What's new

Top 3 Coasters to Ride at Night

bentcookie

Mega Poster
I love coasters that can pull off a good night ride. Not many can do it in my opinion.

My top three, with #1 being the best:

1. The Beast- Nothing beats speeding through the woods and then flying through the tunnels hearing the screeching of the wheels and the screams echoing around you. Every time I ride The Beast at night, the experience gets better after every ride. It just feels so much faster and out of control at night. I live about 4 hours from the park and would soley drive to the park just to have a night ride on the thing.

2. Intimidator 305- You can't see anything back there in that corner of the park. Damn, the ride feels fast during the day, but at night...90 something miles per hour never felt faster.

3. Millennium Force- As long as you avoid front row and save your face from the bugs...the drop at night feels like you're falling into a never-ending hole.

Personally, I wish more parks had coasters like The Beast. Coasters that fly through the woods and use terrain to their advantage. And tunnels. Tunnels FTW. It'll be a sad day if The Beast ever has to go </3

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
*Voyage- It's already an incredible, incredible ride, but on a hot summer night after the track's spent all day being warmed up, you absolutely fly through the layout, it's chucking you from your seat as usual, and you can't see ANYTHING back there in the woods like that! <3

*Beast- Said many times before, this ride feels like you're trapped in a horror movie and you can't see anything. The music on both lifts as you're being lifted up with nothing but dark forest ahead of you sets a mood like no other.

*Banshee- The lighting effects on this one at night make it feel like an experience straight out of a nightmare. Not to mention it's the only light you have at the bottom of the hill.

*Millennium Force- The whole park is gorgeous lit up at night, and this ride is no exception! Dropping into darkness not knowing when it's going to end is incredible, and flying around the park with the amazing lighting is really cool.

*Magnum- Rode this for the first time at night at CoasterMania in the ejector seat and it was amazing! With the ride's proximity to the lake it's nothing but blackness for miles in one direction, and the eerily lit up water park in another. And getting thrown out of your seat with such force out of the tunnels into more blackness is terrifyingly awesome!

Honorable mention to Rougarou's new lighting effects!

S

SimonSays99

A little biased here but as German funfair lover my vote goes to night rides on Olympia Looping and Alpina Bahn. Best locations: Oktoberfest, Munich or Rheinkirmes, Duesseldorf.

Ben

CF Legend
1. Beast, obviously.
2. Boulder Dash - similar to Beast but on a lesser scale.
3. Skyrush, cause it's so insane anyway and you can't see anything happening.

I'd like to do Voyage at night tbf I bet that's fab.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Can't be bothered to put them in order because I'm indecisive, so in no particular order:

Nemesis, Alton Towers - helped by the fact that it only happens in my fav season on the year but riding the UK's best in that setting in the dark when it's had all day to warm up <3

The Voyage, Holiday World - OK so we didn't get to ride in pitch darkness but it was close enough and the erratic layout was just heightened by the fact that you literally couldn't see what was coming next.

3. Lightning Racer, Hersheypark - for some reason this ride always stayed with me as being such a fun time with s great group of people ;D

Beast wins this hands down. So much fun and such a unique experience. I'll never forget the time I rode it at night when it was foggy... What a ridiculous experience!

Dragster during Halloweekends when they had the most going up the tower was cool because it was literally just a drop into a misty void.

Lightning Racer would be third.

I don't stay until night at many parks so sadly my night riding has been limited.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I haven't done many night rides, but here are mine currently

1: Helix - The night ride on this put it 2nd in my top 10. It's really good during the day, but front seat at night it an amazing experience.

2: EGF - I've only ridden this once during the day and it was good, but I was in the wrong seat, but i rode it multiple times in the dark including final ride of the night (with fireworks and smoke drifting over the track), utter fab.

3: Nemesis - back right in the dark <3

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Helix has everything that makes night rides awesome. It races through forests, flies in the sky providing amazing views of both Gothenburg and the rest of the park, and has awesome lighting. It's a true perfect night ride.

Joris en de Draak is one of my favourite night rides because of the lighting and the atmosphere. Everything comes to life at night and it also literally flies through the track. It's amazing.

Troy is also a different beast at night. The relatively slow pacing during the day is nowhere to be found at night. It flies through all of the turns and hills, and is quite an intense experience.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
I don't have a top 3.. But Stealth at sunset during the Summer Nights event is pretty special.

davidm

Strata Poster
The Beast : yes an easy answer ; but its an easy answer for a reason - I'd ridden it a few times in daylight on a number of trips and always liked it, but not ridden it at at night until last year and it was just awesome ; out in the woods in the darkness, just brilliant...

...also surprisingly brilliant in the dark was racing around the trees and islands in the middle of Millennium Force's circuit ; obviously a big cool coaster anyway, but the unlit middle section of it was just made extra-cool by by in the almost total dark in the middle of a lit up park

Mr Freeze (not in reverse-blast mode) was also a rather splendid experience at night that I had ~10 years ago ; sitting at the front and shooting up the spike into the star filled skies over Texas is one of my favourite ever coaster "moments".

Every ride is better in the dark though, obviously. =D>

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Of the coasters I've been on at night-
1. Prowler- so much fun at night as you can't see sh*t because it is so isolated and goes out into the forest and it's an amazing GCI at day anyways, so night is even better.
2. New Texas Giant- can't see all the amazing airtime hills coming and they caught me by surprise at night
3. The Boss

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The realistic answer is Beast, Beast, Beast. But to add some diversity... :wink:

1. Beast - Amazing things happen when you are riding a coaster in the middle of the woods with no light pollution.

2. X[super]2[/super] - The only reason I rate this roller coaster so highly is the ridiculous fun that ensues after dark. Already a disorienting ride, this is amplified in the dark.

3. Millennium Force - The biggest advantage this ride has is its large footprint, sprawled across the western edge of the park, "relatively" isolated from other main attractions (granted, rides are still rather close on the peninsula). Nighttime helps lend the lift hill lighting effects to the ride, but more importantly the chill and fog effects of nearby haunt attractions during Halloweekends (as LFTL mentioned for TTD).

steel

Mega Poster
Beast, Prowler, and Voyage surely are the obvious answers? Raven is amazing too. They all have that "holy sh#######t" out of control feeling.

Darren B

Giga Poster
1. Beast - Simply no better night time experience.
2. Boardwalk Bullet - the fact that you can't see what's coming next with such a complex layout makes it brilliant to ride at night.
3. Helix - Best coaster on the planet is even better at night, front row.

Ben

CF Legend
Oh god, how could I forget Boardwalk Bullet?!

Yeah, replace Skyrush with that. In the dark that thing is mental, no idea what it does still, I just know it's awesome.

And then Skyrush at number four, the best steel coaster on the planet is another level at night.

Skyrush <3333

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
1. Beast - so eerie in the dark.
2. Boulder Dash - you can't see a thing in those woods, so you have no clue as to what comes next.
3. Lightning Racer (with a bunch of friends) - all those chaser lights and no other coaster is as much fun to ride with a great group of people split between the two trains.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpz_EJ--kcc[/youtube]