What's new

Ultimate Team 2013 Addition

Darren B

Giga Poster
Following on from ATTACKHAMMER's your team topic, now simply put out your dream 11.

These are the best 11 players in their position from any team in any country.

Mine looks like this (4-2-3-1 Formation)

GK Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

RB Phillip Lahm (Bayern Munich)
CB Mats Hummels (Dortmund)
CB Vincent Kompany (Man City)
LB Leighton Baines (Everton)

CM Xavi (Barcelona)
CM Danielle De Rossi (Roma)

RW Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
CAM Mesut Ozil (Arsenal)
LW Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

ST Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PSG)

Bench:-

GK Marc Andre ter Stegan (Monchengladbach)
D Thiago Silva (PSG)
CM Ilkay Gundogan (Dortmund)
CM Bastian Sweinsteiger (Bayern Munich)
CAM Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
LW Andreas Iniesta
ST Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Very Similar to yours Darren

GK: Manuel Neuer (Bayern)

RB: Philipp Lahm (Bayern)
CB: Vincent Kompany (Man City)
CB: Thiago Silva (PSG)
LB: Jordi Alba (Barcelona)

CM: Xavi (Barcelona)
CM: Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern)

RW: Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
CAM: Mesut Ozil (Ars*nal)
LW: Christiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

ST: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (PSG)

Subs:

GK: Hugo Lloris (Spurs)
CB: Mats Hummels (Dortmund)
CM: Sandro (Spurs)
CM: Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
CAM: Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
WF: Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)
ST: Sergio Aguero (Man City)

Sandro I wasn't sure about, I personally don't rate any other DM ahead of him, but that spot could have gone to anyone like Javi Martinez, Xabi Alonso etc.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Similar again! But 4-4-2 diamond

GK - Manuel Neuer (Bayer Munich)

RB- Philip Lahm (Bayer Munich)
CB- Vincent Kompany (Man City)
CB- Gary Cahill (Chelsea)
LB- Jordi Alba (Barcelona)

RW- Messi (Barcelona)
CDM- Michael Carrick (Man United)
CAM- Mesut Ozil (Arsenal)
LW- Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

ST- Ibrahimovic (PSG)
ST- Tom Elliot (Cambridge United)

Darren B

Giga Poster
I love a good football discussion and it's nice to see some interesting picks from you boys, Jordi Alba at left back? He's actually awful! Aha, brilliant going forward but he couldn't tackle a dead horse.

I also love the fact we've all picked Ozil instead of Bale. Real Madrid have made a stinker by selling Ozil, who has always been a better player than Bale IMO.

And glad to see Casillas isn't in anyone's team, all the lads I chat football with rate him as the best keeper in the world. I think he's extremely overrated and makes endless mistakes, glad Mourinho saw sense and put him on the bench! He only got his reputation thanks to the 10 men in front of him, club and Country. Oh and lads, Neuer over Buffon? I take it you've never seen Buffon play. :p

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
^ Alba is a beast! Ozil is just something else, watching him is just wow! Neuer is just a tank! Have to say though I don't really watch a lot of the Spanish and Italian league, just see teams from them in the champions league.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I went with attacking fullbacks as Messi/Ronaldo don't stay out wide so the width will come from the fullbacks, Bastien would be dropping into a defensive 3 until they were back in position.
Baines is most definitely not the best LB in the world Darren, brain fart there i think :)
Buffon is teetering on the edge now, he's been fantastic in his career but any moment now he'll drop off the cliff, Neuer has many more years until he's at his peak and is already very formidable and would definitely be in most people's squad.
Lloris has the attributes to overtake them all, love his sweeper style, but he's not as strong as the other two so claiming from crosses/corners can be difficult.
Never rated Casillas, totally agree with you there.

Glad to see Bale is starting to come good, bit earlier than I expected to be honest. He will score for fun in the Spanish league, but he's no playmaker like Ozil.

Darren B

Giga Poster
If Baines isn't the best left back in the world then who is? Ok so if you're talking attacking fullbacks then I would choose from Alba, Marcelo or Alaba and would almost certainly agree with you on Alba I suppose, but Alba is a left winger turned left back, and I really don't rate his defensive qualities. For me the best left backs defensively in the world are Ashley Cole, Baines, Schmelzer and maybe even Vertonghen if he stays at left back (he won't), so then I pick the best defensive left back going forward over those 4 and I end up with Baines over Cole as the best left back in the world. That's my theory anyway.

Neuer I can't really disagree with you on, he's a great keeper, he's not as good as Buffon just yet, but like you said, Buffon can't go on forever and Neuer will take the crown. Watch out for Marc Andre ter Stegen though, if he moves to a bigger club in Germany, (I expect Dortmund to replace Weidenfeller with him) then he'll be a contender, he's only 21 and he's seriously good!

Agree with Bale too; he's a top lad and a greet footballer. I really hope he's successful in Spain.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Defensively then David Alaba, De Sciglio(sic) and i'll concede he still has a way to go being so young, and Schmelzer would beat Baines to that spot imo.
I think that if Baines keeps up his performances this year and Everton get into Europe then he could be starting XII material, but I think he's being hampered at the Toffees and would improve if he went to another team.

Or maybe it's the English in me thinking all English players are rubbish :)

Edit - Who plays defensive FB's anyway? Rubbish teams, top of the pile teams play attacking FB's with enough defensively. Point is null and void :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Dream 11 of players I've seen play in person, right?

Head coach - Helmut Schön

GK - Sepp Maier

D - Paolo Maldini
D - Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck
D - Guido Buchwald

D/M - Franz Beckenbauer

M - Lionel Messi
M - Cristiano Ronaldo
M - Johan Cruyff
M - Diego Armando Maradona

F - Gabriel Batistuta
F - Gerd Müller

Subs:
Goalkeepers - Peter Schmeichel, Dino Zoff, René Higuita
Defenders - Lothar Matthäus, Roberto Carlos, Klaus Augenthaler, Giuseppe Bergomi, Paul Breitner
Midfielders - Ronaldinho, Gennaro Gattuso, Dennis Bergkamp, Matthew Le Tissier, Günter Netzer
Forwards - Zlatan Ibrahimović, Ronaldo, Jürgen Klinsmann, Miroslav Klose, Eric Cantona

The only player that I would include would be Pelé, but I never got to see him on the field in person even though I have met him a couple of times.

Darren B

Giga Poster
ECG said:
Dream 11 of players I've seen play in person, right?

The topic was aimed at the current best 11 on the planet (as of 2013). However if we're doing best all time 11 we've seen play (TV or Live) then this would be mine:-

GK - Peter Schmeichel

RB - Cafu
CB - Fabio Cannavaro
CB - John Terry
LB - Roberto Carlos

CM - Michael Ballack
CM - Danielle De Rossi

RW - Lionel Messi
CAM - Cristiano Ronaldo
LW - Ronaldinho

ST - Ronaldo

Bench:-

GK - Gianluigi Buffon
CB/LB - Paolo Maldini
CB - Alessandro Nesta
CM - Paul Gascoigne
CAM - Andreas Iniesta
RM - David Beckham
ST - Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Head Coach :- Fabio Capello/Jose Mourinho/Jurgen Klopp

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Darren B said:
Following on from ATTACKHAMMER's your team topic, now simply put out your dream 11.

These are the best 11 players in their position from any team in any country.
In ATTACKHAMMER's your team topic:
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Basically pick the best team of players that preferably you have seen play for your favourite football team, any formation, can have subs if you want. Go!
No mention anywhere of current best 11 on the planet (as of 2013), but if those are the restrictions then:

Coach - Pep Guardiola

GK - Manuel Neuer

D - David Alaba
D - Mats Hummels
D - Thiago Silva

D/M - Philipp Lahm

M - Franck Ribéry
M - Lionel Messi
M - Cristiano Ronaldo
M - Gareth Bale

F - Robert Lewandowski
F - Zlatan Ibrahimović

Subs:
Goalkeepers - Iker Casillas, Rene Adler, Maarten Stekelenburg
Defenders - Giorgio Chiellini, Dante, Jan Vertonghen, Leonardo Bonucci, Neven Subotic
Midfielders - Mesut Özil, Mario Götze, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Bastian Schweinsteiger
Forwards - Edinson Cavani, Radamel Falcao, Luis Suarez, Arjen Robben

Darren B

Giga Poster
delpiero1982 said:
Darren B said:
CB - John Terry

I'm done with this thread, why ruin such a great discussion Darren :cry:

Quite simply the best defender I've ever seen, He's old school, never afraid to put his body on the line, can score goals, and he's a fantastic captain. Yeah he's a bit of a naughty boy off the pitch, but on the pitch, in his prime, he can't be faulted.

"Captain, Leader, Legend!"