What's new

Tulleys' Farm Shocktober Fest Update/Review 2015

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Seeing as no-one has done a Tulleys' 2015 review I thought I'd do a quick review/update from 2015.

So the park had 3 new scare mazes this year: The Chop Shop, The Colony and The Volt.
So the complete line up consisted of 8 mazes/attractions:

The Horrorwood Hayride
The Haunted House
Hellements...The Ritual
The Cellar
The Nightshade Circus
The Volt
The Colony
The Chop Shop

Other attractions included the two stages (with live music), the booster/xlr8 ride, street theatre (actors, stiltwalkers and firebreathers).

Before I start I must say that I haven't done any other scare attractions other than Tulleys and the last year I did it was back when they still had the field of screams. This year I did a quick run through on the last day of 4 of the attractions-so I didn't get round them all but I worked there this year so I had the opportunity to ask lots of guests their opinions on all of the mazes so I'll add those in where I lack personal experience.

So, reviews....

The Horrorwood Hayride- Not much to say about this apart from that it's the usual classic that isn't to be missed! It's sometimes more fun than scary, but there are still plenty of opportunities to get a scare. For anyone who hasn't been, this is a trailer ride through the woods where you go through sets and themeing complete with actors and fire effects etc. From what I could tell it had changed a bit since I had last visited (a few years ago) but was similar to more recent years.

The Haunted House- Another classic, probably the least scariest, and lots of people seemed to agree with this. Didn't get a proper run through myself. Again, from what I could tell it was very similar to how it has been in previous years.

Hellements....The Ritual- I didn't get through this one either but it's a hooded maze that focuses more on sensory stuff than (obviously) visual scares. This seemed to get decent reviews from the guests (like all of them really)!

The Cellar- I didn't get through this one either but it had a reputation for being one of the scariest. I believe this one has been around a few years but still remains one of the scariest at the park. From what I have seen in photos/heard it had some good theming and actor scares in it.

The Nightshade Circus- I did this one! (Yay) So this is the only circus themed maze that I've done so I can't really compare it to others. However I really enjoyed it and thought that the mix of curtains maze and normal walkthrough worked well for variety. It had the dreaded scary cushions (which seem to freak out a lot of people....the amount of times people asked me about these!) and the actors were really good. This maze had been renamed since last year but I think a lot of it is the same/similar to previous years.

The Volt- Now I didn't get through this one but this was the most mixed out of all of them from what others had said. This maze was electricity themed and was the darkest of the mazes. It had electric pads on the walls that if you touched you got shocked from. Apparently the shocks weren't too bad (obviously) but they did sting and give you a fright. Some people were disappointed with this maze mostly because they had managed to go through without getting shocked. The people that I spoke to who had got shocked loved the maze and often said that it was their favourite.

The Colony- I did this one and think it was my favourite out of all of them! Apparently this used some aspects of the past "Tunnels" maze. This maze was themed around an isolated cannibalistic colony of humans- a sort of post-apocalyptic, tribal theme. it consisted of both indoor and outdoor sections, a ridiculous dark section that I got stuck in for ages and various effects. The theming was really well done and used lots of wood and natural materials. There were lots of good jump scares, with sections containing lots of props (like I think there was a tribal kitchen type room) which provided excellent distractions whilst the actors jumped out at you. I remember a particularly good one where leaning down from above in one of these rooms!

The Chop Shop- This was considered the scariest at the park by most people and lived up to this reputation! The outside theming in itself was great and made it hard to believe that this was a seasonal attraction! This maze was themed around an america hillybilly/redneck family garage and the actors did a great job maintaining great accents for it! The first few rooms were full of props, there was even a whole old car! These props, like in the Colony, were a great distraction as you went through because there were so many areas that actors could be hiding in. The second half of the maze was a kind of ramped up chainsaw finale that was very long, confusing and intense. This worked really well. Lots of and lots of people were seen running from the exit of this one!

There are a few youtube videos online with reviews, theme park worldwide did one (although I think their review was a bit harsh and mostly based off the fact they didn't get a good run through The Volt- Shawn did say that the Chop Shop was one of the best, if not the best maze he'd done, (I'm also the host he gives a shoutout to for recognising him at The Cellar!)) and some youtubers like "Zoella", "Marcus" and some others visited and vlogged at the park as well too if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Overall I think the new additions were a great success, particularly The Chop Shop and The Colony. They seem to have really upped their theming in these new mazes so I would definitely recommend going to see them next year even if you've done all of the others previously.