear it's because both rides begin with a hard left u turn out of the station that people think the rest of the ride is the same....

TLDR: Transformers is a two level attraction. Spiderman is one level (only at ground level)..... how the **** can they be clones????

Ben

CF Legend

Spite, I'm going in March so I'll blates miss out <//3

I mean, Transformers is the worst IP anywhere ever, but, still, spite.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I never said they were clones, but I have been on both and they are extremely similar rides, whether they are the same on paper is irrelevant, the rides are so close it's scary, all the memorable scenes in Transformers are the same as the ones in Spiderman, and in my opinion it's incredibly noticeable.

marc

CF Legend

I've seen a pov and I do see what you mean Jordan.

A lot of the public wont even notice though.

I'm looking forward to it if I'm honest as I'm more likely to do this one than California.

nadroJ

CF Legend

^I don't know about them not noticing, I mean, my parents noticed when I showed them the POV and I didn't even mention the similarities I was just showing them the ride!

Gazza

Giga Poster

nadroJ said:
^I don't know about them not noticing, I mean, my parents noticed when I showed them the POV and I didn't even mention the similarities I was just showing them the ride!
Many B&M multi loopers are very similar and seem that way when you ride, and I bet if you showed people videos of two they'd say it's the same thing.

Also, Here's an example of what i mean by there being a split in the track after the 2nd screen, but before the vertical lift screens, which results in the car doing a different movement between the scenes depending on wether it is taking the left or right lift shaft:

Just sliding to the left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oJRo#t=40s

Doing the 180 degree spin and slide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -Pg#t=100s

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Yeah, but to a lot of people a rollercoaster is a rollercoaster, so that point is kind of null.

All I'm saying is that I have ridden BOTH, not just sat at my computer screen and watched POVs, and they ride extremely similarly, and like I've already said, a lot of the scenes, especially the falling off the side of a building climax, are pretty much exactly the same, I wouldn't be surprised if they even used the same basic animation.

And like I've already said as well, I'm not saying that Universal Florida getting one is a totally bad idea, I just thought maybe they'd have something different and call it Transformers, but they haven't. It's still a **** awesome ride that any park would be lucky to have, but I feel like it's going to overshadow Spidey a bit which is sad because Spidey is awesome.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

C'mon it's better then the empty, run down, abandoned building that use to rot there. Yeah the rides are similar but so are Little Mermaid and Nema at Disney. Transformers will be an awesome ride and you are likely to do them on different days seeing as they are in two seperate parks.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Lol OK, obviously nobody is actually reading what I'm writing so I'll just shut up and wait until every other person has ridden BOTH and then listen to the criticisms of how similar the two are ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

I unerstand that and I am prepared for how similuar they will be. But what would you rather want, a empty, rotten building or a world class, thrilling attraction. It's better than nothing.

nadroJ

CF Legend

^or, mystery option number three, a completely new attraction that doesn't have any similarities to any other existing Universal attraction! Yay!

Ben

CF Legend

Gazza said:
Many B&M multi loopers are very similar and seem that way when you ride, and I bet if you showed people videos of two they'd say it's the same thing.

Maybe there's a reason the Studios don't also have a sit-down B&M multi looper?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I actually agree with Jordan. I think most regular visitors will respond to this by saying either it or Spiderman is a crap version of the other.

It's a weird choice. And I think a damaging one. I've heard its not AS good as Spiderman, and the fact the IP has less power will do nothing to make the Studios park seem less... Well, empty.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

nadroJ

CF Legend

^I don't know Joey, people seem to like Transformers and the ride itself was actually really epic. I *do* prefer Spiderman, mainly because of the soundtrack, but I felt Transformers really got my adrenaline pumping and I was excited to ride, despite the fact that I hate Transformers and I've never seen any of the Michael Bay films.

I just really thought they were going to call it Transformers but then build something different than what they have in Hollywood XD

Guess I'll just have to wait for Potter Phase 2 for some epic newness, and even then it's not entirely new because it's just an extension of an already existing land.

Urgh, lack of creativity <//3 Bring back Jaws already.

bmac

Giga Poster

That awkward moment when you still refer to that area as Amity instead of Diagon Alley...

marc

CF Legend

I'm actually bored of Spider-Man if in honest so that's why I'm looking forward to this.

Half the time the effects are not working and I've done the ride to death.

Yes it's good but I feel it's had it's day, just like most things in Marvel Land.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Joey said:
I actually agree with Jordan. I think most regular visitors will respond to this by saying either it or Spiderman is a crap version of the other.

It's a weird choice. And I think a damaging one. I've heard its not AS good as Spiderman, and the fact the IP has less power will do nothing to make the Studios park seem less... Well, empty.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
For what it's worth, I thought transformers was better.

nadroJ

CF Legend

I do think that if you compare them like for like, obviously Transformers is better because it's more updated, newer technology, etc, but if you compare them kind of on first impressions when comparing them to everything else that was around at the time they opened, I think Spiderman takes the cake.