What's new

Top Tens: Combined or Split?

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Sanchezmran said:
It's just silly really. If we're going to split up woodies and steel, we might as well split up the different steel types (inverts, megas, launched, etc), as those differ from one another as much as a woodie differs from a steel.
This.
Combined is the way to go. Although I use the CoasterCount app (no longer in the app store I'm pretty sure), which makes a combined list and also makes split lists, although I never pay attention to the split lists. Combined is the only way I rank my coasters.

Lofty

CF Legend
Jarrett - you have a girlfriend? I don't think you've ever mentioned it…

Anyway - yeah. 1) There's no right or wrong, it's down to your own personal preference in my opinion and 2) Does it matter to anybody else how you do it?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
First of all, I think you need to have a certain amount of wooden coasters if you're going to have two counts, your top ten wooden coasters can't be your ten wooden coasters if you're going to be 'official' about it.

In reality, for me, ranking coasters is all about my pure enjoyment, therefore I will always combine them.

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
1. Did you really have to write out ALL THAT DETAIL about your relationship? I thought this was a Coaster Website, not a relationship website.
2. DOES - IT - REALLY - MATTER - ? ! ? !
I mean your favorite coaster is your favorite coaster, I don't even keep a top ten, because how can I rank coasters? Some days I feel like Great Bear, other days I feel like driving the 3 hours to ride I305 20-40 times in a day. Some times I feel like going to Knoebels and riding Phoenix again and again. Heck sometimes I'll even drive out to Lakemont Part to ride the oldest coaster in the world. It's whatever I'm feeling like that determines my favorite coaster or not.

Food for thought comrades <3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
KingOfI305 said:
I mean your favorite coaster is your favorite coaster, I don't even keep a top ten, because how can I rank coasters? Some days I feel like Great Bear, other days I feel like driving the 3 hours to ride I305 20-40 times in a day. Some times I feel like going to Knoebels and riding Phoenix again and again. Heck sometimes I'll even drive out to Lakemont Part to ride the oldest coaster in the world. It's whatever I'm feeling like that determines my favorite coaster or not.
This is an interesting way of thinking about your favourite coasters.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's different!

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Hixee said:
KingOfI305 said:
This is an interesting way of thinking about your favourite coasters.

I don't necessarily agree, but it's different!

But what I don't understand with "top tens" is how can you compare I305 to Great Bear? They're completely different coasters with completely different designs and features. How can you compare Steel Force to Phantom's Revenge? Again - completely different ride experiences with different demographics in mind. My problem with "Top Tens" is it's 100% pure personal preference, and personal preferences are not enough to stand as a logical statement.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
KingOfI305 said:
My problem with "Top Tens" is it's 100% pure personal preference, and personal preferences are not enough to stand as a logical statement.
The fact that it's personal preference is sort of the point, isn't it? I don't think anyone here is really suggesting that their rankings are an absolute, logical, mathematical way of ranking coasters. A "Top Ten" is exactly that, it's a reflection of that person's personality. It's the same as asking someone if they prefer red or green, beer or wine, Aston Martins or Ferarris. There isn't a right answer, but to each individual they have their own reasons - and that's all that matters.

Incidentally, that's when it gets interesting too. Having to justify why you like a particular ride is not necessarily because you need to prove you're right compared to others, but because you need to prove you've thought about why you like one ride type over another.

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Hixee said:
KingOfI305 said:
My problem with "Top Tens" is it's 100% pure personal preference, and personal preferences are not enough to stand as a logical statement.
The fact that it's personal preference is sort of the point, isn't it? I don't think anyone here is really suggesting that their rankings are an absolute, logical, mathematical way of ranking coasters. A "Top Ten" is exactly that, it's a reflection of that person's personality. It's the same as asking someone if they prefer red or green, beer or wine, Aston Martins or Ferarris. There isn't a right answer, but to each individual they have their own reasons - and that's all that matters.

Incidentally, that's when it gets interesting too. Having to justify why you like a particular ride is not necessarily because you need to prove you're right compared to others, but because you need to prove you've thought about why you like one ride type over another.

but thats SOOO much effort. It's whatever floats my mood and my boat. My personality is fluid - I flow with the times and live in the moment while planning for a better future. Recently I'm falling back in love with Storm Runner since she got new restraints. Lawd I don't remember her ever being that smooth <3

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I really enjoy reading detailed descriptions of why someone loves a specific coaster. I'm not brilliant at putting my thoughts into words, so reading someone else's thoughts on a coaster I've ridden can be really satisfying (ad sometimes they find things that I miss) and when I haven't been on the coaster it gives me more of an idea of what a coaster would be like than the POV.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Jarrett, you're a hypocrite lol. You gave in and now you have split top tens in your signature =D> . Whipped much?

Just messing with you!

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Pink Panther said:
I really enjoy reading detailed descriptions of why someone loves a specific coaster. I'm not brilliant at putting my thoughts into words, so reading someone else's thoughts on a coaster I've ridden can be really satisfying (ad sometimes they find things that I miss) and when I haven't been on the coaster it gives me more of an idea of what a coaster would be like than the POV.

I can relate to this on some level.